overall

RATINGS: 2748   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
edden (926) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - FEB 24, 2003
2/22/03: bottle. (dallas, tx) nice golden- scotch colour with a full white head. lots of lacing. very smooth with a light hop/ yeast finish. dig the label.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pwyman (71) - Hubert, North Carolina, USA - FEB 20, 2003
Was quite pleased with the light malt flavor. Recommended to me by a friend so I bought us both the second round.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Oakes (12789) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 16, 2003
Copper-coloured everyday Belgian style ale, somewhat soft in its maltiness and lightly yeasty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Incarpathia (21) - Edmonds, Washington, USA - FEB 14, 2003
A decent "mainstream" beer from the New Belgium folks. I tried this beer about 4 years ago on recommendation from a friend. Very drinkable but that's about it. A "go to" beer when selection is minimal at the local beer store.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Bolt (117) - Boulder Creek, California, USA - FEB 11, 2003
Not much character. So balanced that I hardly taste any hops or malts… over all fresh tasting with good carbonation. A nice Clean-Bland-taste. Left me a bit confused. Must go to George’s log cabin to try again! I was only the second person to try the new stuff in the pub. Also An impressive neon beer sign!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
lapsap (12) - Columbia, Missouri, USA - FEB 7, 2003
A beer that my old friend recommend me.Once I sipped it,immediately I fell in love with it.Not too strong alcohol and the wonderful aroma makes it enjoyable to drink.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
fuchebu (146) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 31, 2003
This is a good session beer but doesn't live up to expectations. Many act like it's the holy grail of beers. It's not! It's a juicy, fruity beer that's great on a warm day. It's toasty and well balanced but not a world classic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
schm1005 (151) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 29, 2003
Ah Fat Tire. This beer has proved to be a staple selection in my beer quiver the past few years. I've bought it from a hippy at a Phish Show in Troy, Wisconsin and I've bought it from a vet mumbling about the big brother out on the Mt. Baker HWY. My, how far this beer has traveled. Nice light amber color and a small ring of carbonation. The aroma is a mix of sweet malt and yeast and the flavor follows this pattern. I do taste the toastiness in the beer and it gives it a refreshing quality and a little more complexity. The carbonation is mild and it has a medium body though it could be a little thicker for an amber. Not disappointing though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JAN 21, 2003
Had on tap at the brewery in Ft. Collins. Not really all that much different than in the bottle, except it is much fresher. Furthermore, you get to try it as a sampler platter next to all of NB's other beers, which, as most semi-experienced and experienced beer drinkers alike already know, demonstrates that Fat Tire is NB's beer for the masses and their other brews are much better. I'm sure that would come as a slap in the face to all the hoi polloi college beer drinkers in Boulder who describe Fat Tire as "the greatest beer ever". Sorry, had to get that out, I've come into contact with way too many people who think that Fat Tire is some kind of God of beers. To each his/her own.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JAN 21, 2003
I really like this beer alot, a plesant malty aroma, and just hoppy enough to have a bit of a bite. Not much of a head, and kind of a bland finish, but I really like this one overall.