Natty Greene’s Habanero Infused Smoky Mountain Porter

Natty Greene’s Habanero Infused Smoky Mountain Porter
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 2.97/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.82   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Habanero-infused version of the Smoky Mountain Porter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Drake (8617) - Free Union, Virginia, USA - FEB 22, 2012
Served on draft at the Raleigh location. Pours a clear brown color with a thin creamy tan head. Fairly poor head retention. Aroma of rich chocolate, roasted malts and peppers in the finish. The taste is roasted malts and huge peppery notes. Medium bodied. The aroma is quite nice but the peppers are overwhelming in the taste. Altogether not bad but needs more balance. Previous raters are correct.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
Butters (3789) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 15, 2012
Sampled at the First Inaugural Raleigh Rare and Vintage Beer Festival. Dark brown pour with ring of tan head. Surprisingly, it wasn’t that spicy on the nose. but the flavor brings and INTENSELY spicy burning on the flavor and finish, though, not as much as the ghost face killah. It was actually quit nice. Interesting and well done from my limited trials with these types of beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 11/20
OldStyleCubFan (77) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 1, 2012
I dont know how to rate this beer. The base beer is solid and slightly smokey. The Habanero infusion is extremely intense. I’ve had a lot of chilli beers and this was by far the hottest. My eyes watered as I drank it and it burned the back of my thought. The bartender said this has gotten hotter as it gets to the bottom of the tank and at this point is almost undrinkable. I ’m sure the brewer didn’t mean for it to be this strong especially at a place like Natty’s. The oils from the chilli killed any head. I’m glad I had it but didn’t order another.