overall

RATINGS: 2811   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAY 28, 2003
Subtle and smooth toasty malty flavor. Some hops balance this brew. Mild, decent. All of my hippie friends in Colorado drink this stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 26, 2003
A pretty decent amber ale. Nice flavor, nice color, fairly better than average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 26, 2003
Pours clear orange, toasted malt aroma, robust mouthfeel. I enjoyed this more than most amber ales, as the bready taste was interesting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ericnixon (741) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 26, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2014 First rating 5/26/2003: i liked the label. it was really cool. i had high expectations for this beer... but it kinda let me down. it has a sorta chocolate aroma. there really isn’t much taste that i can speak of. just a slightly malty flavor. it just tastes wet with a hint of malt. Re-rate 12/3/2014: I manage a hotel where we have an evening reception and give free beer and wine. We have two types of beer: Miller Lite and Fat Tire. Since I was working, I never tried the Fat Tire, and honestly, I thought I had not tried this beer before. Our guests really seem to like it, but I know my tastes normally lie with something more complex and interesting, so I went out and bought a bottle of it so I could talk a little more intelligently about this beer with my guests. Poured from a large bottle into my Brewery Ommegang tulip glass. The color is pale, clear copper with a thin, dissipating head. The aroma is somewhat citrusy with some grassy stuff in there too. Almost as if I was hanging out in a lemon tree, fell out (oh noes!) and landed on fresh-cut grass and rolled around for a bit. The taste is big with grassy floral citrus with a lingering echo of roasty toasty nutty bread. The palate is wet. Sharp fizzy wet. Overall: meh... . At first this evening I was like, "Ugh, this is not all that great." As it warmed up, I was able to discern more flavors in it, which was nice, but I’m not liking the lemon burps the Fat Tire is sending up. Would I go out and buy this again? With all of the great beers out there I’ve never tried? No way. This one is too average, too uninteresting to want to reach for again. When the guests at my hotel have to reach for a beer, the Miller or this, which one will I steer them to? This one, of course, but it won’t stop me from trying to find a nicer micro to replace that tap with.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - MAY 18, 2003
(19May2003--draft) Kinda pissy looking, but a beautiful head: persistent and delicately lacy. Hint of chocolate malt is a nice addition to a decent, but not outstanding, amber ale. An odd corn flavor comes in near the end...what is that junk?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
weisinator (67) - USA - MAY 16, 2003
light malt and hops flavor in a good balance. Not so light that it offends my tastebuds, though light enough that my swill-drinking wife likes it. :D

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
pcprof (6) - USA - MAY 8, 2003 does not count
One of my favorites. Easily obtained in an area dominated by Busch. Best on a hot day after cutting the grass. Not a greate beer, but quite drinkable.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 2, 2003
This brew has a sticky sweet feeling with a weird aftertaste. Seems like it'd be good for the average person (like malternatives are), but not good for a beer drinker. I'll have to try this one a few more times to make up my mind...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
ElGaucho (2282) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 27, 2003
Slightly malty aroma; quite sublte. No head to speak of; clear amber body. Flavor is rather innocuous. No hops, yet not really very malty. Blah and average.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 8, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2003 (bottle) Huh. One of those weird things. I had this several times, thinking it was a really good beer. I rated it 4.1 on 4/8/03. But I just had another one and it was well... pretty boring. Not much flavor, not much of anything. Makes me wonder what i tasted last time. :)