overall
Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 1984   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.7   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
This dark vienna-munich type beer has had extraordinary acceptance in international markets. Exports to the U.S. began in the early 80´s, and have since attained great success in Europe, Australia, Central and South America.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 26, 2003
Mildly sweet & malty with a watery thin body. Lightly bitter at the end with an unpleasant sour aftertaste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
shintriad (700) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 25, 2003
Tastes cheap. Sweet, kinda corny, I suppose better than your average American brewski as far as actual flavour, but too much of it makes me feel kinda ill (to be fair, it wasn't very cold). I actually poured half of it in the sink, which I hardly ever do. Not refreshing, more like one of those sweet malt-pops you sometimes find in Israeli restaurants.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - JUN 24, 2003
Clear brown with a coarse bubbled head that disappears quickly. Malty, musty aroma with a hint of hops. Thin bodied, fairly well balanced, somewhat sweet with a measure of hops. As others have noted, the best Mexican beer out there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUN 23, 2003
I really cant get too excited about drinking Negra Modelo. I find it to be one of the better Mexican beers, but that still doesn’t say a whole lot. This beer pours an average sized head that quickly disappears; it has a watery body, a sweat aroma, and a slightly bitter finish. I will continue to drink it at Mexican restaurants, but only there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hayden1215 (321) - Ohio, USA - JUN 23, 2003
Dark amber in color with a fizzy off white head, diminishing. Aroma is lighly malt with notes of caramel. Flavor is sweet and lighlty bitter. Some hop presence. Smooth and watery. Better than corona and others of the ilk.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bjbrown24 (61) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JUN 20, 2003
My favorite mexican beer. Way better than Corona, Dos Equis, etc. A dark beer but doesn't have a bad bitter taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JUN 16, 2003
Bottled. Dark golden colour. Pleasant smooth malt nose. On a pleasant warm summer night in London, standing around the BBQ, this beer went down a treat. I was really back to my Ratebeer best. Smooth soft white head, that persisted throughout. The body was silky soft that transitioned through to the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
skortila (4433) - Baarn, NETHERLANDS - JUN 11, 2003
Malty aroma. Clear, dark red appearance, not much head. Taste is malty, sweet, watery. Not much palate.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
celogan (201) - Oroville, California, USA - JUN 5, 2003
Well, It has a nice bottle. Maybe I got an old bottle. I didn't think there was all that much carbonation. Not flat, but seems like it should have been more. Very Malty, and I tasted No Hops at all. Head evaporated almost immediately, and there was no lacing either. Based on this experience, I would not purchase this again. I might drink it if given to me with no other choices and I was really thirsty for a beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
beastdog75 (362) - Brick, New Jersey, USA - MAY 27, 2003
Probably one the better beers to come out of Mexico. Decent malt nose and flavor. Slightly fruity with good roasted notes. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but this is a good beer to have with any Mexican dish.