overall

RATINGS: 2851   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
frankR (145) - Davis, California, USA - JAN 2, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2004 Dry, watery. Earthy malts, some pale hops. Rather unimpressive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 30, 2003
An average beer, with a bitter aftertaste. Decent beer for the masses, but I was unimpressed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dwyerpg (4869) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 27, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2005 Something about this beer’s smell is almost nauseating to me. The taste to this beer is equally disgusting. I am totally surprised by how much i detest this beer. Re-rate: I have several of these since then, and I am now convinced that my original beer must have been skunk (1,4,1,1,3) which explained the 1 overall ranking. I still don’t love it though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Kalli (502) - Falun, SWEDEN - DEC 21, 2003
Looks a bit like brandy with a hint of foam. Quite lovely considering the lack of head. Aroma has some mild cinnamon and a hint of candy sugar. Pleasant, easy drinker and none the worse for it. Very balanced.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Eirikur (376) - hafnarfjordur, ICELAND - DEC 21, 2003
Very nice and very drinkable Amber Ale, The beer has this American malt taste. And I might ask again where is my keg ?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haukur (1430) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - DEC 21, 2003
no head it´s it only downfall. Easy drinking brew, reminded me a bit of belgian "rousse" beers.. where´s my keg!?!?!?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Egads. I truly don't understand how this beer has such a high rating here. It's not terrible, but it completely lacks character. Average at best. Looks and smells like a typical amber. The taste, while not bad, is not good at all compared to virtually any other "craft" beer of this style. So, hops and malt but nothing interesting at all. Drinkability gets decent marks because it'd be easy to have several without realizing you've been drinking beer. No wonder it's so popular.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
EricTheRed (82) - Plainfield, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Ack. should have been better by NB standards. tinny, fizzy, underhopped, nicely malty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - DEC 12, 2003
Draft. Light bodied, light malt flavor that is somewhat interesting, but there is nothing really there to provide balance. Drinkable, but I did not order a second one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jzzbassman (1523) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - DEC 4, 2003
While this one gets slammed often as not being worthy of the company, it was my gateway to NB and still the one I give to novices to try. Their description of crisp hoppiness hits the mark, although the finish may be too dry. This is easily my favorite amber.