Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter

Formerly brewed at Närke Kulturbryggeri
Style: Imperial Stout
Örebro, Sweden

RATINGS: 548   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.49/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Imperial Stout brewed with heather honey and aged on oak-barrels for 2½ months. Serve at minimum 14 dgs. Share the bottle. It was first brewed in October 2005 and ages well for several years. Beer is Art!

2005 version is 9%.
2006 version is 10%.
2007 version is 9%, released 2008-09-11.
2008 version is 9.5%, released 2009-09-17.
2009 version is 9.5%, released 2010-09-23
2010 and 2011 versions cancelled due to family issues.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zathrus13 (1741) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Pours black, with a brown head. Aroma is bourbon, dark fruit, vanilla, coffee, wood, and vanilla. Flavor is bourbon, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit, and vanilla. Body is medium, thinner than I expected. A very good beer, very happy I got to try it. I wish the bottle was a little bigger, though. Thanks to Francois_Mtl for trading me this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
benhwilkinson (24) - Little Soudley, Shropshire, ENGLAND - OCT 6, 2007
Bottle on sale at the molen in Bodegraven. Jet black in color almost like oil! Various flavors, chocolate, coffee, fruit. A lot going on!! A very complex beer. I did enjoy it but I preferred the Rasputin from the molen.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dedollewaitor (14927) - Odense, DENMARK - OCT 2, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2010 Rating nr. 1000. (2006 version) First of all. This beer is not overrated in any way. This beer has the excact same "amount" of complexity as Westvleteren 12. It pours pitch black with creamy brown head that lasts & drags a very handsome lacing. Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, vanilla , wood/oak. So smooth (velvet-like) & soft. Palate is oily & thick. Everything is perfect! My god, this makes me go for another 1000 ratings! Rerating March 2010: 2006: Had to give it a notch down. From 4,9 - 4,7.

thewolf (11651) - Kolding, DENMARK - SEP 30, 2007
Bottle @ ChristianScheffel tasting. [thank you sooooo much, Christian]
[my 1800th rating]
Well... perfection is a 5.0 rating, and this certainly is!
[2006 vintage]
Looks fantastic, completely pitch black oil look. There is a slight ring of foam on the top. Aroma assault me directly. Wood, vanilla, chocolate, coffee, prunes and raisins. Thick and oily mouthfeel. Flavour is so fantastic, I can’t even describe it. There are so many flavours and everything is perfectly balanced. Cap said it well: "this beer stands on every edge known, but never, ever, falls into the ravine".

