overall
Brewed by Heineken Ireland
Style: Dry Stout
Cork, Ireland

RATINGS: 1672   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Pasteurised in cans and kegs, with nitrogen. As of late 2012, the 4.3% bottled version had been discontinued.
Has also been brewed in the UK under contract at InBev Magor and latterly at Heineken’s John Smith’s site in Tadcaster plant and at Monteiths in New Zealand.
Ingredients: Pale and chocolate malts; roasted barley; Target hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cruddler (32) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2002
May have gotten a bad can. Very disappointed. Pales in comparison to Guiness. Lacking taste and body. My friends love this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Choke (96) - Massachusetts, USA - MAR 5, 2002
This is a great beer and i am a stout man myself,,close but not quite as good as guinness

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 4, 2002
Smooth, light and tasty. I like Guinness better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JoeM500 (1902) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - MAR 3, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2004 This isn't as thick and creamy as a can of Guinnessbut it's still a fine, very available can of Irish tout!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
estoppel (1028) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 1, 2002
UPDATED: APR 15, 2003 Typical of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MOboy (505) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - MAR 1, 2002
IMHO the closest thing you can get to Guinness. I have even had days where I prefer Murphys over Guinness! Very soft on the palate with a nice creaminess.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drinkingdan (371) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 1, 2002
I always thought that Guinness was a lot better till I drank more of Murphy’s and realized that it wasn’t that far off.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2002
Very smooth, nice change from the standard, mass produced beers. Another ’safe’ choice for my wife to pick up.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 27, 2002
I got excited when I read the reviews, but I think I still consider Guinness a better beer. This one seemed a little off.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - FEB 27, 2002
The aroma is sweet, and if I didn’t see the bottle and the brew inside I wouldn’t think this was a stout. The head is small but persistent, very fine-bubbled. Color is almost black on draught. First sip was a bit earthy, but it soon smoothed out into a nice almost completely non-bitter stout. Problem to me was the palate...it’s just too light for me...for a stout. I kept expecting more and it just wasn’t there. I liked the smell, the look, and the taste, but I think I will stick to Guinness or a few other stouts I’ve tried. I can see why some people like this one, but I really don’t, or at least not enough to try it again.