RATINGS: 2880   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
PhysZac (69) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAR 12, 2006
Bomber. Golden orange pour with thick creamy head that clings to glass. First smell is orange. Smells doughy, dusty, and dry with good amounts of yeast. Roasty taste of biscuits with a crispy bacon flavor. Subtle pine hops finishes the well balanced profile. As it warms, more meaty and apple flavors dominate and bring along a yeasty quality. Palate is slightly dry with a medium body. No alcohol presence in any part of the beer. Nice drinker.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - MAR 11, 2006
Amber body with a white head that faded away as soon as I finished pouring. Aroma is malt centerd with toasted and roasted notes, some citrus. The flavor is similar to the nose, semi-sweet, some bitterness in the finish.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
eggman (45) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2006
12 oz bottle, Best Before 12/15/06. Purchased in Missouri and brought back by my wife while visiting family up there...Pours a clear orange-brown with a large, frothy, light tan head that lasted a good while. Fair lacing...Smell heavy caramel malt and light perfume hops. Can also detect a light alcohol/soy sauce odor and actually something very solvent like...Medium bodied with a creamy texture, soft carbonation, and a bitter finish...A long toasted cereal flavor that is lightly sweet and moderately bitter...Had this for the first time on tap in Colorado Springs but preferred many of the other New Belgium brews over this, especially 1554. The bad aroma most likely was due to this bottle being way past the Best Before date and I’d love the opportunity to rate it again. Still though, the nice toasty oats manage to shine through and elevate it to "very good brew" status.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
verge (32) - USA - MAR 7, 2006
This is a really cine amber ale. Its not sold everywhere, and not where I am, but when I get the chance Ill buy a couple cases. I really enjoy the biicuity flavor folowed by a sligt hoppy bitterness. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
withgrace (1) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 7, 2006 does not count
This beer is fantastic! I discovered it on a business trip, October 2005. Sadly, they do not have it in Kentucky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwedin (249) - Happy Valley, Oregon, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Roasted malts and coffee aroma. White head. Burnt biscuit flavor. Mild hop bitterness. Lot of hype but good drinkable beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
On tap at Tucson Electric Park. Yeah, there was alot of (over)hype in Chicago surrounding this one. I’ve had it alot in Denver and remembered it as nothing special, but when I tried it again this weekend it was better than I remembered. Pretty reddish brown body with a decent white head. Aroma and flavor spoke of caramel, but not too much. A decent, drinkable amber but not worth the hype.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
locarboy (129) - USA - MAR 6, 2006
There was a lot of hype in Chicago for this one. Even the label announced this beers arrival east of the Mississippi...hmmm...kinda like the hype for Coors so many years ago. I bit anyway. I was expecting so much more. My first disappointment was that it was not bottle conditioned. Now I know what they mean by NEW Belgian Brewing. Yah, I believe this is based on a home brew recipe. I could only imagine Jeff and Kim’s reaction upon first tasting. "Hey! We made a Leinie’s Red clone!" As for the label diScription read "toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors..." as "grainy." If you like Leinie’s Red and want to spend a lot more money not looking like a cheese head, then this is your beer. Acceptable as an amber ale, but why waste the money when you can get Leinie’s for $10 a 12 pack.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Clear, amber body with a moderate head of medium sized bubbles. Toasted, sweet malt--delicate and smooth--hits the nose with a subtle, earthy hop element laying just beneath the surface. Sweet caramel, dry biscuits, toasted bread and light nuttiness. The hop character is soft and subtle with a bit of earthy, light pine element. The body is light and smooth with delicate carbonation. The balance of malt and hop character is very nice. Well, in many years of beer hunting, I’ve never really sought out this beer, nor ever really had it before. It finally made it’s way to Chicago and I thought I’d have some when I know it’s fresh. While I don’t see the hype that some have placed on this beer, but I won’t fight the hype. It’s not my favorite beer, but if the random corner bar has this on tap, I’d rather have this than anything else. A fresh sample is rather tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
TexasAggie12 (64) - Burnet, Texas, USA - MAR 5, 2006
Sweet malty aroma. Taste is sweet with malt, hint of toffee and hops. I would like just a touch more hops.