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 27, 2007
The look: Black body with a tan ring of foam
The style: Woody barrel aged Imperial Stout
The stuff: Barrel harmoniously joined by bitter black chocolate and sweet milk chocolate. Barrel is apparent indeed, very woody. Roastiness level is somewhat low leaving room for the woody flavours. Dried raisins concentrate but never vinous. By the end the whole thing turns into a cake. Sweet yet dry. Great body. The carbonation is appropriately very active making the beer more drinkable than it ought to be. Initial opinion was a 4.3 but woke up the day after carving for more. So this is ratebeer current #1 beer. Hmmm… Amazing what rarity and a high price tag can do. I was hoping for something more from the beer on top of the mountain. I expected a new twist on the style, something different, something “out there”, you know, an experience. It’s a great beer no doubt but it doesn’t break new grounds and I can think of a few very similar and in some cases superior beers that are much cheaper and easier to find. Get drunk on that stuff and you’ll end-up as broke as the ten commandments.
The how: Back from Japan tasting at MartinT. Bottle from Rastacouere (a huge tank-you here)
The conclusion: One of the best barrel aged Imperial Stout I’ve had. Nothing new or original. A tad overrated. Current high price tag/rarity and affordable alternatives means I won’t even try to have it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bierkoning (11544) - La Tropica, NETHERLANDS - SEP 27, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2008 2006 bottle. Almost black color, with dark brown foam. Creamy aroma with dark chocolate, ash and roast. Thick bodied, but dryer as expected. initial alcohol is attacked by a flavor bomb, consisting of cream, roasted malt, loads of dark chocolate, ash, oak, beechwood and pineapple. Alcohol burn in the endless aftertaste. Complex and delicious beer, seems heavier than its promised 10% ABV. 8 4 8 5 17 = 4.2 2007 version, tap @ EBF 2008. Flower honey in the delicious aroma, combined with some oak. Licorice, honey and roast in the flavor. Lusciously sweet but still a great complexity. Licorice in the aftertaste. Again: excellent!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MesandSim (7118) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2007 A Mes rate: A Mes rate: 2006 bottle shared in the private gardens at Dorset Square in Baker Street with the legendarily generous HogTownHarry.
After lusting after this beer for some time all of a sudden I have had it 6 or 7 times. Possibly the beer I have drunk the most of without rating. (with the exception of possibly the Cantillon Blåbær.) I wanted to give it the respect it deserved and rate it with a totally fresh palate and that I did on a Thursday afternoon that was to be the beginning of a top 50 fest of beer rating thanks to Harry. Anyway... the beer.
It’s black. Totally black. No light penetration what-so-ever. A slight but solid brown head. Certainly the darkest coloured head I have seen in a long time. It’s more akin to chocolate ice cream.
Aroma is superbly roasty and full of amazing hops too. Peaty whiskey, outlandish malt, dark, dark chocolate and some lovely sugar and smoky hints. So incredibly nosable. I was appraoching half way through my glass while Harry was still sniffing at his!
Flavourwise it is not quite on the level of the aroma but still utterly stunning. Once again, incredible hops are balanced perfectly with the most unreal malt I have tasted. Beautiful rich dark chocolate ice cream, hints of tartness, spice, boozy peaty whiskey notes, utterly gorgeous lip smacking vanilla, viscous, oily and huge alcohol but oh so bloody good. Finish is of biblical proportions and just doesn’t stop. The light sting of alcohol reminds you that this is really serious stuff. Palate. Oh... my... f**king... GOD. Honestly it is unsurpassed by all I have tried previously. Totally unexpected carbonation that is so very good. Fizzes and zings around the mouth and prepares your palate so very well for the following rich velvet cream. Impossible to explain. It’s just stunning.
On the way to tipsy after half a bottle. Totally incredible beer. Having had this along side the regular Stormaktsporter I have to say that in all honesty it is hard to pick the winner between the two. Both are stunning but when geeking out and writing numbers the Kaggen just edges it. Oh, another thing, it has the best sediment of any beer ever, I’m convinced of that. I once drained every last drop of the sludge of three bottles into a glass and filled it halfway with water. It was STILL gorgeous. I kid you not. Right, that’s it. I’m off for a wank. I mean... erm... oh sod it.

MartinT (8736) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2008 My Bottom Line:
This coating Imperial Stout’s complex and portly malt profile spreads its heavy wings from vanilla realms to dark chocolate abodes, as a witty barrel apport and alcohol warming nearly balance out the wealthy grain bill.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A ring of foam surrounds the pitch black with thin brown sleeves.
-Some cherry fruitiness is found within the sweet malt dominance.
-The roasted cereals are quite well developed and lend a cushiony mouthfeel.
-The bubbling is prickly yet soft, which helps drinkability.
-The malty and honeyed sweetness also emulates anisey licorice, and perhaps black beans (although subtly).
-The body on this one was thicker than Nogne O’s Dark Horizon, which sits at 16% abv.
-This is a fantastic example of the style, but I am not sure it has enough distinguishing features for me to choose it amongst my favorites of this tenebrous empire.

Bottles; thx David and François!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HogTownHarry (6371) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - SEP 21, 2007
Bottle (250ml). Shared by an astoundingly generous mes_and_sim - I can NOT thank you enough for this, Mes. We sat in Dorset Square, a private park that was the original grounds for Lord’s Cricket Grounds, near Baker Street tube station - in two small wine glasses. Off the top, this is THE best Impy Stout I’ve ever had - I could easily have gone 5.0. Thick, oily b lack pour, with a solid long-lasting dark brown head. Aroma - well, many things, almost overpowering, I sniffed it for at least 10 minutes before actually drinking any - perfect aromatherapy for a stoutie - deep, deep roast malt, molasses, tawny/crusty port, lush herbal hops, light lactose, coffee and chocolate, hints of lactose sourness, aged cabernet-franc wine .... one word: wow. The taste follows right on - vinous, oatmeal-y, the hops increase as you get down to the light sludge in the bottom of the bottle .... hell, this is thick, silky, oily, and surprisingly carbonated, smooth long bitter/malty port-like finish and aftertaste. Spectacular, not even a little bit overrated, I want more. My last note was "Holy fuck!" Buddies for life, Mes - I take back anything I ever said about ManU!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bishopspeking (3) - Norrköping, SWEDEN - SEP 18, 2007 does not count
Well this IS a really good beer. I have just tried it once, but it’s a very limited release.