overall

RATINGS: 2844   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
straykat (4) - USA - AUG 12, 2005 does not count
I like this beeer for its robust character and malty flavor. Has kind floral aroma and a little bit of a sweet finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
desurfer (1246) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2005
Nice draft quaffer. Moderate maltiness, good hops kick. Nice start to my midwest road trip.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jasonp (1556) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - AUG 11, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2007 Clear amber with an off-white head. Some floral hops and freshly-baked bread in the nose. Flavor has notes of toasted malt, a little bread, caramel and a very pleasant hop character in the finish. Moderately sweet, some hop bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, smooth texture and moderate carbonation. Overall, very nice drinkable beer.

jeafox (1) - USA - AUG 11, 2005 does not count
was hesitant to try it, because i dont like belgium beers, but glad i did... it is now my favorite beer in the world, i can see why its popping up everywhere here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
PaulGator22 (9) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - AUG 7, 2005 does not count
A good American Amber Ale, wish it would make it to the east coast. My cousin gave me a bottle once and I’ve also had it on Tap in Washington St. It has a great balance between hoppiness and toasty malts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - AUG 6, 2005
I thought this beer would be hoppier than it was, but I still enjoyed it, Malty, but enough bite to it too, pretty good, quite refreshing. I had this on tap at Hollingshead deli, Orange, Ca.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Heatwaves (54) - Orange, California, USA - AUG 5, 2005
A very pleasant beer. The aroma is subtle, but rich in honey notes. I couldn’t detect much hoppiness, it’s just incredibly balanced. This would be a great late afternoon beer to enjoy in the sunshine with some friends.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BrewDad (5117) - Olympia, Washington, USA - JUL 30, 2005
This is a great beer. They are doing something right. The overall flavor was refereshing and I enjoyed the light hint of hops at the end. They have a great hops mix on this beer. I get Cascade hops for sure. I would drink this tap or bottle there is little difference.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mnurda (1190) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - JUL 29, 2005
After dragging a box of beer through the Denver Airport this beer was a welcome relief. Paired with a Wolfgang Puck Chinois Salad, this beer went down too quickly. In fact I drank it so fast I cant even rate it. I will have to try it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wirko (10) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JUL 12, 2005
I got a sample of 3 of these bottles from a friend and finished them fairly quickly and am looking for more. I really enjoy the smooth, easy drinkability of this beer.