overall

RATINGS: 844   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Our Moylander Double IPA is fat and resiny, with aggressive and excessive hops swinging on an enormous malt backbone like naughty monkeys on a vine. Double malt, double hops - do the math, it's academic.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2004
My conversation with this beer: BM: (pours and looks at pint glass) Hmmm...Your color is moderately clouded in a copper-orangey russeted deep glow, speckled with light flecks of hops and/or yeasties suspended within your murk. beer: You make that sound bad, but don't forget my small but thickly dense dark ivory head that, sure, fades somewhat quickly to a solid skim, but that skim is always present and I have mega amounts of thinly placed sticking sheets of intricate lace all over your glass that eventually breaks into webbing patterns. BM: Yes thats quite striking to me. Pause - BM: (Whifff) Ahhh...Hello hops, I love thee! beer: You do?! BM: Yes I do, Oh so much...again, Hello...hops, boy you seem awfully resiny and highly floral, fresh and green with a great sweet tone and woodish leafy notes don't you. beer: Yep, and don't forget my lovely backing of soft caramel malt. BM: Oh I won't, seems like you've got everything in check. I could smell you all day. beer: Please, you're embarassing me. Pause - Laugh insinuated BM: (Slurp, gulp) Ahhh...Hello hops again, my oh my you are one fine and dandy hopped up beer. Your flavors aren't overly aggressive but layered in a nice complexity with wonderfully rendered resinous and floral tones that tend to bring out some very nice higher end sweet tones and woody fresh leafyness. The dryness is amazingly in control along with the bittering kept mild to my buds yet with enough grab to forward any attention that might otherwise be absent. How do you do that? beer: Well, the soft caramel malts are in an abundant quanity as to balance out any real strong or abrasiveness the hops may bring. BM: Ahhh...that's why you taste so good. Great balance with flavors on both scales weighing heavy, nice job my bottled friend. beer: Why thank you. BM: And your body seems favorable with a mediumness and some great effects of dryness with your hops. And that lingering resiny woody thing is mind boggling. I'm impressed. beer: C'mon now...stop it, I'm blushing already... Pause - laugh insinuated. BM: I must say I could drink you all night, good thing you're in a bomber otherwise I might have thirsted for more long into the night. beer: Yes, bombers can be a nice treat. I too I'm glad. For the both of us. BM: Alas, I have poured all your hoppy yummyness into my glass, I will finish off my glass and smile with glee as the hops will surely be dancing in my head for the rest of my forseen future til next we meet. beer: (Left speechless) End scene with a smile and a beer...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 20, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2004 ON tap- a little dissapointed with this one. The flavor was a little off and a little watery. Re-rate-BOTTLE- this time around it was much better yet nothing close to spectacular. Poured a dark amber with off-white head and that good old IPA flavor. For some reason I always compare Moylans with the marin brewing company and this doesn't compare with the white knuckle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - FEB 15, 2004
Poured cloudy amber with huge head that stayed there the whole time. Fresh hoppiness along with grapefruits throughout. Nice hop bitterness and just enough maltiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinz (3274) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - FEB 14, 2004
Draft at brewpub. Medium orange, nice head. Big spicy nose. Big flavors too, bitter hops, spice, and pine resin. Solid sweet malt backbone, peppery finish. Oh yeah, and did I mention pine resin?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
steview (1019) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 13, 2004
very enjoyable! grapefruity, resiny, hoppy IPA with a belgian like peppery mint sense that remains involved. like biting into a fresh minty leaf. it has an herbal like qualitiy to it. quite interesting, and good! it has a huge rocky head that just won't quit, geesh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - FEB 11, 2004
Enjoyable. Alcohol well-hidden. Malts hit the tongue quickly, transitions to thick hoppy syrup soon after. I've never considered resin as a characteristic of a beer before - always get the word confused with rosin. Clearly, this is resoundingly resinous. Beautiful solar-eclipse colored with a long lasting fluffy head.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Darkover (1513) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2004
Cloudy dark amber color with a big lasting beige head. Aroma of sweet malt and resinous hops. Very malty and sweet, with alot of hop bitterness. Well balanced and not too sweet or bitter though.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1417) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - FEB 8, 2004
A head so solid that eventually folds into a thick biological blanket that must be negotiated for another sip. Even my sorry sinuses can't miss a stroll through pine trees. What an aroma! Double it is. Double the pleasure, double th fun. Endoubitably.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ZepolK (102) - South Side Montebello, California, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Wonderful hop floral aroma that you can smell from accross the room. Pours copper amber red with a huge, and I mean huge head that lasts for days. Full complex bitter hop and appricot flavor that is very pleasing. A suppurb Imperial IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - JAN 21, 2004
Huge hop aromatics slap your olfactory off the face. Heavy resinous piney aromas and flavors with just enough malt to keep you going. This was a realatively fresh bottle and the rest will be aged.