overall

RATINGS: 2852   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
3fourths (8602) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2004 Up my numbers from my bottle review. It was slightly better on tap. RE-RATE: Must agree with AustinMillbarge's comments about the Boulder/Denver folk who think this is the best thing ever. I appreciate their enthusiasm in something other than USA-macro, but I think there's an entire world of beer that is unknown to them. This one has a decent amber color, with a nose and flavor that is tasty, fully of malts with some light hops... the flagship NB brew... I guess it's cool.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
vector (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 9, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2003 Overrated because it is the only thing decent served on tap at so many restraunt bars in the midwest. I tried this at a restraunt and then immediately went back to shiner bock.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Crit (3561) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 6, 2003
Amber, fast fading head. Lightly hoppy nutty nose.Light malt flavor. Flat and underflavored

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JAN 6, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 23, 2003 Milt hops but super bitter. A popular favorite in my region, but not my favorite. There are much better amber ale's around. I'm just glad I have this as an alternative to budweiser and coors products at all the bars with only 1-5 beers on tap.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jamrun (137) - Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA - JAN 4, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2005 nice thick maltiness very little favor besides malt good beer just not great

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrGregAD199 (65) - Medford, Oregon, USA - JAN 3, 2003

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dukefan (214) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 3, 2003
I am not overwhelmed by this "cult" ale, but it is very, very good. An amber classic that has a wonderful quenchability.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tigre38699 (20) - austin, Texas, USA - JAN 1, 2003
pretty good

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - JAN 1, 2003
As far as Ambers go this is above average. Nice Amber color with an off-white head. Nice caramel aroma. Malty sweet start with a smooth finish. Not much bitterness just enough to cut the sweetness slightly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dev (50) - Savannah, Missouri, USA - DEC 29, 2002
Very smooth. I think I’ll have another. I bought this at K Mart,so I really was not expecting much, but it turned out to be very good indeed.Golden color,good carbonation that stays through to the bottom of the glass,nice head that also stays,semi sweet flavor. Now I want to try the abbey ale.