RATINGS: 3007   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08/5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeffís bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineerís home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tireís appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
verge (32) - USA - MAR 7, 2006
This is a really cine amber ale. Its not sold everywhere, and not where I am, but when I get the chance Ill buy a couple cases. I really enjoy the biicuity flavor folowed by a sligt hoppy bitterness. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
withgrace (1) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - MAR 7, 2006 does not count
This beer is fantastic! I discovered it on a business trip, October 2005. Sadly, they do not have it in Kentucky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
dwedin (249) - Happy Valley, Oregon, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Roasted malts and coffee aroma. White head. Burnt biscuit flavor. Mild hop bitterness. Lot of hype but good drinkable beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
drainey (234) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
On tap at Tucson Electric Park. Yeah, there was alot of (over)hype in Chicago surrounding this one. Iíve had it alot in Denver and remembered it as nothing special, but when I tried it again this weekend it was better than I remembered. Pretty reddish brown body with a decent white head. Aroma and flavor spoke of caramel, but not too much. A decent, drinkable amber but not worth the hype.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
locarboy (129) - USA - MAR 6, 2006
There was a lot of hype in Chicago for this one. Even the label announced this beers arrival east of the Mississippi...hmmm...kinda like the hype for Coors so many years ago. I bit anyway. I was expecting so much more. My first disappointment was that it was not bottle conditioned. Now I know what they mean by NEW Belgian Brewing. Yah, I believe this is based on a home brew recipe. I could only imagine Jeff and Kimís reaction upon first tasting. "Hey! We made a Leinieís Red clone!" As for the label discription read "toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors..." as "grainy." If you like Leinieís Red and want to spend a lot more money not looking like a cheese head, then this is your beer. Acceptable as an amber ale, but why waste the money when you can get Leinieís for $10 a 12 pack.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
Clear, amber body with a moderate head of medium sized bubbles. Toasted, sweet malt--delicate and smooth--hits the nose with a subtle, earthy hop element laying just beneath the surface. Sweet caramel, dry biscuits, toasted bread and light nuttiness. The hop character is soft and subtle with a bit of earthy, light pine element. The body is light and smooth with delicate carbonation. The balance of malt and hop character is very nice. Well, in many years of beer hunting, Iíve never really sought out this beer, nor ever really had it before. It finally made itís way to Chicago and I thought Iíd have some when I know itís fresh. While I donít see the hype that some have placed on this beer, but I wonít fight the hype. Itís not my favorite beer, but if the random corner bar has this on tap, Iíd rather have this than anything else. A fresh sample is rather tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 13/20
TexasAggie12 (64) - Burnet, Texas, USA - MAR 5, 2006
Sweet malty aroma. Taste is sweet with malt, hint of toffee and hops. I would like just a touch more hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
kcmole (28) - USA - MAR 5, 2006
Sweet caramel and coffee nose, light mouthfeel for an ale, smooth slightly bitter finish...but not too bitter. Really enjoyable ale that I could drink all night long. Very affordable for the quality in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 1/20
dailybrews (6) - st louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 1, 2006 does not count
Fairly average as far as amber beers go. I know they advertise the biscuity flavor as a good thing, but this may just be a case of too much of a good thing. Or perhaps I have just overdone it. the roasty malts and low hop character contribute to the widespread popularity of this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
beerdrinker101 (56) - USA - FEB 28, 2006
Very easy to drink beer. Very carbonated beer. Your average everyday beer.