overall

RATINGS: 2823   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeffís bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineerís home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tireís appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
kepano (247) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 18, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2006 Pours an orange-apricot marmalade hue with a fluffy beige head inspiring autumnal memories of a sepia toned photograph. The distinctive nose appears squarely at first, but its complexities are revealed after several examinations. I noticed a sweet blend of candied apples, caramel and bubble gum. Familiar odors of dust and burnt rubber appear after great scrutiny. The mouthfeel holds an easy quality to it, a welcomed simplicity that exposes the honesty of this brew. Malts are emphasized in the flavor, pleasantly mingling roasted caramel, hazelnut and burnt toast. This beer does not try to impress you with subtleties but retains intricacies if you look for them. A great "everyday" type beer that can be enjoyed several times over without lassitude. The finish is sticky and wet with a slight citrus-like acidity that provides a warm and satisfying bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GarrettB (1181) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 18, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2007 Fat Tire was the brew responsible for inducting me into an esoteric group of beer savants. I was never one to hit a college party drinking Keystone or some other cheap poison. I had too much owed to my brain for that degree of treachery. Good thing too, because the few Coors and Bud beers Iíve had led me to believe the American public was patronizing a set of beer tyrants while settling for mediocrity. Since the day I first tasted it, Fat Tire renewed my faith in my college peers, who were hopelessly flexed over garbage cans and sofa arms to hear my entreaties for forgiveness. Indeed, the scattered bottles across the lawn and parking lots are a testament to the refined tastes of our local drunkards. So, in a way, I owe a lot to Fat Tire, which is why my score may seem unusually high. But it was there on my 21st birthday to give me a hug, or two, or five. Thank you Fat Tire, I love you too. Now, onto the beer. It pours a very nice, rustic copper color of a hazy orange shade that resembles the stuff of old. Family heirlooms tend to be this golden, copper hue. Maybe I didnít pour it correctly, but there was little or no head. I like to get that foamy sensation, so I was a little bit let down by the straight forward "drink me" attitude of the beer. A cursory whiff is too complex to pick apart, but a second try yields the mysteries of the gaseous prelude. There is definitely a "toasty" element, but I detected some fruit flavors as well. A subtle apple flavor nudged at me but kept fairly quiet. The taste is far superior to the smell and the palate is by far the best of all the beers Iíve had so far (a very limited boast). Even though the flavor is a fairly straight forward cacophony of hops and toasted breads (again, slight traces of fruit) the beer is very thick and satisfying. You feel "whole" after drinking Fat Tire, but energetic enough to climb the nearest 14,000 foot peak and recommend it to the first mountain guru, praising it as a satisfying shortcut to personal completion and ultimately, nirvana. This isnít to say the beer is transcendental, but it fills those cavities usually occupied by depression, job woes or stress. What a great thinking beer. Cheap too, which is perfect for your average beer amateur. Namely, me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
marcus (7301) - Sacramento, California, USA - SEP 16, 2005
This amber ale poured with a very small head. There was a medium-bodied flavor that was quite malty and somewhat hoppy. It was worth drinking, but not outstanding.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Zamboni42 (10) - USA - OCT 10, 2005
Astringent mouthfeel, but mild bitterness. Bready flavors with a tiny amount of tartness. No head, but thatís okay. Endlessly drinkable and very dependable. Not the most complex beer, but enjoyable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
mrnutsnbolts (204) - Berkeley, - OCT 7, 2005
Bottle. Pours an amber color with a thin white head. Smells sour, slightly corny, and sickly sweet. Tastes malty and slightly sweet. A little bit bitter on the finish. Lots of carbonation with a light body. Not bad, not good.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcwattsrugger (11359) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - SEP 29, 2005
12 oz bottle-pours a medium white head. Color is a clear amber with ample effervescence. Aroma is grain. Taste is malty, good carbonation and some cherry comes through. Good, just not as crisp and clean as I had expected after hearing about this many times 2.9

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
ChristianSA (368) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 28, 2005
Draft. Very clear amber with small white head. Aroma is faint with some underlying yeastiness. Pleasant grainy flavor to start with and some sweetness kicking in later. No aftertaste. Heavy carbonation and watery mouth feel. Refreshing bot boring in the long run.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
fordest (2017) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - SEP 28, 2005
Draft at Dexís In Richland, Wa. I donít know what all this talk about balance is. Maybe it is so named because it is easier to balance on a fat tire than a thin tire.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ramekin (3) - USA - SEP 27, 2005 does not count
This was a transition beer for me, starting to bring me away from common macros. Reviewing as if it were my first time, a challenge. Poured from a bottle, minimal head with quick dissipation and little lacing. Light, very clear amber color, slight grainy aroma, lightly hopped and thin in the mouth. Good flavor and easy to drink, with little complexity or body. Familiar, I would happily drink this any time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
trafford (171) - Germantown, Tennessee, USA - SEP 20, 2005
Nice amber ale with a light hint of orange. A nice caramel aroma with a bitter-sweet taste, full body,and a lively, long finish. Iím unable to get it east of the Mississippi, but I stock pile when I go to KC. This has become my everyday type of beer summer or winter.... My personal favorite