overall
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
Bury St. Edmunds, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1835   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Bottle and nitro can: Filtered. Also available as "Smooth" from nitro tap.
Ingredients: Pipkin pale malt; Crystal Malt; brewers sugar; Bittering hops: Challenger; Aroma hops: Goldings and Challenger; Morland yeast.
previously 5.2%
Cask version was first brewed in 1979 by Morland Brewery to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the MG car factory in Abingdon. The name comes from the MG factory’s works car - the gold speckled MG Featherweight Fabric Saloon, affectionately known as the Ol’ Speckl’d ’Un.
Brewed since 1999 by Greene King following the take-over of Morlands
Bottled Old Speckled Hen has been sterile filtered in the "Old Speckled Hen Hall" bottling facility since May 2006.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - OCT 20, 2003
Poured from the bottle, the first thing is a rather nice aroma. Can't really pinpoint it but somewhat fruity. The colour is a reddish brown, nothing special, but a nice tan head with the tinyest bit of lacing. First impressions not pleasant, but I'm unfamiliar to the style so I stuck on. And I'm pleased I did. It's a smooth a pleasant beer, not as sweet as I expected, but surely some sweetness. The slightest bite to the aftertaste and hints of copper? Not sure really, need more experience with the style.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
caledonian (367) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 18, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2008 Canned. Great orange copper color. Short head. Smooth, a little sweet, but balanced with a light bitterness. Not sure if the recipe has improved, but I’ve found this to be more of a regular buy.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
desurfer (1272) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - OCT 17, 2003
Golden body with small head, almost stale aroma. Thin bodied with little carbonation, Lightly hopped and balanced with a syrupy sweetness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - OCT 17, 2003
A very light golden amber color in the pour with no head, but some nice lingering lacing later on. A very strong aroma with some flavors very reminiscent of blended scotch. Very thin and light in the mouthfeel, but very smooth and easy to drink. A nice bitterness in the aftertaste, very balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
lasonovich (151) - AUSTRALIA - OCT 16, 2003
A great beer, good strong flavour and nice golden colour. Caramel kind of flavour that lingers for ages.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2003 Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. Best name ever for a beer. When I ordered this recently, some idiots with Bud Lights mocked me for ordering such an odd beer. Delicious, incredibly smooth. I love it unbelievably much. Only the pub can though, gentleman. The bottle version is just flat tasting by comparison. The pub can is so smooth and delicious. Wonderful in everyway, this is now my beer of choice when I go out. Beautiful effect when you pour it, like a Guinness. Has some of that mouthfeel of a Guinness, but nowhere near as thick. Light, smooth and delicious. Yes sir, I will have another.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Yeastmaster (44) - USA - OCT 5, 2003
The pilsner-like aroma worried me, but the flavor is really decent. Very easy to drink. Leaves a bitter aftertaste like coffee does. If I was a coffee drinker I think I'd like this beer much better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Rastacouere (6166) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 26, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 17, 2003 Amber/orange coloured with a off white head that lasts long, but shows irregularities. The aroma is timid: shy hops. In mouth, the taste seems simple, malt all the way with notes of butter, diacetyl, yeasts and nuts. Watery texture. Unpleasant dry finish, bitter, I felt a bit of astringence. It overall left me with a sad impression.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 25, 2003
I thought this was a much more impressive beer than the same brewery's Hen's Tooth, despite their overall ratings being close to identical here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bac080 (398) - Bloomington, Illinois, USA - SEP 21, 2003
Man, did I expect this beer to suck. Even the smell was so-so. But the beer was good! Really!