overall
Brewed by Grupo Modelo (Corona)
Style: Amber Lager/Vienna
México DF, Mexico

RATINGS: 2005   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.71   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
This dark vienna-munich type beer has had extraordinary acceptance in international markets. Exports to the U.S. began in the early 80´s, and have since attained great success in Europe, Australia, Central and South America.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2002
Best south of the border beer I’ve tried. Nice vienna ripoff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aggie80 (785) - Michigan, USA - OCT 10, 2002
Sweet, thick beer. Goes well with a spicy barbeque, but not the best dark ale I’ve had. Probably one of the best of Mexico. Nice appearance, but is weaker than one would expect.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jfishback13 (275) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - OCT 8, 2002
This is listed as a black ale... I love black ale’s.... this, my friend, is no black ale. This is a lager. It’s good for a lager, I was just disappointed at the thick, black, Mexican goodness I had set myself up for. It’s a good base and tastes like some of my favorite lagers, only a bit more bland/watered down... if they’d try a bit of a bolder statement, they might be on to something here.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
JoeM500 (1905) - Crown Point, Indiana, USA - OCT 7, 2002
Dark and nearly noseless. Nothing offensive here. Nothing to get excited over either. It will put out the fire of a habenero pepper better than the usual skunky Mexican Lagers.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - OCT 3, 2002
An average beer. Has a nose that is rather boring. Flavor is far from complex, but has a has a nice smooth feeling for a dark beer. Good for a meal, but nothing special on its own.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jaseonem99 (19) - USA - OCT 2, 2002
My favorite Mexican beer. Good with fajitas.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - OCT 1, 2002
Re-Rate 10/01/02 The first time I had ’Negra Modelo’, was my first trip to Warez, which was my first weekend at ’Fort Bliss’, in El Paso Texas. I liked it then, and I still like it, while my taste has changed more often than ’Venom will change diapers the next few years’, it still is a semi-regular in my ’DBF’. Deep garnet in color, the head is light chocolate, but dissipates a bit quickly, the lace is adequate. Nose is malt, light hints of caramel. The front is sweet, the top is light, the finish is moderately carbonated, dry, lightly hopped, but a very drinkable beer, and it does go good with the spicy food in the country of origin, and I don’t mean that ’Olde Gringo’ stuff. Ranks #907 on my current 1000 beer master list.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 30, 2002
Copper color, sweet malty aroma, caremel malty flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - SEP 30, 2002
Medium dark amber under a small short lasting light beige head. Faint metallic and grainy sour with hint of sweet pumpking aroma. More nectar fruit emerges as it warms. Medium smooth soft low carb body. Sweet malt and lighter bitter flavours. Finnish is mild bland bitter sweet. Pleasant enough but lack overall character for a Vienna.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Ungstrup (29277) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - SEP 25, 2002
An amber beer with no head at all. It has an aroma of sweet oranges and some spices I can’t tell, it makes me think a little of a sodapop. It has a very tame mouthfeel - with some bubbles forming on the tongue. It tastes sweet and pretty citric - and the citric taste lingers and turns slightly bitter. Not a beer for me - at least not on a chilly danish fall night. Maybe it’s better for a hot day in Mexico?