overall

RATINGS: 315   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.43   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Roll out the Barrel: 5.0% Alcohol by Volume and 12 IBUs. A classic American lager and the workhorse of the Gansett stable. Available all year long in bottle, can and on tap! Quality Supreme: We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock. Taste & Enjoy: This beer is brewed just right for drinking—crisp and refreshing. It’s got more flavor than other premium lagers, yet it’s one of the most drinkable beers in the world. Narragansett has the highest rating of all domestic premium lagers on BeerAdvocate.com, and received the bronze medal for American Lagers at the 2008 World Beer Cup The History: The Lager is old reliable. It was the first beer brewed by “The Original Six” back in 1890, the bestselling beer in New England from the 1930s to the 1970s, and the official beer of the Boston Red Sox from 1944-1975.

Note:
Contract brewed by High Falls Brewing Co. for since 2007, the production moving to City Brewing in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 2009 and then to the City Brewing plant in Latrobe, PA in 2010. It is anticipated that production may be returned to Rhode Island in the future.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
YummyPork (1) - Washington, USA - APR 27, 2004 does not count
I've got many pictures of me on PePere's (grandpa's) knee where he's got a cigar in one hand, me on his knee and a Narragansset in the other hand. Those few sips of his beer (probably my first) bring back fond memories. Unfortunately, adult tasting of this beer don't live up to the nostalgia. Maybe because it's no longer made in RI? Maybe I'm confusing it with Black Label - the other beer Pe-pere drank?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Beer Guy99 (250) - Maineville, Ohio, USA - AUG 8, 2003
Narragansett is a victim of comments made by the very people that should be supporting it. It's far better than similar style beers from A-B and Miller. It has a good flavor for a golden American lager. It may even have a higher dose of hops. I taste 'em and I think it has a pretty good balance for the style. If you go to any metro area and buy the local brand name, there's always some wise ass in a sleeveless shirt carrying a 12-pack of Bud to the counter. He looks at you with the local brew and says, "that stuff sucks." And I think to myself, that's the pot calling the kettle black." People, this is a perfectly good golden lager and it's cheaper than the national brand crap that you've been brainwashed into drinking. Neighbor, try a 'gansett again."

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
desurfer (1212) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - MAY 6, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2003 Corny nose, very light flavor with a bit of bite, no finish. Due to the lack of flavor, at least it isn't offensive. It's nice to get a sixer of half-quarts for $3.50, though.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
courtney2073 (11) - USA - APR 3, 2003
Ah, the beer of a misspent Rhode Island youth. This is only acceptable for drinking out of pounder cans in your unmowed backyard with a few BBQ hamburgers. Otherwise I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone.

Michiganmike (17) - Saint Clair Shores, Michigan, USA - JAN 19, 2003
Back in the old days used to buy this for $2.88 for a 12 pack in Flint Michigan...Thank god it is no longer available locally-This beer is horrible

bythe40 (64) - USA - JAN 4, 2003
I have nothing good to say about this rank beer. You can find better products coming out of a urinal. DONT BE TRICKED BY THE 16 OZ. CAN, MORE IS NOT BETTER.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
MJL360 (2) - OCALA, Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2002 does not count
I wish it was still brewed in Cranston,R.I.

ByTheGlass (41) - USA - DEC 20, 2002
Foul! I got this in the half quart cans from a cheesy Liquor store in Southbridge Massachusetts. I had hoped it would be good because it has a long history in New England. It was sour tasting and without a doubt cheap to the nose and on the tongue. The most offensive I have tried so far of the low cost "Piss beers" pass this one by

mkrill99 (28) - USA - JUL 2, 2002
fu you prick

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - APR 19, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2006 16 OZ. Can: Maybe it’s the other beers talking. Maybe this is better than PBR. I had it in a Duvel glass at cellar temp (as I now usually do) and it wasn’t more than half bad. I bet if it was cold it would be good as a lawn mower beer.