overall

RATINGS: 2843   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeffís bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineerís home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tireís appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
sloth (2625) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - APR 24, 2005
A small tan head arises from a fairly hard pour, retention is short lived leaving behind a thin laceing. Clear light amber color. Nose is lightly malty, bready. Light bodied, sorta watery. Light dry bready flavors with a hint of caramel malt and light buttery undertones. Finish is fairly dry. Easy drinkin and seriously inoffensive. Thanks for the trade Kevin!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
amnoisis (4) - Laramie, Wyoming, USA - APR 22, 2005 does not count
Overall a very middle of the road amber. Not to bitter or clean. The more I drink it though the better I like it. However, does not stay good for too long and is a lot worse when it is old. Very balanced with a aftertones of yeast and bread.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
IowaBeerGod (1) - USA - APR 22, 2005 does not count
By far my favorite amber ale! This is my "every day" beer that I have every night right after I get home from work. Very drinkable, but full of flavor. This beer also is great "step up" for those lite beer drinkers who wish to venture to the more flavorable side. Fat Tire is readily avaliable around the mid-west/and west regions, but not yet available in Iowa. But stay tuned, it is coming! And if you wish to try it, drop me a line. I have an "imported keg" on tap in the garage. Cheers

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
balke13 (156) - MIssoula, Montana, USA - APR 13, 2005
Transparent brownish orange color with a thin white head and active carbonation. Toffee and carmel aroma with a hint of sweet malt. Nice balanced body with carmel and malt followed by a nice subtle hop finish....very drinkable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
brg898s (8) - Springfield, Missouri, USA - APR 12, 2005 does not count
I love this beer for any occasion. I have been anround those who pollute it with lemons, which I would never recomend. Fat tire is delicious.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - APR 7, 2005
Pours an amber orange color with little to no head. Aroma is definitely malty. Tastes malty and a little earthy maybe. Had this out of the bottle and tasted a little watered down. An O.K. amber ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - APR 7, 2005
Pours an attractive amber hue with a decent head. Lacing rings will be visible around the glass. It looks good. This brew has a toasted malt and bisuity flavor to it (just like the bottle says), but the problem is that itís just not very complex. There just isnít enough "oompf" to it I guess. It easy to quaff though. There isnít too much of a hop character, itís mostly malt. If they could pull out the flavors a bit more then this brew could be worthy. Other then that, I only pick it up when itís the only thing available.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
neocon (34) - Gold Canyon, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2005
I may have to re-rate this one-"alergies". However this has a orange body with small white head and light lacing. small amout of hoppy taste. I donít consider it a great beer yet I keep reaching for it. Somethings got me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 23, 2005
This is really bland. Iím very disappointed. Not much of anything to say about it except...bland. An average rating of 3.11 is too high in my opinion.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - MAR 20, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 9, 2009 Just had my first bottle. Canít understand the acclaim. Itís not really out of balanced, itís not really hoppy, itís not really malty, itís not really anything. Maybe a trip to Fort Collins and a pint of the draft could change my mind. But, for me, not worth the hype or the price. Revisited on 7-30, I still think this beer is overrated and I certainly understand that beers with a wide appeal donít always impress me. Still a refreshing quaffer and in my definition and English amber with Belgian hop profile. Give this to your Bud drinkers to convert them. Re-rate, 6-5-09 22 oz new release @ Griffon in Charleston. Pour into brewery glass.Old penny hue with an ecru foam that dissipates ti cordon ring. Biscuity nose of semi sweet malts and a metallic resonance that ends up dominating Bubbly plate entry. The malt starts fresh and then takes a turn towards flat mediocrity. Surprisingly light hoppy spice at the end makes the finish clean and the palate beg for more. Overall not bad, although a strange grain in the middle gives the beer a macro appeal. Inexpensive and still a great conversion beer. Pairs well with Thousand Island dressing and strippers with C-section scars.