Sweden

overall
Formerly brewed at Närke Kulturbryggeri
Style: Imperial Stout
Örebro, Sweden

RATINGS: 552   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.49/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Imperial Stout brewed with heather honey and aged on oak-barrels for 2½ months. Serve at minimum 14 dgs. Share the bottle. It was first brewed in October 2005 and ages well for several years. Beer is Art!

2005 version is 9%.
2006 version is 10%.
2007 version is 9%, released 2008-09-11.
2008 version is 9.5%, released 2009-09-17.
2009 version is 9.5%, released 2010-09-23
2010 and 2011 versions cancelled due to family issues.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MesandSim (7117) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2007 A Mes rate: A Mes rate: 2006 bottle shared in the private gardens at Dorset Square in Baker Street with the legendarily generous HogTownHarry.
After lusting after this beer for some time all of a sudden I have had it 6 or 7 times. Possibly the beer I have drunk the most of without rating. (with the exception of possibly the Cantillon Blåbær.) I wanted to give it the respect it deserved and rate it with a totally fresh palate and that I did on a Thursday afternoon that was to be the beginning of a top 50 fest of beer rating thanks to Harry. Anyway... the beer.
It’s black. Totally black. No light penetration what-so-ever. A slight but solid brown head. Certainly the darkest coloured head I have seen in a long time. It’s more akin to chocolate ice cream.
Aroma is superbly roasty and full of amazing hops too. Peaty whiskey, outlandish malt, dark, dark chocolate and some lovely sugar and smoky hints. So incredibly nosable. I was appraoching half way through my glass while Harry was still sniffing at his!
Flavourwise it is not quite on the level of the aroma but still utterly stunning. Once again, incredible hops are balanced perfectly with the most unreal malt I have tasted. Beautiful rich dark chocolate ice cream, hints of tartness, spice, boozy peaty whiskey notes, utterly gorgeous lip smacking vanilla, viscous, oily and huge alcohol but oh so bloody good. Finish is of biblical proportions and just doesn’t stop. The light sting of alcohol reminds you that this is really serious stuff. Palate. Oh... my... f**king... GOD. Honestly it is unsurpassed by all I have tried previously. Totally unexpected carbonation that is so very good. Fizzes and zings around the mouth and prepares your palate so very well for the following rich velvet cream. Impossible to explain. It’s just stunning.
On the way to tipsy after half a bottle. Totally incredible beer. Having had this along side the regular Stormaktsporter I have to say that in all honesty it is hard to pick the winner between the two. Both are stunning but when geeking out and writing numbers the Kaggen just edges it. Oh, another thing, it has the best sediment of any beer ever, I’m convinced of that. I once drained every last drop of the sludge of three bottles into a glass and filled it halfway with water. It was STILL gorgeous. I kid you not. Right, that’s it. I’m off for a wank. I mean... erm... oh sod it.

MartinT (9319) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 22, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2008 My Bottom Line:
This coating Imperial Stout’s complex and portly malt profile spreads its heavy wings from vanilla realms to dark chocolate abodes, as a witty barrel apport and alcohol warming nearly balance out the wealthy grain bill.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A ring of foam surrounds the pitch black with thin brown sleeves.
-Some cherry fruitiness is found within the sweet malt dominance.
-The roasted cereals are quite well developed and lend a cushiony mouthfeel.
-The bubbling is prickly yet soft, which helps drinkability.
-The malty and honeyed sweetness also emulates anisey licorice, and perhaps black beans (although subtly).
-The body on this one was thicker than Nogne O’s Dark Horizon, which sits at 16% abv.
-This is a fantastic example of the style, but I am not sure it has enough distinguishing features for me to choose it amongst my favorites of this tenebrous empire.

