overall

RATINGS: 3003   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kevie999 (3) - chino, California, USA - JUL 1, 2006 does not count
Very good beer, which has a light taste, but still has the elegants of a medium blend. Light taste of salt with great after taste!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
JohnnyJ (5402) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 30, 2006
I like this beer... it’s easy to find, fairly cheap, and easy to drink. I dont consider this a sipping beer, it is a drinking beer, so I rate it as such. Pours an amber color. Tastes of malt and only a small amount of hops. Biscits and bready flavors, goes down easy. Nice flavor for a find anywhere beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
crimsgst (4) - Darien, Illinois, USA - JUN 28, 2006 does not count
Tas-T. Strong and handsome, just how i like my beers. Big enough to make you smile after two bottles. Too expensive. Fucking Chicago politics man. They know, you know, I know, why we drink. They just put a cap on the damn alcohol percentage, so we’ve got to drink more. Eventually we all end up buying Michelob Ultra and become miserable yuppies buying black fenced apartments in Wicker Park talking about our new Razr phones. I need a drink.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Thanks to craig for the Bottle. I like amber’s but I do not like this one. Way too much malt creating a malty soup appearance with yeast. Very bland and almost undrinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
gearbike (512) - West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Clear to amber color. Refreshing with a malty twist but rather plain. Very drinkable but a bit disapointed from all I have heard thru the years.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
mstockton (225) - Frankfurt, GERMANY - JUN 26, 2006
Hmm...I really went into this one expecting A LOT. Some folks had bragged about it, but it tasted like just another overdone, yet quality-laden, microbrew to me. It was a little smokey and had soem hoppy flavor to it. Not my bag and there are too many beers that taste EXACTLY like this. Maybe I needed to wear some hemp to enjoy it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
holdenn (2110) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 26, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2006 this beer is overhyped, it recently came to chicago and there was a lot of hoopla over it, it is now at absolutely almost every bar, restaurant, and liquor store in the city. as annoying as that is, if they’re a place that only serves miller you could always resort to this. not a bad brew just an average brew. the aroma is very malty with bready and and a lot of carmel flavors. slightly crisp in the end. very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
marcverwayne (5) - Riverside, California, USA - JUN 26, 2006 does not count
One of my more favorite full bodied Ale’s. A deep rich flavor that grows over time.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Scarecro (18) - USA - JUN 23, 2006
A reddish amber beer. A crisp malty flavor. A very boring beer IMO. Was very dissapointed that it didnt live up to the hype.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
thebaldwizard (1206) - Ohio, USA - JUN 22, 2006
"An easy beer to rate--everything about it is perfectly average. The Fat Tire pours a nice amber color with a slight head. The aroma is bread like and dull. The taste is definite caramel malt with a slight hit of hops in the end. This is easy to drink, refreshing, and not real interesting. "