overall

RATINGS: 2721   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fukdis (10) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 24, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2003 Fairly light but good for a mass market beer. The bottle and draft flavor differs significantly.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - JAN 17, 2002
Had this mostly on tap, and wasnt impressed at all, but i just had it in a bottle and liked it marginally more.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - JAN 16, 2002
Too light-bodied for an amber ale. If they would just rename it ’pale ale’ it would be acceptable. Nice toasted malt flavor. Not enough aroma. I drank this from draft.

666seth (222) - California, USA - JAN 16, 2002
Good amber ale, nice malt flavor mixed with a floral touch.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
unixweb (237) - Sherman, Texas, USA - JAN 15, 2002
I tried this one because of the cool sign on the wall. It looks good, nice and clear amber-colored. Initial smell is weakly floral, and the flavor is a little sweet with definite bitter notes which dominate the longer it stays in the mouth. Overall, I like it, but it needs something. I just don’t know what. Maybe a little more alcohol, maybe something in the flavor other than toasted malt? I don’t know. I will drink it, but it isn’t one of my favorites, draft or otherwise.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - JAN 4, 2002
NICKNAMED ’FLAT TIRE’ DUE TO THE LACK OF ALCOHOL CONTENT. YOU CAN DRINK 10 OF THESE ,AND STILL WANT MORE! OTHERWISE, NOT BAD...HEAD LOOKS NICE, AND COLORING IS A NICE AMBER...SOMEWHAT MALTY.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
texasanarchist99 (15) - Huntsville, Texas, USA - JAN 4, 2002
I’ve heard this is excellent on draft . . . will have to see.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FunkDaMan (38) - New Mexico, USA - DEC 26, 2001
I have to give some credit to this beer, it was the first microbrewed beer I ever had, moving me away from the yellow fizzy stuff; Not my favorite, but I can drink it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
ccwinnies99 (10) - ardmore, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 16, 2001
I liked it. Smooth tasting and refreshing. I’ll buy more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - DEC 14, 2001
Not a lot of aroma to this beer. You can definitely taste the biscuit malt. This would be a great beer to sit in the front porch with and watch the world go by. A good session beer.