overall

RATINGS: 2699   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeffís bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineerís home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tireís appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
hopdog (8867) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2004
I only bought this one based on the name (and they make a decent Tripel). Poured an amber color with a small head. Not much to this beer - average is as average does (nothing to write home about). Iíll on this one...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kevin (2071) - New Mexico, USA - JUL 18, 2004
bottle. pours a dark golden with a thin head. not much aroma a little malty. taste is a nice nutty malt slight bitter finish. a little too sweet overall.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jefcon (1382) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUL 17, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2004 The standard from New Belgium. A little head and a golden-umber color. Solid aromas of biscuit and malt. Drinkable and smooth, but with the very real hops of a good ale. Complex enough to linger on the palate, but not fruity, astringent, or acidic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Foxbush (1264) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 13, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2009 Excellent color and head formation, Strong hops flavor. This was a very good ale. Fat tire was enjoyed while at a wedding in Colorado. I enjoyed on tap and in bottle. This was on tap at the Hyatt in Indian Wells, California. It is an excellent bar ale. It is well balnced ale with flavor and body.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
hayduke (3347) - Eureka, California, USA - JUL 10, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2006 On tap (pint glass). By the time it got to my table the head (if there ever was one) was gone. Color was amber, but not a very nice shade. The first thing that hit me was the sweetness. Felt good in the mouth, and I worked my way through the first half of the glass trying decipher the odors. It almost smelled like an oatmeal cookie. But I think the telling thing is that I really did not have any real interest in drinking the second half of the glass. This one just comes up wanting in my opinion. Note 112/23/0 Rerate.. This is served in a number of places around here so thought Iwould give it another try. Glass (on tap) came thiis time with a head. Also maybe the light was better because this time the color was more attractive. Nose was decent ,bu flavor wast still preety bland and odd, but then it IS an Amber so what can you do with that. Rating updated to improve aroma and appearance. But downgraded on flavor. This beer is poplar but I personallly think this is more to do with marketing and the cute name, than being a quality brew. New Belgium does made some good brews....this just not happen to be one of them.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 9, 2004
(Best by 27/Jul/04) This beer is light in every beer taste category. Although, I do like the beers crisp clean mouth feel. This is a bona fide cult beer that, I would drink on occasion if it was available in Maryland. I feel this beer is the step before Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
cstuartj (965) - Washington, USA - JUL 8, 2004
Rate Beer says 50th percentile, I canít agree more, this defines middle of the road. I have so many friends that just rave about this beer but they are the MGD/Bud/Coors type. To them this is a complex/flavorfull brew that is taken to a new level. Perhaps what it really is, is a bridge from shit beers to real beers. LOL. To me itís a weak, unchallanging, uninterest but non offensive beer that I drink w/ my golf buddies cause nothing better is on had and I wonít touch MGD.

IndianaRed (2391) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUL 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2004 On Tap Arrived with a nice head that stayed for a few minutes. The lacing was very robust, nearly coating the glas as I drank it down the frst few inches. A medium unfiltered amber and the smell was faint and pleasant, sweet, malty and yeasty. Yes it was sweet, creamy, smooth and soft. Very tasty. I had this in a bottle before and this time was much better. Palate was thick, creamy, smooth and a bit heavy. Was pleasently surprised due to previous experience.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 5, 2004
Man was this sweet.I mean it stuck to my mouth like peanut butter. I didnít really like it that much because of this. Pours a nice dark brown with a steaming foaming head that quickly dies off. Nose is incredibly sacharine like. Notes of sugar cookies, teryaki sauce and sesame seeds. Perhaps even a little bit of sweet rye. Not a very good combo I think far too sweet. Could drink this instead of port. Feels great in the mouth. Nice and thick, slightly chunky even. Same tastes with the addition of brown shugga. I donít like this brew it is far too sweet grat

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hab40oz (242) - Grants Pass, Oregon, USA - JUL 3, 2004
pours a classic redish amber color, fairly thin off white head and moderately thick lacing, light malty nose, roasted malty taste and good hoppy bitterness from start to finish. Very drinkable, very refreshing, unique for a amber in this region. Good starting beer for a future conosuer.