overall

RATINGS: 849   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Our Moylander Double IPA is fat and resiny, with aggressive and excessive hops swinging on an enormous malt backbone like naughty monkeys on a vine. Double malt, double hops - do the math, it's academic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 22, 2004
An exceptional brew to break me away from the Ruination haze I have been in. Pours a stellar deep copper, with decent head that breaks to a nice firm lace throughout. Smells of malt, raisins , wood and pine. Taste is of a slight-roasted malt accompanying a very complex middle of dates, caramel and earthy tones. Nice, hop snap thats very conservative. Solid medium mouthfeel gem, with tastes that makes you want more. So complex, silky and balanced..I've been on a month Ruination binge, it's time to come home. Very nice

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsquire (3465) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 15, 2004
Red/orange color out of the bottle with a huge rocky off-white head. Yeasty/doughy nose. Flavors of apple, pine, grass, white grape, tangerine and raw bread dough. Seemed almost thin for an IIPA. Decent beer but I was hoping for more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
snowtiger (106) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Deep amber color with big tan head. Heavy citrus hop aroma. Big cascade hop taste with some malt, and a rather drying resiny aftertaste. Ther is something at the very end that leave my tongue very dry. Astringency, that's what it is. Otherwise a very bold beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2004
Bottle. Pours deep, slightly hazy amber brown with a hint of rosiness and a creamy off white head that left some lacing. Aroma is heavily hopped, lots of grapefruit and sprucey hops with a sweet malt note and hints of pine-sol. Flavor is sweet, citrus sweet, syrup sweet then 'bam', hops take over and finish strongly leaving a definite dry pucker in the mouth. Thick bodied, creamy carbonation. Nice example of an Imperial IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
igneous1 (1496) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - FEB 22, 2004
acquired from cquiroga. color is copper, cloudy, head is a beige ring around the edge of the glass. Aroma is dominated by the pine resiny hops with a subdued grapefruit quality as well. Flavor is a wonderful combination of caramel, chewy piney and citrusy hops. the flavor of bitter chocolate creeps in midway and lastsd through the finish. thanks to cquiroga!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2004
My conversation with this beer: BM: (pours and looks at pint glass) Hmmm...Your color is moderately clouded in a copper-orangey russeted deep glow, speckled with light flecks of hops and/or yeasties suspended within your murk. beer: You make that sound bad, but don't forget my small but thickly dense dark ivory head that, sure, fades somewhat quickly to a solid skim, but that skim is always present and I have mega amounts of thinly placed sticking sheets of intricate lace all over your glass that eventually breaks into webbing patterns. BM: Yes thats quite striking to me. Pause - BM: (Whifff) Ahhh...Hello hops, I love thee! beer: You do?! BM: Yes I do, Oh so much...again, Hello...hops, boy you seem awfully resiny and highly floral, fresh and green with a great sweet tone and woodish leafy notes don't you. beer: Yep, and don't forget my lovely backing of soft caramel malt. BM: Oh I won't, seems like you've got everything in check. I could smell you all day. beer: Please, you're embarassing me. Pause - Laugh insinuated BM: (Slurp, gulp) Ahhh...Hello hops again, my oh my you are one fine and dandy hopped up beer. Your flavors aren't overly aggressive but layered in a nice complexity with wonderfully rendered resinous and floral tones that tend to bring out some very nice higher end sweet tones and woody fresh leafyness. The dryness is amazingly in control along with the bittering kept mild to my buds yet with enough grab to forward any attention that might otherwise be absent. How do you do that? beer: Well, the soft caramel malts are in an abundant quanity as to balance out any real strong or abrasiveness the hops may bring. BM: Ahhh...that's why you taste so good. Great balance with flavors on both scales weighing heavy, nice job my bottled friend. beer: Why thank you. BM: And your body seems favorable with a mediumness and some great effects of dryness with your hops. And that lingering resiny woody thing is mind boggling. I'm impressed. beer: C'mon now...stop it, I'm blushing already... Pause - laugh insinuated. BM: I must say I could drink you all night, good thing you're in a bomber otherwise I might have thirsted for more long into the night. beer: Yes, bombers can be a nice treat. I too I'm glad. For the both of us. BM: Alas, I have poured all your hoppy yummyness into my glass, I will finish off my glass and smile with glee as the hops will surely be dancing in my head for the rest of my forseen future til next we meet. beer: (Left speechless) End scene with a smile and a beer...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2004 ON tap- a little dissapointed with this one. The flavor was a little off and a little watery. Re-rate-BOTTLE- this time around it was much better yet nothing close to spectacular. Poured a dark amber with off-white head and that good old IPA flavor. For some reason I always compare Moylans with the marin brewing company and this doesn't compare with the white knuckle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Poured cloudy amber with huge head that stayed there the whole time. Fresh hoppiness along with grapefruits throughout. Nice hop bitterness and just enough maltiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3286) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Draft at brewpub. Medium orange, nice head. Big spicy nose. Big flavors too, bitter hops, spice, and pine resin. Solid sweet malt backbone, peppery finish. Oh yeah, and did I mention pine resin?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
steview (1019) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 13, 2004
very enjoyable! grapefruity, resiny, hoppy IPA with a belgian like peppery mint sense that remains involved. like biting into a fresh minty leaf. it has an herbal like qualitiy to it. quite interesting, and good! it has a huge rocky head that just won't quit, geesh.