overall
Brewed by Heineken Ireland
Style: Dry Stout
Cork, Ireland

RATINGS: 1727   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   EST. CALORIES: 120   ABV: 4%
Pasteurised in cans and kegs, with nitrogen. As of late 2012, the 4.3% bottled version had been discontinued.
Has also been brewed in the UK under contract at InBev Magor and latterly at Heineken’s John Smith’s site in Tadcaster plant and at Monteiths in New Zealand.
Ingredients: Pale and chocolate malts; roasted barley; Target hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mjmurphy2 (85) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 22, 2002
Very nice coffee aroma and flavor, smooth but almost no body, if it wasn’t so watery it would have rated much better

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pilsnerrogge (2497) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 20, 2002
Dark, dark brown with a thick, firm head. Full bodied flavour with both coffee and chocolate in a wonderful mix.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2002
My third favorite of the big three - a little harsher, less refined perhaps than Beamish in particular

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
radiomgb (2249) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 16, 2002
I have been waiting a long time to try this one and I am glad to say that I was not dissapointed. Really creamy and smooth head and is just a little less bitter then Guinnes. Can’t wait to have another.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
crdic (105) - California, USA - JUN 15, 2002
Black and beautiful, but with a rather weak head and not much aroma. Generally, this seems like a watered-down <a href=’http://www.ratebeer.com/ShowBeer.asp?BeerID= -- basically similar in every way, but thinner and weaker.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
karsten (240) - odense, DENMARK - JUN 11, 2002
Very creamy head. Nice mild bitterness in flavour and aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
IneedAbuheer (69) - Ingleside, Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2002
A decent stout, but my experience was one of a mild and watery brew with weak stout characteristics. Based on the other strong scores, I may have to get another to rerate. Others are comparing this to Guinness-in my opinion Guinness is much better.

BeerManiac6699 (11) - USA - JUN 7, 2002
My absolutely favourite stout out there. Even though I drink other stuff besdes stout, when asked about my favourite beer it’s gotta be MURPHY’S STOUT. I used to think Guiness was the shit until I tried this several years ago. Those two are indeed close in many ways, but Murphy’s has the better flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ucsbdude (68) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - JUN 4, 2002
Not bad.I perfer Guinness over this, but a great stout.Dark and rich with subtle coffee and chocolate flavors.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 3, 2002
To me, Guinness looks better, but Murphy’s taste better. Murphy’s flavors are more pronuonced of burnt chocolate and pine. When given a choice from on tap, I always take Murphy’s over Guinness. Mouthfeel is silky creamy smooth. Not bad for a mass produced beer.