overall

RATINGS: 476   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Black Xantus is a rare bird and the first new release from Nectar Ales in Years. It is the First ever ďbig-beerĒ to be released under the Nectar Ales line. Barrel aged for 6 months in combination of Bourbon, retired Firestone Union and wine barrels and Infused with fair-trade, organic coffee from local roaster Jobella. Rich bourbon and coffee aromas greet the senses. Complex chocolate and tobacco flavors fill the palate. This beer displays a full-bodied mouth-feel and an overall balanced presentation. It would be a perfect pairing to rich chocolate desserts.
Style: Imperial Java Stout IBUs: 50 Color: Black ABV: 11%

shanoknowsfood (41) - Hawaii, USA - JUN 28, 2014
Absolutely amazing! Moca, Moca, Moca! Sweet, rich, deliciousness. I donít even like coffee...not the smell, not the taste, but this was one of the most incredible taste experiences of my life.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
pennywhistle (15) - California, USA - MAR 6, 2010
I found it a little sweeter, and less bitter than Speedway Stout. The bourbon flavor is there, but not too strong. Delicious beer, one of my favourite stouts.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fata2683 (2176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 9, 2009
bottle, thanks to wavers1! Pours thick black with a tall light brown head. Toast, roasted barley, and coffee round out the aroma, but there are notes of wood all over the place, and itís so nice, I keep smelling different things. Nice roasty flavors of coffee, sweet chocolate, and barley, but the finish is where itís at. Bourbon and oak with the creamiest mouth ever. Itís like a bourbon and chocolate milkshake with coffee thrown in for good measure. I love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
doublebock (496) - California, USA - MAY 18, 2010
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2010 Are you kidding me? This beer is ridiculous. If I could legally marry a bottle of this I would but I think my wife would beat me to it. Brown black color with thin head. Aroma is of port wine. Combination of red wine, bourbon, woody esters, molasses, licorice and mocha. Wow

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
zizzybalubba (1380) - Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA - DEC 1, 2010
22 oz. bottle from Grape & Gourmet. Pours black with a khaki head. Aroma of dark chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. The flavor is bourbon, vanilla, and roasted coffee upfront with a distinct German Chocolate Cake that overwhelms the palate thereafter. This combination of chocolate cake, nuts, coconut, and vanilla is absolutely incredible. There is some alcohol warming that only adds to the depth and body of this beer. This is a stunning imperial stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
robiannelli (591) - West Deptford, New Jersey, USA - NOV 3, 2011
Oh my god. Bomber pours black as night with a reddish brown head. Aromas of chocolate nibs, expresso, roasted malts, fireplace smoke, a bit of licorice, and molasses. Flavor is a full woodsy roasty malty stout flavors of kona and expresso up front also bitter chocolate no signs of heavy alcohol . Body is full and finish leaves a bitter chocolate coffee rind flavor is

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BoostIPA (1188) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - DEC 8, 2012
Bottle from dougefreeze. Thanks! Pours a pitch tar black like a liquid black dildo slithering out from the holiest of holies. Strong, in your face aromas of bourbon, booze, barrel. Taste is similar - deep black thickness, bourbon, charred oak, demonic spirits. Itís as if your limbs were slowly processed through Satans own coffee grinder, then aged in used bourbon barrels and forced upon you to drink. Itís like that. You are drinking yourself, you dark, twisted soul. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
wildbeercat (353) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 17, 2013
22 fl oz / 650mL bottle into a tulip glass. Served cool. Aroma: Reminds me of breakfast. Some nice chocolate, drip coffee, dark cereals... Thereís a lot going on. The drip coffee / malt is what I most picked up on. Appearance: Completely opaque dark brown with a dark tan head. Nice lacing. Taste: Is this an iced mocha that I have in my glass? Wow! Coffee, chocolate, nuts, toffee, nice bittersweet-ness, roasted malts, a couple of flavors I canít put my finger on... Fantastic. Truly fantastic. Palate: Rich and full-bodied. Creamy and velvety smooth, but with definite presence and weight. Overall: One of my co-workers told me this is the best stout heís had in his entire life, so I thought Iíd try it. The aroma and appearance had me thinking that this would be good, and maybe even better than most stouts, but it was hard to believe it would be the best stout ever. The taste blew me away. There is so much going on that itís hard to pick up everything. This is one of those beers I could drink over and over and find something new each time. Phenomenal work, Nectar Ales. Phenomenal.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ajm (1063) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 30, 2009
Tap at Verdugo Bar. I will drink this anytime, any place. Full nose of chocolate-covered bourbon, coffee and love. Color was black with little head and lacing like a Victorian cravat. Flavor very full - smooth bourbon, roasty coffee, toffee, a pinch of dark fruit, nice elegant wood... damn. What makes this so great to smell and taste is the smoothness. So well crafted - probably more so than anything FW does.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
davidm (1928) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - JAN 9, 2011
Tap at the blind tiger. Great beer. Aromas of milky chocolate, expresso, and a hint of grass. Taste is sweet, with very long length. Palate is syrupy and rich, full bodied. Black, with no head.