overall

RATINGS: 853   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Our Moylander Double IPA is fat and resiny, with aggressive and excessive hops swinging on an enormous malt backbone like naughty monkeys on a vine. Double malt, double hops - do the math, it's academic.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - APR 4, 2004
Straight hoppy grapefruit aroma, nice head for an ale, very cloudy, big hop taste wityh straight grapefruit aftertaste , very smooth texture. Wonderful stuff no fancy gimmicks hops the way they should be

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - MAR 29, 2004
Pours thick with an off-white head, mild lacing. Liquid is copper orange color with sentiment (yeast?) fair amount of CO2. Nose is fruity malts and piney hops. Initial flavor is fruity malts, fades to bitter-sweet hops, and finishes with fruit tones and hops, excellent. Very similar taste to Arrogant Bastard without the resin and more hops. Overall, excellent offering form Moyland's.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kbjames (244) - Utah, USA - MAR 29, 2004
This is one hoppy IPA but not my type of double. I prefer the a less earthy taste to it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
obxdude10 (2077) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 23, 2004
Very good double IPA, very crisp, smooth & drinkable, dark amber in color with a nice bubbly off-white head, some lacing of the head around the glass, aroma full of hops & pine, medium in body, the balance was a bit off, too much malt for me, the hops should have been given a better chance to really come out and smack you around, the hops did that to a point but it could have been better, nice dry & spicy flavors with notes of earth, caramel & pine, dry & spicy finish as well, overall a pretty good double IPA

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zen (41) - Long Beach, California, USA - MAR 22, 2004
An exceptional brew to break me away from the Ruination haze I have been in. Pours a stellar deep copper, with decent head that breaks to a nice firm lace throughout. Smells of malt, raisins , wood and pine. Taste is of a slight-roasted malt accompanying a very complex middle of dates, caramel and earthy tones. Nice, hop snap thats very conservative. Solid medium mouthfeel gem, with tastes that makes you want more. So complex, silky and balanced..I've been on a month Ruination binge, it's time to come home. Very nice

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jsquire (3562) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 15, 2004
Red/orange color out of the bottle with a huge rocky off-white head. Yeasty/doughy nose. Flavors of apple, pine, grass, white grape, tangerine and raw bread dough. Seemed almost thin for an IIPA. Decent beer but I was hoping for more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
snowtiger (106) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - MAR 12, 2004
Deep amber color with big tan head. Heavy citrus hop aroma. Big cascade hop taste with some malt, and a rather drying resiny aftertaste. Ther is something at the very end that leave my tongue very dry. Astringency, that's what it is. Otherwise a very bold beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2004
Bottle. Pours deep, slightly hazy amber brown with a hint of rosiness and a creamy off white head that left some lacing. Aroma is heavily hopped, lots of grapefruit and sprucey hops with a sweet malt note and hints of pine-sol. Flavor is sweet, citrus sweet, syrup sweet then 'bam', hops take over and finish strongly leaving a definite dry pucker in the mouth. Thick bodied, creamy carbonation. Nice example of an Imperial IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
igneous1 (1506) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - FEB 22, 2004
acquired from cquiroga. color is copper, cloudy, head is a beige ring around the edge of the glass. Aroma is dominated by the pine resiny hops with a subdued grapefruit quality as well. Flavor is a wonderful combination of caramel, chewy piney and citrusy hops. the flavor of bitter chocolate creeps in midway and lastsd through the finish. thanks to cquiroga!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2004
My conversation with this beer: BM: (pours and looks at pint glass) Hmmm...Your color is moderately clouded in a copper-orangey russeted deep glow, speckled with light flecks of hops and/or yeasties suspended within your murk. beer: You make that sound bad, but don't forget my small but thickly dense dark ivory head that, sure, fades somewhat quickly to a solid skim, but that skim is always present and I have mega amounts of thinly placed sticking sheets of intricate lace all over your glass that eventually breaks into webbing patterns. BM: Yes thats quite striking to me. Pause - BM: (Whifff) Ahhh...Hello hops, I love thee! beer: You do?! BM: Yes I do, Oh so much...again, Hello...hops, boy you seem awfully resiny and highly floral, fresh and green with a great sweet tone and woodish leafy notes don't you. beer: Yep, and don't forget my lovely backing of soft caramel malt. BM: Oh I won't, seems like you've got everything in check. I could smell you all day. beer: Please, you're embarassing me. Pause - Laugh insinuated BM: (Slurp, gulp) Ahhh...Hello hops again, my oh my you are one fine and dandy hopped up beer. Your flavors aren't overly aggressive but layered in a nice complexity with wonderfully rendered resinous and floral tones that tend to bring out some very nice higher end sweet tones and woody fresh leafyness. The dryness is amazingly in control along with the bittering kept mild to my buds yet with enough grab to forward any attention that might otherwise be absent. How do you do that? beer: Well, the soft caramel malts are in an abundant quanity as to balance out any real strong or abrasiveness the hops may bring. BM: Ahhh...that's why you taste so good. Great balance with flavors on both scales weighing heavy, nice job my bottled friend. beer: Why thank you. BM: And your body seems favorable with a mediumness and some great effects of dryness with your hops. And that lingering resiny woody thing is mind boggling. I'm impressed. beer: C'mon now...stop it, I'm blushing already... Pause - laugh insinuated. BM: I must say I could drink you all night, good thing you're in a bomber otherwise I might have thirsted for more long into the night. beer: Yes, bombers can be a nice treat. I too I'm glad. For the both of us. BM: Alas, I have poured all your hoppy yummyness into my glass, I will finish off my glass and smile with glee as the hops will surely be dancing in my head for the rest of my forseen future til next we meet. beer: (Left speechless) End scene with a smile and a beer...