Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter

overall
Formerly brewed at Närke Kulturbryggeri
Style: Imperial Stout
Örebro, Sweden

RATINGS: 528   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.48   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Imperial Stout brewed with heather honey and aged on oak-barrels for 2½ months. Serve at minimum 14 dgs. Share the bottle. It was first brewed in October 2005 and ages well for several years. Beer is Art!

2005 version is 9%.
2006 version is 10%.
2007 version is 9%, released 2008-09-11.
2008 version is 9.5%, released 2009-09-17.
2009 version is 9.5%, released 2010-09-23
2010 and 2011 versions cancelled due to family issues.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - NOV 8, 2006
There are moments in your beer life when you’re fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time. Recently I found myself sitting down with one of the brewers at Närke, who personally took me through his range of outstanding beers. By far the best of a great bunch was the Stormaktsporter - a rare (unlabeled) bottle from 2005 that had been matured in a whisky cask for a couple of months. I was told there’s only a few hundred litres of this left in the world - just as well I managed to slip a bottle into my pocket before I left! appearance - pours as thick as engine oil. Ink black body, with a thick, creamy earthy brown head. This beer demands your respect and attention. Aroma- soooo complex. Layer upon layer upon layer, with distinct vinous qualities, buttery chocolate, coffee, spirit-soaked fruits and oak wood. Flavour - Exceptional. Port wine, mixed with powerful dark fruits (a hint of liquorice?), vanilla toffee, chocolate, expresso coffee and lightly burnt sugar. You could scoop the head up and dollop it straight onto vanilla ice-cream! Palate - despite its oily colour, the mouthfeel is decadently smooth, and totally in keeping with this style of beer. Top marks. Overall- it’s such an overwhelmingly great beer that I tried almost everything to avoid reaching the end of the glass. Twisted logic I know - but with this stuff so hard to come by I really mean it! I’ve really going to treasure my one 250ml bottle of Kaggens Stormaktsporter. Quite simply it’s the best Swedish beer I have ever tasted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Janko (7) - Enskede gård, SWEDEN - NOV 6, 2006 does not count
Once you get used to the bourbonish vanilla nose, it is easy to embrace this rich product. Personally, I like the ordinary Stormaktsporter better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
strings (377) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - OCT 24, 2006
Bottle at RBESG 2006. Thought the Närke Stormaktsporter was great, but this one has the dials turned to 11. Seems impossible for a beer to be this rich. tastes like chocolate port and makes me dizzy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Phil (176) - Kent, ENGLAND - OCT 9, 2006
You see, I have a problem with this beer. You want to know what it is, this will probably be the only time that I get hold of some. Why didn’t I share it with someone? Oily, tar like, mild vanilla, definite caramel. Love the foam. Best porter that I’ve ever had....

Egon (478) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - OCT 9, 2006
Hmm, I see a big problem with this beer. It is quite possible that I never gets this good beer again, anywhere :-( Poured part of a bottle of its oily, black liquid into my glass. Very well balanced! Notes of caramel, some sweetiness, like a good port vine. Burned oak? Some chocolate. Some salt maybe? It is very hard to describe!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Furseth (1947) - Kungälv, SWEDEN - OCT 8, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2008 Bottle: Black hasy colour, with a brown creamy foam. Aroma of maderira, dark chocolate,toffee. Flavor, is dark chocolate, a bit of fruity ending, but has a fantastic oily mouth feeling. This is the best Porter I have tasted so long. Werry nice. Full body,nice finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - OCT 2, 2006
Bottle. Menacingly black appearance, looks good, but what stout/porter doesn’t? Aroma is fantastic. Vinous, oaky, heavily roasted, licorice, chocolate, dark fruit, rum, vanilla. Palate is once again fantastic. Rich, vinous, yet the oak isn’t really too overdone in my opinion. Nice rum n’ raisin character in the flavour, with lots of roasty malt, mocha, chocolate and licorice flavours. The flavour really seems to go on forever. I tried my be as harsh as i could ith my rating, but i kept just loving it more with every sip, and in my opinion it was simply fantastic. Best beer ever (in the words of my good friend magic_dave).

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
BillieMaria (21) - Gothenburg, SWEDEN - SEP 30, 2006
Bottled. Sampled at Akkurat. 295 SEK for 25 cl. Compact, thick black colour. Beautiful colour. Smells thick from oak and tannins. Heavy, big aroma. Vineous. Prune compote. Flavour: Clear mint tone with madeira. Italian red wine appears to be like soda in comparison. This is a big beer! Huge aftertaste that lats long. A good, balanced finishing bitterness. Oaky flavour. Heavy flavour from bitter chocolate a la high cocoa with low sweetness, that makes the palate very dry. Dark sugar. Bitter boil coffee. Bit nutty. Honey. Flowery notes that comes late. Salty licorice comes late. A beer to be sipped slowly as a dessert. This is an aquired beer. I love this beer. And the brewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
larsniclas (5527) - Billdal, SWEDEN - SEP 12, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2007 Bottled at RBESG 2005, and rerated last time in november -07. Pitch black. No head. Saly oak and licorice in abundance. Extremely full-bodied.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
GarethYoung (1109) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - SEP 11, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2007 [Bottle at RBESG 06] Big chocolatey nose, some roasted notes, cherry, blackcurrant, vinous, woody, raisin, soem vanilla. Really complex, full body, sweet upfront, dry, earthy finish.