Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter

overall
Formerly brewed at Närke Kulturbryggeri
Style: Imperial Stout
Örebro, Sweden

RATINGS: 539   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.48   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Imperial Stout brewed with heather honey and aged on oak-barrels for 2½ months. Serve at minimum 14 dgs. Share the bottle. It was first brewed in October 2005 and ages well for several years. Beer is Art!

2005 version is 9%.
2006 version is 10%.
2007 version is 9%, released 2008-09-11.
2008 version is 9.5%, released 2009-09-17.
2009 version is 9.5%, released 2010-09-23
2010 and 2011 versions cancelled due to family issues.

MasterSki's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MasterSki (8) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 21, 2010
2006 version, purchased at Oliver Twist. I’ve got the ’07 waiting for the right tasting event back home. Aged in Mackymyra single malt whiskey barrels if I’m not mistaken. Served in a snifter. The bottle was given to me WAY too cold, so I let it warm for a bit. A - First, I don’t generally dig snifters for my RIS consumption - they generally reduce head volume by quite a bit, and my favorite brews don’t benefit much from the aroma "retention". In any case, it had a late-rising dark mocha, even slightly red, half-finger of foam that dissipated pretty quickly to a ring with a few bubbles at the surface and some "legs". Pitch black - there’s some pretty lace that’s generated with each sip but it quickly slides down the edges of the glass and back into the abyss. It actually looked a lot like Dave’s (d0b) pour of the Cigar City 110K+OT in my Darkness snifter. I’m going to give it the benefit of the doubt, but if I get subpar head volume in a different vessel next time I may dock this a half point. S - Sweet Jesus - this thing smells epic. Huge whiskey, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, honey, roasted malts, tobacco, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, molasses, and probably all the other descriptors used by my reviewing colleagues. The closest comparison I can think of was the incredible BA Decadence ’07, but this brew brings a slight sour note to the table that is almost a little reminiscent of the most recent Perseguidor (batch 4). I’m not sure how much time this brew sits in the barrel, or whether Swedish whiskey is more conducive to "bugs" but it’s a wonderful addition that adds a touch of depth and richness that can be lacking in other BA beers. There’s not a trace of astringent alcohol either. T - OK - you can pretty much taste everything listed in the smell, as there is really no drop-off in complexity. Whiskey, vanilla, wood, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, roastiness - they’re all here. Near the back end of the palate it fleetingly moves into BA barleywine territory somehow, with the burnt molasses flavor in there, but then it finishes with huge tannins and oak - like on par with Toronado 20th here. I’m at a loss here, because I keep picking up slight sour beer elements that my fellow colleagues didn’t mention - perhaps this is caused by the age, or the barrel used? In any case, it’s as if someone took an amazing BA beer like Decadence and spiked it with a touch of Consecration or something. M - There’s a little heat to go with the full silky smooth body and lots of stickiness. The residual feel is that "I’ve been licking a piece of wood" kind of thing that shows up in barrel-aged brews. Fairly mild carbonation. No complaints here. D - This is the only place I can really knock this brew. I was worried the 250ml bottle wouldn’t be enough for me to really enjoy and reflect on, but it was plenty. The alcohol is well hidden, but the buzz creeps up pretty fast. Also, the heavy tannic finish and the somewhat mind-blowing flavor depth make this a true evening-ender. But what an evening! It’s not very often that a brew comes along that changes my perception of what a style can do. I’m not sure if the slight sour notes were intentional, or a by-product of the barrel aging process, but any beer that marries the best of brews like BA Decadence, Parabola, and Bell’s BB Double/Cream Expo blend with stuff like Toronado 20th and Persguidor opens up my mind and palate to the amazing possibilities of beer. I understand this stuff is hard to get, but it should be tried be every beer lover at least once.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gregnsteve01 (20) - Ontario, CANADA - NOV 24, 2014
Tasteisroasted(canevendetecthintsofbirchashes&

