overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - MAY 25, 2006
UPDATED: APR 6, 2008 Bottle #05-3136 from BeerandBlues2. Rating #400, 5/25/06. Poured into my New Belgium Globe. Big pop upon opening the caged and corked champaign bottle. Pours a murky, rusty tinted brown with a big fizzy off-white head. The head fades quickly to a cover, with some lacing. The aroma is heavenly, luscious sour cherries, chewy caramels, lots of oakey chardonnay, lets not forget about the Brett, some hay and horsey, barnyard funk, cobwebs, some notes of lemons and vinegar round it out nicely. Wow. I had high hopes for this beer, I was not disapointed in the least. Starts off very sharply sour, with lots of tart cherries, some balsamic vinegar, golden raisins, crabapples and vanilla, bone dry though some caramel and toffee do come through. The mouthfeel is sparkling wtih bright carbonation and a very dry and tart finish with lots of oakey tanins that really exagerate the dryness of the beer. The finish very Merlot-like. Thanks Brad! 9/4/9/4/16 4.2

2002 vintage sampled on Aug 10, ’06 Bottle #0098. Cherry, horse, oak cider vinegar with a touch of caramel in the nose. The flavor is cherry, very sour, some oaky vanilla, tofee and plum skin. This was a better bottle than the previous, the harsh tannins where much more subdued. Amazing. 10/4/9/5/20 4.8

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Braudog (5627) - Hampton, Virginia, USA - MAY 17, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2012 Latest note: 5/2/2012, bottle of 2012 version. Still a classic, an amazing exemplar of the style, and probably the best beer NB makes. What a beauty. [[ Had the opportunity to do a vertical tasting of 3 different years of La Folie at Falling Rock Taphouse the night before winning BDOTY 2008. That delivered me forever into the column of sour ale lovers. ]]<<Original comments: Nice sized sample from the bottle at St Louis Microfest, 5/13/06: This is the poster child for sour ales. The other RBerians at the fest got a kick out of my wife’s face just at the aroma ... like vinegar is to wine. This beer delivers a big sweet-and-sourness, but it somehow remains refreshing. Apple tones ... sweet tarts. Possibly an acquired taste, but I like to have had the opportunity to acquire it!>>

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
henrikb (1258) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 13, 2006
Dark golden, red shine, small white head, few laces; nose is a bit closed when just poured but grows with time in glass into something very deep and complex. It is very hard to distinguish but is a lot like a strongly fruited oaked mellow harsh vinegar; very, very, very sour full body, becoming a very much alike finish, extremely sour, very long and harsh, again like a sour vinegar, it almost hurt to drink it, but in a nice way. I think the extreme sourness overpowers and hides an expected (and I guess existing) complexity. Fantastic, very special and almost to sour. And thanks again, again, again, again Jeppe, for “wasting” all your good beers on me :-)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Bugrat (60) - Cph. V, DENMARK - MAY 6, 2006
What a sour! Lovely amber color, nice "sour" aroma, first a fresh tickle on the tongue and then the flavors explodes in your mouth. A great thanx to BierKönig (??), who poured this in my glass...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
after4ever (6108) - Brier, Washington, USA - MAY 6, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2008 Champagne bottle (with BitBucket; club meeting). The sourness of this beer is astonishing--almost overpowers everything else. There was a bit of foot in there, and some fruity ester at first. Fizzy and a bit sweet...combined with the sourness, it’s a bit too far around the bend for me.
Another 750, courtesy of BVC. This is definitely more approachable now after a couple years of tongue training. Rich strawberry tart funk on the nose. Big lactic kick looking there, and it certainly emerges on the mid-palate, near the finish. This is still a very sharp, tart one, but it’s complex, interesting, and drinkable. I definitely missed all that the first time. Cheers to BVC for forcing me to re-assess.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
bitbucket (2159) - Kirkland, Washington, USA - MAY 3, 2006
Champagne bottle. Clear orangish amber with off-white head. Taste is very fruity, citrus, berry-like and sour, I sort needed to sneak up on this one. My palate did warm up to this style after the initial shock. Clean short finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 2, 2006
Amber body with a medium white head. White grapes, pears, oak and light vinegar notes in the aroma. Very acidic, with more grapes, oak and vinegar in the flavor. Great stuff! Big thanks to rudolf for providing this bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bartzilla (532) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 1, 2006
On Tap @ Liar’s Club. This stuff rocks me in many different ways, and I’m tough to rock, let me tell you. It’s like a giant glass of Sweet Tarts except it’s a beer, not candy. This would be a great hangover beer. I kinda like these sour ales.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
tennisjoel (1164) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - APR 30, 2006
Strong vinager sour smell. Very sour taste. My first in this style. Not bad, but it takes a little getting used to. Being that this is the first sour, that is basically what I taste. I guess if sour is your thing you’ll love this...for me, I’m not sure if I’ll acquire this as a favorite. I’ll let the lambic and sour fans revel over this while I indulge in other gems.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2201) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - APR 23, 2006
Bottle. Very sour and sweet aroma. Promising. Cloudy amber body with an off-white head ring. Beautiful color, nice head, no lace. Not a bad beer. I can’t really tell a good flemish sour from a great one. This is nice in small quanitities. Four people shared this bottle and there was still half of it left over. An acquired taste that may not ever be acquired.