overall
Brewed by Heineken Ireland
Style: Dry Stout
Cork, Ireland

RATINGS: 1894   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Pasteurised in cans and kegs, with nitrogen. As of late 2012, the 4.3% bottled version had been discontinued.
Has also been brewed in the UK under contract at InBev Magor and latterly at Heineken’s John Smith’s site in Tadcaster plant and at Monteiths in New Zealand.
Ingredients: Pale and chocolate malts; roasted barley; Target hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
dankitydancer (58) - Arizona, USA - MAR 21, 2004
love it its no gusiness but a nitrous stout is a nitrous stout and i do love my blackstuff

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - MAR 18, 2004
on tap: last night st pattys...havent had this for a while. they were serving it out of those cooler, kegerator things along the side of bass and guinness. side by side the murphys i think may of tasted better. everyone know what this beer looks like or should look like. a little more sweet then guinnes not as much bitterness, mostly espesso choc malt taste and creamy smooth on the palate. a good stout. would love to try this in ireland where its unfiltered and perfect. some day...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
badgerben (4852) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Pure black color. Nothing for aroma. Flavor is good roasted malt and slight bits of coffee and chocolate. Nothing outrageously special, but a little more taste than Guinness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Not much nose, a hint of roastedness. Creamy everlasting head. Jet black body. More flavor in my opinion than Guinness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheDean (786) - MIlwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 17, 2004
Wow, I thought I had rated this beer before, but I guess I haven't. What better day to rate it then on St Patrick's day after drinking for 10 hours (and it's not even 4pm...gawd bless Milwaukee). Good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
unclebleen (620) - California, USA - MAR 15, 2004
From a widget can. Pours a dark brown color with a nice creamy head that is tan. Aroma is roasted malt and pleasantly sweet. Dry finish with a nice mouthfeel. I was surprised with how much I liked this.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shadow (12) - Oakford, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 13, 2004
Well I gotta start somewhere and this beer was it. First encounter though with one of those widgets. Advice to other newbies: don't toast a friend and clank your bottles together immediately after opening or your aroma, flavor and palate will be on the floor like ours. Otherwise a very good stout.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 11, 2004
Nitro Can – When I opened the can, my stupid ass let the Nitro widget explode all over my girlfriends parents living room…… yeah… I felt like a Mongoloid! The beer had a nice thick luscious body, like a chocolate whipping cream. Large notes of mocha, and some very dry coffee additions and finish as well. Pretty lactic and sweet beginning but a dry and sharp chocolate coffee finish…. A toasty bit of smoky kilned malts as well. A good stout, I’m sure I’ll be having it again….. as I have been drinking this beer off and on for years now.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAR 9, 2004
A very good stout. I think this is actually a better beer than Guinness. Extremely smooth tasting with nice head and lacing. Nothing wrong with this, but nothing outstanding. Just a solid beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
chriso (7513) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - MAR 7, 2004
No longer Irish brewed (at least for those of us in the UK). I find this rather sweeter and softer than its main competitors, and a little lacking in character. Keg, Western Arms, Ladbroke Grove, London.