Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1536   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
La Folie, French for "the folly," is a beer steeped in New Belgium brewing tradition. This wood-aged, sour brown spends one to three years in big, oak barrels, known as foeders. And when the beer finally hits the glass, La Folie is sharp and sour, full of green apple, cherry, and plum-skin notes. Pouring a deep mahogany, the mouthfeel will get you puckering while the smooth finish will get you smiling. Not a beer for the timid, La Folie is a sour delight that will turn your tongue on its head. Find out why itís considered one of the best sour beers around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 21, 2007
Oak aged barrel on tap at Belmont Stationís Pucker Fest. Nice, chestnut hue with a nose of candy and fruits but more oaky than other tastes Iíve had in the past. Authentic Belgian sour flavor with a sour patch kids finish. Great beer, though my tummy burned a little afterward.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mith242 (1) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - JUL 20, 2007 does not count
Bottle 07-3215. Unfortunately my stateís antiquated laws on alcohol means I donít always get to try some of the better beers. But luckily I was able to get a hold of this. I mainly got it because Iíd never had a barrel aged beer but had always wanted to try one. Then I realized it was a Oud Bruin style. Iíve always been a big fan of lambics, in particular geueze. So I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. I can see that the tartness might be a bit much for some. But I really enjoy the tartness. One of my favorite wines is a tart raspy white wine called vihno verde. Very complex in taste, a nice sweetness mixed in with the very strong tartness, with an interesting woody finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 17, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2007 Bottle CS 2532 from my first trade with Kevin. Thanks! Pours a beautiful garnet red with a thin dissipating off beige head. Aroma is quite nice- sourness, apple, cherries, oak. Ultra fine and lively carbonation. Medium bodied with a dry texture. Initial flavor is sweet with notes of cherry, vanilla, and plum. You immediately get whacked with a huge mouth puckering tartness, followed by dry oak. This has just the right amount of sweetness. The oak carries through to an somewhat overly acidic finish, creating a dry and peppery bite that lingers. The beer was very well done, but way too acidic and tart for my personal tastes. I am going to struggle finishing this 750, as this is too much beer for one person to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
muddyfeet (72) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 16, 2007
Poured a garnet red when held up to the light. Large, but soft, foamy head resting on top that quickly dissolved to a spotted film. Nose is very sour and I love sour. I canít quite place what the baseness of the sourness is without a taste but I know I like it. Flavor is a wallop full of sourness. Just a bucket full of sour cherries. I love ripe cherries but never really liked cherry flavored food stuffs but I am really digging this beer. Getting some tannins from wood too. Mouthfeel is full and vinuous. Puckeringly sour. The sourness actually creates a bit of deception and makes this beer feel lighter than it realy is. I would suggest serving it cold and drinking slowly to allow additonal cherry flavors come out as the beer warms.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bobbrew (8) - Yacolt, Washington, USA - JUL 16, 2007 does not count
On tap at the 2006 Portland International Beer Festival. I liked it so much, it was just about the only beer I drank at the festival. I havenít done that since the 1993 Rogue Brewery festival in Newport where the only beer I drank was the first keg of Sierra Nevada Celebration available outside the brewery! I was disappointed that La Folie wasnít at the 2007 PIB.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - JUL 15, 2007
Draft, Stumblin Munk. Brown ruby, nice off white head. Aroma is sour cherries, oak, caramel. Has a very sweet taste, cherry, alcohol, sour, very oaky. Interesting for beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Ofortuna (322) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 9, 2007
Pretty intense here and while I can appreciate a good Flemish Sour, this was a touch too acidic for me. I prefer to see the acidity as an accent piece to the tapestry of flavours that are usually present in these styles. I did like the barrel-aging component as well as fruit complexity which adds another dimension. Malt flavours and acidity are out of whack, but peering through the layers there was a nice job and alot of thought put into creating a complimentary malt backbone. Good design and attempt, but the final execution was off with the acidity.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 24, 2007
Aroma: fruity, yeasty, oaky; notes of cherries and hay; initially intensely sour, bubble-gum and balsamic vinegar, and orange rind flavors, some Smartyô fruit flavors and tartness; a little too sour, but very good

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
IEBAILI (127) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 23, 2007
Pours brown with bright amber highlights and a small beige head that fades quickly; smells sweet and fruity, apple cider vinegar, worcestire sauce, raisins; tastes dry and quite tart with a little pepper on the finish, some caramel notes, a little varnish smell, very interesting, but to be honest itís a little to sour for me right now, but thatís not the beerís fault, I havenít had many Flemish sours and this was more tart than I expected, still very good aromas and flavors.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RedHaze (371) - Where the hell am I?, Nebraska, USA - JUN 21, 2007
Iíve had a couple bottle of this, and Iíve also enjoyed on tap, but this is the first time Iíve sat down to review it. Pours a mahogany with a two finger off-white head that fades rather quickly to a spotty cap and ring. The subsequent lacing is sticky, leaving behind a nice webbing of foam behind. Smell; sour cherries dominate the aroma upfront, along with vinegar and oak. Thereís a little vanilla and pepper, along with a mild underlying sweetness. This has one of the more complex noses of any beer that Iíve ever had. Taste; the oak comes out a little more forcefully in the flavor, and then settles into the sour cherries with some tart apples. The vanilla doesnít come out right away, but starts to peek though as this warms, as does a little bit of the pepper I noticed in the smell. This actually makes my mouth water from the sourness after a little while. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice crisp carbonation. I actually enjoy beers like this on a warm day, which is good as itís about 90 degrees out side, and this is going down very nicely..