overall

RATINGS: 333   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.43   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Roll out the Barrel: 5.0% Alcohol by Volume and 12 IBUs. A classic American lager and the workhorse of the Gansett stable. Available all year long in bottle, can and on tap! Quality Supreme: We brew our lager with six row malt, seedless hops, corn from Iowa, our lager strain (the same one the brewery has depended on since just after Prohibition), and the purest water from Lakes Ontario and Hemlock. Taste & Enjoy: This beer is brewed just right for drinking—crisp and refreshing. It’s got more flavor than other premium lagers, yet it’s one of the most drinkable beers in the world. Narragansett has the highest rating of all domestic premium lagers on BeerAdvocate.com, and received the bronze medal for American Lagers at the 2008 World Beer Cup The History: The Lager is old reliable. It was the first beer brewed by “The Original Six” back in 1890, the bestselling beer in New England from the 1930s to the 1970s, and the official beer of the Boston Red Sox from 1944-1975.

Note:
Contract brewed by High Falls Brewing Co. for since 2007, the production moving to City Brewing in La Crosse, Wisconsin in 2009 and then to the City Brewing plant in Latrobe, PA in 2010. It is anticipated that production may be returned to Rhode Island in the future.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
kevd193213 (898) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - DEC 21, 2006
Glad to see this back in Rhode Island, though sadly its not made here anymore and is made in NY by a contract brewery. Dirty golden pour. Large bubbles, fizzy bright white head. Taste is bitter, with a particularly strong finish for this style, with some hops. Good to almost great for a pale lager, and has more bite that most.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mansquito (3874) - Nueva York, New York, USA - OCT 31, 2006
This was surprisingly smooth for a relatively cheap and hoppy taste. Very smooth and grainy. Defiantely worth drinking. (not metallic from bottles as previous reviewer noted) It is about as cheap as the macro brews and a superior beer in virtually every single way. Definately a good blind buy.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 28, 2006
Not a fine beer, but a cheap beer. Slightly metallic (from can, I know, but I couldn’t find it in bottles) and grainy taste. Fairly reminiscent of PBR, perhaps with a bit more flavor. Pretty good pale lager. I’ve had much worse.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
fbennett (293) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 21, 2006
This offering from Narragansett pours a maize yellow leaving a thin spotchy white lace. The nose is sweet, white sugar, also somewhat chemical in nature. The taste starts with a sweet rice feel on the palate with a faint hop presence and a decent highly carbonated body. Definatly a crisp lager with a slight aftertaste in the finish. Decent for a macro lager, but nothing that I will be visting again.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Holdwine (1109) - Beertimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 15, 2006
I’ll give them credit for trying. Unfortunately, this is an average lager. Enough flavor to keep you interested, but not enough to make you search it out. Maybe when they start brewing their own I’ll give it another try.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaBeer1972 (1392) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 11, 2006
You have to be open-minded about this brew. It is far different now that the original recipie has been brought back. It is totally a New England tradition, and one that I never got to experience before the Old brewery shut down. Lately, this has become my "session" brew, for the picnic or the boat. It’s darker than your Bud or Coors, and well worth the $5.25 average six pack price. This one is admirable in its own class. (Not that this class will ever compete with a fine Belgian or English ale, etc.)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
tommy8768 (120) - Litlle Compton, Rhode Island, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Your typical pale lager. Light yellow, light tasting, foamy head that evaporates quick. Only reason I bought it was because of the RI connection. Better than it used to be but still not too great.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
jsou (20) - Plymouth, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 14, 2006
What a surprise! I grew up seeing this in the fridge. I had to get a "six" when I heard that someone had purchased the name just for old time sakes. Not bad at all - for what it is. Much better than the old ’Gansett. I’d choose this over most of the big American brewer’s largers (if that’s what I liked to drink).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerLover (1025) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Narragansett Lager pours to a beautiful, bright, deep golden color with a tall, thick, white head that stays, and a lively carbonation. The nose on this beer is crisp, with some good pilsner malt aroma and just a hint of grassy hop aroma. The palate is round and clean with good, crisp, pilsner malt flavor. Narragansett Lager finishes with more good pale malt flavor up front, then ends with just enough grassy hop bitterness to balance this beer out. I was worried that I was not going to be impressed with this one. I was worried that waxing nostalgic, and Rhode Island pride, would cloud my judgment. I’m happy to say, that is not the case. Narragansett Lager is a very good, golden lager, just like it was a very good golden lager back in its hey day. My father visiting from RI, brought me a case of long neck bottles($5 a six pack) which sport the 50’-60’s old school Narragansett label on them. We enjoyed many a bottle, and waxed nostalgic about the brewery, and my father hoping the GIQ (Giant Imperial Quart) would make its return some day. I would have no problem drinking this beer again, and only wish my dad had brought me two cases! Narragansett Lager isn’t going to make beer geeks sit up and spin, but this beer very much is a tasty, golden lager along the lines of Straub, or Yuengling’s Lord Chesterfield. It has good pilsner malt flavor, just enough light hop bitterness, is smooth, clean, and very, very drinkable. A good drinking beer, perfect with a ball game, friends, or some burgers and dogs. This is the Narragansett of my past, this will be the Narragansett of my future

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 26, 2006
Pours yellow with a small white head but persistent carbonation. Smells of sugar, yogurt and some vanilla. Tastes of corn flakes, grapes and some pepper. Not bad for a pale lager.