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Countbeer (4726) - Best of E-Town mit ein Brauhaus, NETHERLANDS - NOV 24, 2014
From old notes I recently found: Draught @BBF’10: yay, I knew I had tasted it... Black beer with a medium sized brown head. Smell malt roast, mocha, oak, vanilla, light whiskey tone, some chocolate, and cream. Taste chocolate, coffee, vanilla, mocha, smooth roast, wood, bitters, some raisin, hint of soy and some sweets like brown sugars and caramel. Aftertaste is bitter with wood, roast, mocha and chocolate. Soft creamy silky mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sarlacc83 (946) - Oregon, USA - NOV 3, 2014
Well, spank me - didn’t ever expect to see this one, and then...one day. Thanks so much Todd! A: Dark black color with a thin cappuccino head. N: Oxide, cocoa, espresso, soy sauce, molasses, oak, marshmallow, and char. T: Very sweet, minorly bittered just enough to stop it from climbing off the cloying cliff. M: Thick, oily body. No alcohol. O: This is quite nice. The balance here is remarkable, and as such, this is much better than most IRSs I have had. I kind of wish I had tried this next to something like Courage. Seems like there’d be a correlation, but I can’t confirm.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
gEUS (1262) - Linden, BELGIUM - OCT 22, 2014
2006 version, kindly shared by Menno at the Zombier Collaboration Day at Struise. Pours deep dark brown with a small beige head. Subtle coffee and chocolate aromas, and some toffee fudge. Medium body with nice roasty hints, a tad watery but a very looong finish of the smoothest possible mocca coffee. A treat, yet a tad overrated, the 2006 version at least.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rouhlas (313) - GREECE - SEP 22, 2014
250 ml bottle, 2007 vintage, at home. Pitch black with beige head. Aroma is malty, chocolate, whiskey, wood, dried dark fruits. Taste is like the aroma, sweet, roasted malty, chocolate, vanilla, oak and whiskey again, light fruity. Full body, silky with soft carbonation. Long bitter (some coffee) and dark chocolate finish. When I first tried this beer, a 2008 vintage bottle in 2011, it was the best beer I ever tried and I think that bottle is still the best beer I ever had so far. The aroma was perfect, I didn’t want to drink it, I could smell it the whole night! The taste of that silky beer was perfect too! If was rating that bottle it would take a 5!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
McNeillR (1325) - SCOTLAND - SEP 12, 2014
Thanks to the Birthday Boy, Craig "Swiftkey did it" Garvie - 2008 Vintage

Opaquest dark brown, a total black hole swirl of a tan head. Rich sugary dusting. Dark smooshed figs, toasted coconut and isolated grab of raisins as it warmed and a welcoming porty porter core. Initial taste is a proper shotgun burning raidance of Meaty, juicy darkest malts - treacly charred sweetness seeping through. Vanilla pod crackles. Soily/dusty coffee dryness. Stabbing richness towards the finish, speckled fizzing out heat on the finish. A lot more layered and flavorsome than a Dark Lord, although a little more chewy meaty and leap at the finish - it’s up there and it’s mysticality will only increase each year this isn’t made.

Bottle from the Garvie Cave, Beers Of My Youth Tasting

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BenH (2495) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 12, 2014
Bottle, thanks Craig. Black with tidy tan head. Nice big aroma, roasty with licorice, molasses. Taste is very rich and balanced, molasses, licorice, roasty, ashy, dried fruits.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
allmyvinyl (4223) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 12, 2014
Bottle at Craig’s, another amazing beer from the hallowed cellars! 2008 vintage. Pours jet black with a thin tan head. Aromas of liquorice, wood, light oxidation, light roast, meaty. Taste is boozy, sweet, roasty finish. Hot, but good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Stuu666 (3544) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - SEP 12, 2014
Bottle at Craig’s. Pours black, nose is roasted chocolate, little oxidised, taste is quite sweet, soy, dry, chocolate, meaty. A little past its best but thanks Craig!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beer_est_deus (746) - örebro, SWEDEN - SEP 12, 2014
Svart öl med ett litet och brunt skum. Doft: Kaffe, kola, kanderat socker, russin, sött fruktigt vin. Smak: Kola, choklad, russin, lakrits, lite julkryddor. Lite mindre "trög flytande" än vad jag minns att den brukar vara.