Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter

Formerly brewed at Närke Kulturbryggeri
Style: Imperial Stout
Örebro, Sweden

RATINGS: 554   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.49/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Imperial Stout brewed with heather honey and aged on oak-barrels for 2½ months. Serve at minimum 14 dgs. Share the bottle. It was first brewed in October 2005 and ages well for several years. Beer is Art!

2005 version is 9%.
2006 version is 10%.
2007 version is 9%, released 2008-09-11.
2008 version is 9.5%, released 2009-09-17.
2009 version is 9.5%, released 2010-09-23
2010 and 2011 versions cancelled due to family issues.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - OCT 31, 2007
Royal Park Beer Festival. 2006 vintage. The emperor has no clothes? I’m not sure, he’s definitely not as well-dressed as he thinks, IMO. The aroma just screams coconut, to the point of not much else getting through. So bourbony - it’s completely dominant. Piney, minty American hops mixed with coffee and chocolate in the US stout style underneath. Bourbon doesn’t affect the flavour nearly as much - no noticeable saltiness or booziness, which I appreciate, but I didn’t detect any oak character either. The barrel-aging doesn’t seem to have added much besides the rampant bourbon aroma, it’s more like an imperial stout with a shot of bourbon. And the thing is it just doesn’t taste like good bourbon either, it really reminded me of white label Jim Beam. I dunno. I mean, it’s quite a nice beer, but obviously you’re gonna have high expectations with a beer like this. If this is what barrel-aged imperial stouts are all about then I’ll just stick with the plain ones I think.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - OCT 31, 2007
(2006 bottle, at Konttori Tampere) Almost black colored, slight red colored. Little brown head. So, this is it. Aroma is excellently deep one: oaky-vanilla is dominating here, roastiness with nice hopped tone and licorice also here. Mild alcohol noticable too. Full bodied. Flavor is even better: same vanilla-oaks dominating in start, also licorice and chocolate here. Aftertaste is finely balancing with strong hops and dryness, vanilla lasts until I’m home. Alcohol covered in flavor totally. So, this was it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 20/20
harrisoni (17352) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - OCT 28, 2007
2006 Bottle bought at GBBF 07. Black colour with a thin tan head. Intense choc aroma. Like the highest cocoa chocolate you can buy, plus a distinct heather aroma. A little bit of petrol and tar too. Opened with very little carbonation but carbonation is evident in the glass. I’ve had this twice before at GBBF and at RBESG and both times I was blown away by it. Serving temperature is very important. Too cold and you lose a lot of depth of flavour. Pours oily, clear dark brown. Heathery aroma is quite distinct. Lovely in mouth, but for me, the outstanding thing about this beer is the finish and is possibly the best finish I have tasted. Breath taking. It stops me in my tracks. As it warms up, the beer opens up and the aroma and finish are truly sublime. Gorgeous, lovely and I have another 2 bottles to hone my review. Heather gives it a final spicy kick. Worthy as my 4k beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FatPhil (14044) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - OCT 28, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 5, 2011 275ml bottle (Porvoo Harvest/Dark Beer Festival 2007) 2006 vintage Jet black, espresso head. Toffee liquorice vanilla aroma soft but very powerful. Mocca and whisky taste - again very powerful, but quite mellow. Whisky definitely dominates, quite alcoholic. Excellent sipping beer, not for glugging, that’s for sure. Looks like it’s been made to taste of whisky rather than to taste of wood that’s been steeped in whisky, or even to simply age itself. In retrospect, this isn’t vastly superior to any of the other whisky-laced beers, but as my first in the style I was very impressed by it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ekstedt (6526) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 20, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2011 Bottle (Vintage 2006) at Bishops Arms, Avenyn, Göteborg, Sweden. Pours black with a slight red/brown edge and a tiny beige head. Strong cognac-like barrel notes first with wood and coconuts, thereafter roasted chocolate with notes of dark berries, and finally a mild touch of alcohol. Extremely smooth mouthfeel, and a perfect balance with a dry finish. 9/4/10/5/18 -> 4.6.

Vintage 2007 sampled at the EBF 2008. More pronounced oak aroma in this version (unfortunately), still very good though. 7/4/10/5/16 -> 4.2.

Vintage 2005 sampled together with 2006 & 2007 at SMÖF 08. Even better than the 2006 version, perhaps due to aging. My overall rating becomes 4.5

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBiker (1414) - Odense, DENMARK - OCT 13, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2008 # 800. [Odense-tasting at Scheffel. A lot of thanks to Christian.]
Had some dreams to sample this wonderbrew in a few years, but it succeeded already now ......and what a brew. As cab mentioned, "It’s quite on the edge and it cannot be better." Anywhere you’ll improve it, it’ll fall. He gave it 5.0, but I’ll let a 0.1 left to the brewers of Örebro to make another superbrew. Notes of wood, vanilla, smooth roast, coffechocs, weak dried fruits, ingrediently and intense aroma of some port and oak also. Flavour needs concentration to note, caused by the complexity and I’m hoping for a refill one day!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zathrus13 (1764) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Pours black, with a brown head. Aroma is bourbon, dark fruit, vanilla, coffee, wood, and vanilla. Flavor is bourbon, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit, and vanilla. Body is medium, thinner than I expected. A very good beer, very happy I got to try it. I wish the bottle was a little bigger, though. Thanks to Francois_Mtl for trading me this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
benhwilkinson (24) - Little Soudley, Shropshire, ENGLAND - OCT 6, 2007
Bottle on sale at the molen in Bodegraven. Jet black in color almost like oil! Various flavors, chocolate, coffee, fruit. A lot going on!! A very complex beer. I did enjoy it but I preferred the Rasputin from the molen.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dedollewaitor (15575) - Odense, DENMARK - OCT 2, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2010 Rating nr. 1000. (2006 version) First of all. This beer is not overrated in any way. This beer has the excact same "amount" of complexity as Westvleteren 12. It pours pitch black with creamy brown head that lasts & drags a very handsome lacing. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, vanilla , wood/oak. So smooth (velvet-like) & soft. Palate is oily & thick. Everything is perfect! My god, this makes me go for another 1000 ratings! Rerating March 2010: 2006: Had to give it a notch down. From 4,9 - 4,7.

thewolf (12131) - Kolding, DENMARK - SEP 30, 2007
Bottle @ ChristianScheffel tasting. [thank you sooooo much, Christian]
[my 1800th rating]
Well... perfection is a 5.0 rating, and this certainly is!
[2006 vintage]
Looks fantastic, completely pitch black oil look. There is a slight ring of foam on the top. Aroma assault me directly. Wood, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, prunes and raisins. Thick and oily mouthfeel. Flavour is so fantastic, I can’t even describe it. There are so many flavours and everything is perfectly balanced. Cap said it well: "this beer stands on every edge known, but never, ever, falls into the ravine".