overall
Brewed at Invercargill Brewery

Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Onekaka, New Zealand

RATINGS: 48   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A red brown beer flavoured with the freshly picked tips of the Manuka tree. A very distinctive beer with proven medicinal qualities. The only one out of 240 New Zealand beers to rate 10 out of 10 in Keith Stewarts book ’The complete guide to New Zealand Beer’. Also featured in ’Best - a New Zealand compendium’. Compiled by Ella Griffiths, published by Awa Press. Also available on tap at Hopgood’s in Trafalgar St. Nelson, The Abbey at Appleby and Jester House in Tasman.

xbrewer (1) - , NEW ZEALAND - SEP 11, 2008 does not count
beautiful, well balanced flavoursome Beer!!nose like three boy’s wheat but as good a session ale as you would find pushed out by the likes of Harvey’s of Lewes or Fullers in the old country. This is without a doubt the best beer find I have made in 2008 and I may have to move to golden bay just so It would be my local, fantastic work guys!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MOFO (26) - Melbourne (Prev: Chch, NZ), AUSTRALIA - DEC 14, 2006
I love this - can not get enough of it. Unfortunately I often have to drive, so can not guzzle nearly as much as I would like. I believe the comments on this beer on the site reflect perhaps an unfamiliarity with Manuka, the key flavouring. For me, every sip is quintessential New Zealand. It is a winner as beer for me on its own merits - I would quite happily have thi as the beer to represent NZ in a showing. Tasting Notes: Served on tap @ the Mussel Inn, Dark Brown in appearance with only a hint of redness. Frothy but relatively light carbonation. Biiter initial taste with the sweetness of the manka hitting the roof of your mouth. Lingering Manuka aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bozoNZ (719) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 27, 2007
Tasted Jan 07 @ Brewpub. Full rich head, brown amber colour. Big full bitterness up front, great body and luscious finish with the manuka. Embalm me with this please. I love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wilbeer (4) - sydney, AUSTRALIA - DEC 3, 2006 does not count
Smooth yet spicy ..... Head will vary as with most beers that are not force carbonated.. A complex well rounded flavour..Not to be missed if you are in the South Island

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DuffMan (6555) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - MAY 17, 2009
On tap at the brewery. Very fragrant fruity perfume aroma, not at all like tea-tree oil as I would have expected (manuka is New Zealand tea tree). Equally generous portions of sweet malt and uniquely appealing floral and fruity perfume. Extremely tasty, full flavoured, and perfectly balanced. Unique and fantastic, worth seeking out. Compellingly drinkable!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jimthechap (1572) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - MAY 22, 2011
Rosewood to russet-copper in colour, but a head that all but disappears upon pouring. Nosing brings forth something very special. Roses, manuka, native timber on a bonfire, turkish delight, flowers, lime peel and caramel. This beer is an aromatic triumph. It doesn’t stop at aroma though. All of those flavours appear in excelsis on the palate with full mouthfeel, but not sweet or cloying. This beer fills the mouth with soft, lingering bitterness. There is everything to like. I feel no bias toward a beer from the land of my nativity (Golden Bay) because it speaks for itself an it makes me proud.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dreamboat (186) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - MAY 4, 2004
Recommended to me by those who had tried this brew, I was somewhat put off by the "cough mixture" aroma, but once I got started I couldn’t get enough of the stuff. Poured a mid brown, and held its head very well. Carbonation was good, light and even. Pity I had to drive later in the afternoon or I would have had a great time at the Mussell Inn. Really a must visit if you are anywhere in the area.

grapengrain (125) - Havelock North, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 17, 2010
Has a slight green, musty, woodsy leafy note from the manuka leaf complemented by nice rich but crisp malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheRealMGD (551) - Lakewood, Washington, USA - SEP 28, 2011
Bottle at Brew on Quay. Clear orange-brown pour with a short, off-white head leaving moderate geographic lace. Initial nose is a bit like deodorant soap, but there is a notable spiciness with fruit and some medium-roast malt that is quite pleasant. Medium, silky body with fine carbonation that is almost nitrogen-like, a great swallow. Wood, nutmeg, cashews, weak pine hops and caramel. Finish is of medium length, fairly sweet and nutty. Lovely drop, one of the best ales I’ve had in NZ!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ingevara (790) - SWEDEN - JAN 23, 2012
Dark red, average head. An alternative spicing with the bitter manuka leaves gives it a different, and refreshing, bitterness, very appealing after too many bland NZ lagers. Slightly sweet resin, a hint of green tea, red winde and caramel. I only had one bottle, but I could have used more.