overall

RATINGS: 2800   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Named in honor of our founder Jeff’s bike trip through Belgium, Fat Tire Amber Ale marks a turning point in the young electrical engineer’s home brewing. Belgian beers use a far broader palette of ingredients (fruits, spices, esoteric yeast strains) than German or English styles. Jeff found the Belgian approach freeing. Upon his return, Jeff created Fat Tire and Abbey Belgian Ale, (assuming Abbey would be his big gun). He and his wife, Kim traveled around sampling their homebrews to the public. Fat Tire’s appeal quickly became evident. People liked everything about it. Except the name. Fat Tire won fans is in its sense of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

Hiero's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hiero (129) - Dallas, Texas, USA - NOV 22, 2012
This was the first beer I tried after drinking Budweiser, High Life and Coors for several years. It blew me away and I loved it. After 10 more years of beer drinking experience and not having tried it in several years, I was not as impressed as I was 10 years ago. It’s a good beer, but nothing complex. The taste is a good one-toned flavor that goes down smoothly if you want to down a few.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BierMeHoos (262) - Maryland, USA - APR 17, 2015
Draft at lunch, pours a clear not quite amber color some lacing. Aroma is of bread and some hops. Taste is bready and some hop bitterness, very tasty. Palate is good and very drinkable. Overall made lunch much better.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
johnnymusky (452) - Minnesota, USA - APR 17, 2015
very average amber...nose is non-existant...mouth is actually not bad..easy summer sipper...not one i would seek out but i also not one i would turn down...(#451)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Jabah (138) - Winter Park, Florida, USA - APR 10, 2015
I first tried this beer in 2001 while vacationing in Colorado. Then again a few years ago in Vegas, but haven’t had it lately as I haven’t seen it in Florida. It had a medium brown/amber color. Semi-sweet flavor....caramel, nutty, with some other mild spices. Would like to see it locally so I can buy a single or so, in order to get an updated opinion and review in................................................ ON 8/2/13: Just started distributing in FL. Had to revisit this as it was one of the first craft beers that I tried. Not as good as I remembered, but everything new seemed better back then. Still a decent amber, but had to downgrade a few points.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beer_rookie (56) - Arkansas, USA - APR 9, 2015
Pours a clear not quite amber color. Nice eggshell colored head. Some lacing, not a lot.

Aroma is of bread and some hops. It smells pretty good. I’m not getting a lot more.

Taste likewise is bready and some hop bitterness. It is pretty tasty. Not real heavy. Meh.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. It’s highly drinkable. It’s clean.

Overall, nothing special. It’s certainly not what I expected it to be. I’m a little disappointed, I don’t think I’ll be trying this again. It’s an average beer,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Michaelrb (3) - Cornelius, North Carolina, USA - APR 9, 2015 does not count
Now that it’s more widely distributed, we tend to forget this was a big name in early craft beer. However, still one of the top 100 craft beers to try in your life time. Nice dark amber color, the aroma is of toast, has a light sweet taste with an hint of chocolate after taste I was not expecting. Nice beer to offer to friends who prefer a less bitter offering.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
BMA (234) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - APR 4, 2015
Cloudy amber color. Big head. Aroma of bread. Taste of malt and hops. Body is a little thin.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MadIndian (2526) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 4, 2015
Bottle from SJ. Caramel malt, bread, hop and sugar. Finish was a bitter bite. Not bad, but body was watery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
78samh (194) - Olympia, Washington, USA - APR 2, 2015
12 oz bottle pours clear amber with a nice white head. Aroma is fresh, doughy bread. Taste is also bread like and mildly bitter. A beer I have been enjoying for 15 years now. I don’t drink it as often as I used to, but still one I like a lot. Smooth amber ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
elosop (193) - SWEDEN - APR 2, 2015
Orangebrun lätt dimmig med liten krona. Fräsch doft, lätt maltig och lite söt. Smaken tämligen bred, fruktig och humlig. Eftersmaken ganska lång med toner av torkad frukt och lite beska. God men dyr.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Mjp12 (586) - York, North Yorkshire, ENGLAND - MAR 31, 2015
A rather bland Amber ale, some hop and sweet malt balance, but not one to go back to.