Bottles; thx David and François!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HogTownHarry (6375) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - SEP 21, 2007
Bottle (250ml). Shared by an astoundingly generous mes_and_sim - I can NOT thank you enough for this, Mes. We sat in Dorset Square, a private park that was the original grounds for Lord’s Cricket Grounds, near Baker Street tube station - in two small wine glasses. Off the top, this is THE best Impy Stout I’ve ever had - I could easily have gone 5.0. Thick, oily b lack pour, with a solid long-lasting dark brown head. Aroma - well, many things, almost overpowering, I sniffed it for at least 10 minutes before actually drinking any - perfect aromatherapy for a stoutie - deep, deep roast malt, molasses, tawny/crusty port, lush herbal hops, light lactose, coffee and chocolate, hints of lactose sourness, aged cabernet-franc wine .... one word: wow. The taste follows right on - vinous, oatmeal-y, the hops increase as you get down to the light sludge in the bottom of the bottle .... hell, this is thick, silky, oily, and surprisingly carbonated, smooth long bitter/malty port-like finish and aftertaste. Spectacular, not even a little bit overrated, I want more. My last note was "Holy fuck!" Buddies for life, Mes - I take back anything I ever said about ManU!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bishopspeking (3) - Norrköping, SWEDEN - SEP 18, 2007 does not count
Well this IS a really good beer. I have just tried it once, but it’s a very limited release.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
portney (4) - SWEDEN - SEP 18, 2007 does not count
A really good beer... but not the best. I tasted this before it was bottled and it’s a wham-bam-thank-you-mam-beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - SEP 16, 2007
Bottle from the Bieres Sans Frontieres at the GBBF, so another thanks to Andy for getting this rare drop to England. (I met a guy from Sweden while I was at the bar who said he lived 30 miles from Närke Kulturbryggeri, and apart from one bottle at a beer bar, BSF was the only place he’d seen Kaggen for sale.) And after all the anticipation, a pour for me, a pour for Traci, and we begin: Brown-highlighted black, lovely rusty crema-like foam. Aroma begins with a bright dose of dried fruit: raisins, moves to dates, then figs. Now a touch of muscovado sugar, now vanilla, bananas, cardamom. Underlying all that, a building dark chocolate awareness that several sniffs in takes charge. Then eventually is replaces by rum cake. Deep sustained high-cocoa content chocolate flavor--someone playing a "chocolate" note on a grand piano and holding down the pedal. Even a minute after a sip the chocolate coats in sticky bitterness. Vanilla sweetness that is tentatively present from the beginning begins to grow, but the iodine bitterness keeps if from getting sticky. This is such an interesting beer to beer to be #1. It’s certainly a big beer, but it’s one of the most subtle, refined Imperial Stouts I’ve tasted. It doesn’t surprise me at all that this is a recipe grown out of years and years of homebrewing—it tastes like every flavor has been subtly tweaked to exactly how the brewers wish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fonefan (43888) - VestJylland, DENMARK - SEP 12, 2007
Bottle. 2006. Dark black color with a average, frothy to creamy, excellent lacing, fully lasting, brown head. Aroma is moderate malty, dark chocolate, licorice, light vanilla, amazing look and smell. Flavor is just amazing, very complex and intensive, with a very good balance, moderate sweet and biiter long duration. Body is full, texture is creamy, carbonation is lively to soft. Very very nice beer ;o))

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sigmund (6719) - Tau, NORWAY - SEP 3, 2007
Bottle, RBESG 2007 in Glasgow, Grand Tasting. Pitch black colour, creamy brown head. Very nice aroma of chocolate and roasted malts, hints of oak. Intensely rich and complex flavour: oaky, vinous, roasty, chocolate, liquorice. An excellent beer, but so is the "ordinary" Stormaktsporter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
KnutAlbert (6705) - Oslo, NORWAY - SEP 3, 2007
Bottle RBESG 07. Pitch black beer. Lots of liquorice, an amazing imperial stout. Molasses and fruit - prunes and raisins. A tone of port/sherry, too.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dedoulequeen07 (135) - london, Greater London, ENGLAND - AUG 28, 2007
Bottle at Blackfriars GBBF. Pours devine. a deep Ebony colour swirls in my glass topped of by a thick creamy tan brown head lingering at the mouth of my glass.its complexity is amazing. With such a complex bee ri find it difficult to write down all the aromas and flavours exuding my glass as every sip explores new flavours and smells. All i can say is this beer definetely gets the thumbs up from me with lashings of rich sillky expresso coffee, chocolate and smokey liquorice followed by a warm buzz of strong liquer goodness. Its chewy and tar like body slides slowly down the throat giving a fabulous bitter finish. tHIS IS WHAT STOUTS R ABOUT!