overall
Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 1955   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.7   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
This dark vienna-munich type beer has had extraordinary acceptance in international markets. Exports to the U.S. began in the early 80´s, and have since attained great success in Europe, Australia, Central and South America.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
robertjm (737) - Albany, California, USA - MAY 7, 2003
As a general rule, there's only one day a year that I drink Mexican beer, Cinco DeMayo. And the only Mexican beer I voluntarily drink is Negra Modelo. With that said, on to the review. Slightly darker than amber color. Typical Mexican lager taste, with a slight hint of the darker malts. Head was nothing to speak of. Same for hops.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
DYCSoccer17 (3228) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 7, 2003
Dark garnet red color body with quickly disappearing head. Has distinct Mexican beer bouquet...I cant really localize it, though. Palate has a very good body, with very mild carbonation. Not too sure what I taste. Beer does not seem overly hoppy, and the finish is good without bitterness or ethanol flavor. I think it's a pretty good social drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
flemdawg (524) - Naples, Florida, USA - MAY 2, 2003
I had made the comment earlier that the only good alcohol to come out of Mexico is tequilla. Well, that may not be totally true after trying this brew. Now it was not great but good. The flavor was good with some chocolatey notes, and a bit of a sweet finish. I cannot comment on the color because as I drank this in a real Mexican resturant, they served it to me in a yellow water glass. I still liked it though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Shag (2561) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - APR 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2004 The best Mexican beer Ive had to date. Aroma is of caramel and very similar to the aroma of many brown ales Ive had. Appearance is a transparent brown. Flavor is smooth and malty with some hints of caramel and chocolate. Good beer. This would be my Cinco De Mayo beer of choice while all the other clowns at the restaurant get Corona and act cool when they stick their thumb in the bottle and turn it upside to get the lime to go to the bottom? Why do people do that anyway??!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - APR 28, 2003
I'm amazed that such a dark beer has such little flavor. When it first hits your tongue it has some taste, but after that, nothing. The best things about this beer are the bottle and the way it looks in the glass. It's better than Dos Equis though. Maybe I just don't like viennas.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - APR 19, 2003
The best beer from Mexico I've tried. Has some English charater. I've only seen this at resturants so It comes expensive. Blots out the hot food!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
bac080 (398) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - APR 14, 2003
Bitter but still manages to be smooth. The best thing is, you can get it at most Mexican restaurants.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
hotstuff (3954) - Indiana, USA - APR 12, 2003
This brew had a decent lacing to it.In my opinion it has a fruity aroma to it.I found this brew to have a bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
thedm (4889) - Fort Wayne, USA - APR 12, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2003 This brew poured a small light brown head of small to medium sized bubbles that quickly faded away and left a good lacing. It has a transparent dark brown body. It has a slightly fizzy smooth malty taste and a malty aroma.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
desurfer (1190) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - APR 4, 2003
Tan head, deep reddish gold colored body. Not much aroma aside from some maltiness. Smoky malt flavor. Acceptable but not exceptional.