overall

RATINGS: 2830   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrewDad (5117) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JUL 30, 2005
This is a great beer. They are doing something right. The overall flavor was refereshing and I enjoyed the light hint of hops at the end. They have a great hops mix on this beer. I get Cascade hops for sure. I would drink this tap or bottle there is little difference.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
PaulGator22 (9) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - AUG 7, 2005 does not count
A good American Amber Ale, wish it would make it to the east coast. My cousin gave me a bottle once and I’ve also had it on Tap in Washington St. It has a great balance between hoppiness and toasty malts.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Heatwaves (54) - Orange, California, USA - AUG 5, 2005
A very pleasant beer. The aroma is subtle, but rich in honey notes. I couldn’t detect much hoppiness, it’s just incredibly balanced. This would be a great late afternoon beer to enjoy in the sunshine with some friends.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - JUL 5, 2005
Color is an amber-hued bronze with dense, creamy, off-white head. Doughy, bready, fleishman’s yeast nose with some light fruit. Very malt dominating with toasted dark caramel notes and some fruity/estery character in the finish. Some tart character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
waeltzy (53) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 10, 2005
Pretty standard amber ale. Standard amber color with a fair head. Yeasty and fruity nose. Sort of smells like a malty hoppy pastry. Caramel roasty malts. I enjoyed it. Thanks to my friend Tom for hooking me up with one of these bottles.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
fluentsky (10) - Arizona, USA - JUL 7, 2005
12 oz bottle. Faint malt nose with hint of alcohol and fruit. Light amber pour with beige non-lasting head. Yeasty topnote with a slight hint of bitter malt. Fruit gracenotes. Almost cloyingly sweet. Sweet, bready, non-clean finish that lingers. Typical for a Belgian. Worth a taste, but not exceptional.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 4, 2005
a weak malty aroma coming off a clear brown body with a nice white head, flavor was sweet malts with a nice amount of grassy hops. best part of this beer was the balance in the flavor, it was perfect, as the hops took over in a very subtle manner from the malts leaving a nice sweet hop tail as the residual taste. if this was something i could get locally, it could easily become an everyday brew for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - AUG 6, 2005
I thought this beer would be hoppier than it was, but I still enjoyed it, Malty, but enough bite to it too, pretty good, quite refreshing. I had this on tap at Hollingshead deli, Orange, Ca.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mnurda (1184) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 29, 2005
After dragging a box of beer through the Denver Airport this beer was a welcome relief. Paired with a Wolfgang Puck Chinois Salad, this beer went down too quickly. In fact I drank it so fast I cant even rate it. I will have to try it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wirko (10) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JUL 12, 2005
I got a sample of 3 of these bottles from a friend and finished them fairly quickly and am looking for more. I really enjoy the smooth, easy drinkability of this beer.