overall

RATINGS: 842   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Our Moylander Double IPA is fat and resiny, with aggressive and excessive hops swinging on an enormous malt backbone like naughty monkeys on a vine. Double malt, double hops - do the math, it's academic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
notalush (4763) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 5, 2003
Burnt orange color with sticky white lacing - explosive aroma of citrus, pine, hops and slight sweetness - heavy malty flavor up front(caramel mostly) - really chewy throughout - hops gradually swell up from underneath the malts, finally becoming dominant in the finish, along with a heavy grapefruit flavor - extremely well-balanced, complex progression of flavors - a full-body experience of a beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Silphium (3160) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2003 Is this an Arrogant Bastard clone? Grapefruit, grapefruit, and more grapefruit. And a bit of pine, just for your sipping pleasure. Copper body with plenty of "floaties." The hops really do dominate the malt backbone, and this beer doesn't present anything I haven't tried before.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Braudog (5574) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - OCT 2, 2003
Orange beer with a burst of aroma. This may be the hoppiest beer I've ever had. It may have crossed that line. True hops chewers only.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
guzzler67 (1490) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - SEP 30, 2003
Dark amber appearance with an average size head. Hopped up aroma with hints of pine and citrus. Dominant hop taste did have a decent amount of malt balance that leveled out the flavor a bit. Moderately bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2003
I quality IPA if there ever was one. I would tend to disagree with the double part, but it's still good nonetheless. Strong citrus smell and flavor, grapefruit is the keynote there. Palate is smooth and silky with a solid hoppy finish. The whole beer overall is a little to thin, which is its only downside in my eyes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Pours a dark, darker than expected, amber color with a nice small, dense head. Not much carbonation. Aroma sweet malt, hoppy, and I can smell some alcohol in the aroma...that would be a mark against the beer...let me try again...yes, I smell alcohol. Taste, I was expecting something akin to dreadnaught, but this is completely different. Very malty, sweet, roasted, bitter. Reminds me a little of Stone's arrogant bastard, or maybe even Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. More complex than dreadnaught, Ruination, and DFH 90, but not necessarily in a good way. I would characterize this as an American strong more than an imperial/double IPA, but what the hell do I know? Overall a tasty ale, but not one that I would probably go for again, whereas I buy Dreadnaught every chance I get. UPDATE: I have to agree with many raters here--this ale is very sweet and cloying. The warmer it gets and the more I drink the more I taste it. This is NOT a session beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - SEP 27, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 2, 2006 Unusually dark in color for an IPA: a ruddy red/brown with a medium sized off white head; slightly cloudy. Aroma has notes of sharp citrusy american hops (colombus?), some malty sweetness, a touch of lemon, and a faint metallic hint in the background. Flavor is mildly hoppy, bitter thoughout, somewhat dry, acidic finish. It’s good, but I wouldn’t run out for another either.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - SEP 27, 2003
Deep amber color with Dense white head. Huge hop aroma. This is a mega malt brew. The flavor is a bit sweet for me and compared to the other Double/Imperial IPA's. It was good, but I won't be rushing out to buy another.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2003
9/26/03: bottle.
beautiful nose of hops with other evidence of sugar, spice, raisin and other fruit. red-orange body with an almond colored head. plenty of lacing. hoppy taste with some added fruit and spice. interesting, complex and very enjoyable. (beer #300 iron maiden- invaders).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bender (293) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - SEP 26, 2003
Dark reddish-brown to amber body. Big off-white head. Nice lacing.
Sweet and hoppy aroma. Somewhat subdued aroma for double anything. A caramel aroma comes out as the beer approaches room temperature.
Nice malt/hop balance. Tilting more towards malt and alcohol as the beer warms.
Medium-bodied and very drinkable for the %ABV.