overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1511   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
La Folie, French for "the folly," is a beer steeped in New Belgium brewing tradition. This wood-aged, sour brown spends one to three years in big, oak barrels, known as foeders. And when the beer finally hits the glass, La Folie is sharp and sour, full of green apple, cherry, and plum-skin notes. Pouring a deep mahogany, the mouthfeel will get you puckering while the smooth finish will get you smiling. Not a beer for the timid, La Folie is a sour delight that will turn your tongue on its head. Find out why itís considered one of the best sour beers around.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
IslandHaole (1091) - Yokosuka-Shi, Kanagawa-Ken, JAPAN - AUG 19, 2007
Shared with (and thanks to) mwsf and beerguy101. Mahogany color with a small foamy beige head. Scent of a cup of Balsamic vinegar with a tablespoon of fruit cocktail syrup served in an oak bowl. Very similar to Rodenbach but with a bit more fruit and a touch less of the "barnyard" complexity. Very dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MaxxDaddy (413) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - AUG 12, 2007
Bottle 07-3195 courtesy of my Secret Santa (big thanks!) Poured a light brownish color with some short-lived white head. Before sticking my nose in there, I caught a little fruitiness, perhaps apples. Upon further inspection, I got tons of sourness along with some oakiness. The taste was just wonderful, really tart but not to the point of being too acidic or astringent. Way too easy to drink, as far as Flemish sours go. A subtle fruitiness peeks in behind the big-time tartness. Finish is sour and pretty dry and crisp. As of now, this is the best sour ale Iíve had the pleasure of tasting. Jess agrees. Thanks again Santa!

mreusch (851) - Olathe, Kansas, USA - AUG 10, 2007
Bottle 06-3812, pours a clear amber brown with a lively white head that dissipates to a whispy covering, minimal lacing. Aroma is dominated by sour cherries and apples with some oakiness, with a bit of mustiness coming out as it warms. Woof, the flavor is tart, sour and puckering, and in an oh, so good way. Lots more cherry and apple and a dryness that works well with the ample carbonation. This is my first foray into this style, and wonít be the last...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
johnadam2002 (529) - Hainesport, New Jersey, USA - AUG 9, 2007
Iím really starting to enjoy this type of beer. Pours hazy yellow with creamy off white head. Aroma of citrus, light pine, and sourness. Big sourness flavor with hints of citrus throughout. To sum it up, sweet, sour, and refreshing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footy (345) - scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUL 22, 2007
75cl. thanks hopdog. Side by side comparison with Aardmonnikk-Earthmonk, Rodenbach Grand Cru, and NG Enigma. Clear light cherry red. Musty, slightly tart aroma, More gueze like aroma than Rodenbach or Aardmonnikk Taste musty, tart and not as sweet as the aardmonnikk or the rodenbach. Almost imperceptible difference between the La Folie and the Rodenbach Grand Cru except the La Folie had a little more mustiness and was slightly less sweet. Not quite as good as the Aardmonnikk but close. Iíd drink it any day. Wish I had a Cuvee de Castleton to compare.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 21, 2007
Oak aged barrel on tap at Belmont Stationís Pucker Fest. Nice, chestnut hue with a nose of candy and fruits but more oaky than other tastes Iíve had in the past. Authentic Belgian sour flavor with a sour patch kids finish. Great beer, though my tummy burned a little afterward.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mith242 (1) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - JUL 20, 2007 does not count
Bottle 07-3215. Unfortunately my stateís antiquated laws on alcohol means I donít always get to try some of the better beers. But luckily I was able to get a hold of this. I mainly got it because Iíd never had a barrel aged beer but had always wanted to try one. Then I realized it was a Oud Bruin style. Iíve always been a big fan of lambics, in particular geueze. So I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I can see that the tartness might be a bit much for some. But I really enjoy the tartness. One of my favorite wines is a tart raspy white wine called vihno verde. Very complex in taste, a nice sweetness mixed in with the very strong tartness, with an interesting woody finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 17, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2007 Bottle CS 2532 from my first trade with Kevin. Thanks! Pours a beautiful garnet red with a thin dissipating off beige head. Aroma is quite nice- sourness, apple, cherries, oak. Ultra fine and lively carbonation. Medium bodied with a dry texture. Initial flavor is sweet with notes of cherry, vanilla, and plum. You immediately get whacked with a huge mouth puckering tartness, followed by dry oak. This has just the right amount of sweetness. The oak carries through to an somewhat overly acidic finish, creating a dry and peppery bite that lingers. The beer was very well done, but way too acidic and tart for my personal tastes. I am going to struggle finishing this 750, as this is too much beer for one person to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
muddyfeet (72) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 16, 2007
Poured a garnet red when held up to the light. Large, but soft, foamy head resting on top that quickly dissolved to a spotted film. Nose is very sour and I love sour. I canít quite place what the baseness of the sourness is without a taste but I know I like it. Flavor is a wallop full of sourness. Just a bucket full of sour cherries. I love ripe cherries but never really liked cherry flavored food stuffs but I am really digging this beer. Getting some tannins from wood too. Mouthfeel is full and vinuous. Puckeringly sour. The sourness actually creates a bit of deception and makes this beer feel lighter than it realy is. I would suggest serving it cold and drinking slowly to allow additonal cherry flavors come out as the beer warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bobbrew (8) - Yacolt, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2007 does not count
On tap at the 2006 Portland International Beer Festival. I liked it so much, it was just about the only beer I drank at the festival. I havenít done that since the 1993 Rogue Brewery festival in Newport where the only beer I drank was the first keg of Sierra Nevada Celebration available outside the brewery! I was disappointed that La Folie wasnít at the 2007 PIB.