overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Onekaka, New Zealand

RATINGS: 47   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A red brown beer flavoured with the freshly picked tips of the Manuka tree. A very distinctive beer with proven medicinal qualities. The only one out of 240 New Zealand beers to rate 10 out of 10 in Keith Stewarts book ’The complete guide to New Zealand Beer’. Also featured in ’Best - a New Zealand compendium’. Compiled by Ella Griffiths, published by Awa Press. Also available on tap at Hopgood’s in Trafalgar St. Nelson, The Abbey at Appleby and Jester House in Tasman.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Papsoe (25094) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - FEB 7, 2008
(On tap) Slightly hazy amber with an off-white head leaving some laces. Exotic, spicy and enticing aroma. Medium body with light notes of caramel, exotic fruits and a dry and fairly bitter finish. Incredibly flavourful for such a light beer. 290108

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bozoNZ (719) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 27, 2007
Tasted Jan 07 @ Brewpub. Full rich head, brown amber colour. Big full bitterness up front, great body and luscious finish with the manuka. Embalm me with this please. I love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MOFO (26) - Melbourne (Prev: Chch, NZ), AUSTRALIA - DEC 14, 2006
I love this - can not get enough of it. Unfortunately I often have to drive, so can not guzzle nearly as much as I would like. I believe the comments on this beer on the site reflect perhaps an unfamiliarity with Manuka, the key flavouring. For me, every sip is quintessential New Zealand. It is a winner as beer for me on its own merits - I would quite happily have thi as the beer to represent NZ in a showing. Tasting Notes: Served on tap @ the Mussel Inn, Dark Brown in appearance with only a hint of redness. Frothy but relatively light carbonation. Biiter initial taste with the sweetness of the manka hitting the roof of your mouth. Lingering Manuka aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wilbeer (4) - sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 3, 2006 does not count
Smooth yet spicy ..... Head will vary as with most beers that are not force carbonated.. A complex well rounded flavour..Not to be missed if you are in the South Island

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
omhper (18944) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - FEB 9, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 7, 2007 Draught at the brewpub. Cloudy brownish amber, no head. Strong spicy aroma - I get cinnamon and ginger. Light bodied and medium sweet with rounded mouthfeel. It is rather fruity and has some late herbal bitterness. An interesting beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dreamboat (186) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - MAY 4, 2004
Recommended to me by those who had tried this brew, I was somewhat put off by the "cough mixture" aroma, but once I got started I couldn’t get enough of the stuff. Poured a mid brown, and held its head very well. Carbonation was good, light and even. Pity I had to drive later in the afternoon or I would have had a great time at the Mussell Inn. Really a must visit if you are anywhere in the area.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kaya161 (1128) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 25, 2002
This beer is fermented with manuka tips, which give the beer a medicinal, spicy aroma and herbal flavour to match. Although I’m not a huge fan of the style, it reminds me of Faroach Heather Ale.