overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1434   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrnkMcDermott (2835) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 18, 2006
Bottle. Very "bright" and yet very sour. A pale brown color with a light thin head. Not much to talk about besides the sourness which reminds me of Bing cherries, Granny Smith apples and Jolly ranchers. Some horsiness to go with it. Yet I coould see sitting up with a good book and drinking this all night long.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 13, 2006
Bottle: Columbus tasting shared by moejuck! Finally get to try this. Orange pour with an off white head. Aroma, sour, oak, some fruits to it, and a nice bit of funk. Flavor, lots of sourness and funk up front, with a bit of apple and lemon. Some oaky sweetness on the finish though. Really interesting, and worth the wait.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
KPMycoskie (15) - USA - SEP 11, 2006
750ml bottle. Tasted the draught at the brewery - even after tasting 3 other strong beers, this one broke through. The heavy acidic aroma was a preamble to the flavor: Pickles, vinegar, cherries. Strange, but delicious. I couldnt get the aroma from my thoughts for hours...its going to be hard to let this one age in the cellar!

OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - SEP 7, 2006
750ml bottle at the Columbus 2.0 tasting shared by Muckjoe! - Thanks! - Pours amber brown with very light tan head and very little lace. Aromas of brett, sour cherries, and barnyard hit your nose immediately but under that is a nice sweet caramel and oak aroma. Flavor is dominated by sour cherry and barnyard flavors too but under that is a nice pleasant oaky note blended with some sweet caramel. This is a very complex brew. Palate is acidic and quite sharp. Amazingly tart and a pretty fine sour..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
holdenn (2083) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2008 750 ml bottle: pours a reddish brown with no head. The aroma rises out of the glass as sour tart, fruity, and barnyard, with lots of sour cherries. Its very tart and medium bodied with. Sour cherries a bit acidic, with a yeasty woody flavor underneath. It finishes fruity sour and acidic. As it warms up the acidity comes to the front more and more so much so that it begins to hurt your throat. But overall this is an amazing beer. 9/3/8/4/18 = 4.2

2/1/08. Sampled the original La Folie against the 10th Anniversary La Folie at "An Evening with Pantanap #3" Thanks to Kan for the 10th anniversary.
Regular La Folie pours a dark red amber with a froth beige head. Nose is yeasty, sour, slight funk with oak and acidity. Tart oak flavors, fruit, and cherries. This was a lot harsher and straight up sour compared with the 10th anniversary. I enjoy the acidity a great deal but I think it is muting the fruits that come out in the 10th. 8/4/9/4/17 = 4.2

10th Anniversary blend. Pours a dark red amber with a frothy beige head. The nose is less tart than the original. The nose is overall subdued but the cherries, and fruit are really nice with a light oakiness. The fruit is so strong in the flavor. Cherries, cherry pits, red and dark fruit with malts blending well. Vinuous, earthy, leathery, light oak and acidity. I like them both in different ways, but I prefer the smoothness of the 10th above the original. Great beers. 8/4/9/4/18 = 4.3

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ThomasE (5176) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 5, 2006
Muddy orange colour with a dense off white head. Tart fruity aroma with dusty and yeasty notes along some marzipan sweetness. Tart fruity flavor with notes of yeast and wood. Acidic finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - AUG 30, 2006
I love this beer. First time I had it, I hated it. Second time I had it, it was a nice change of pace from all the IIPA’s I had been drinking. Now I’m rating it, and it’s amazing. Pour is amber with a red hue, nice off-white head. Aroma is unbearably complex, sour, with woodiness, sweetness, hard to even describe in words. Flavor is amazing. Sour, complex, again, words do no justice. You either love this or hate this. Had one bottle, my dad had one sip, hated it. My grandpa had two sips, hated it. I graciously drank the rest.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
asteele8 (322) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - AUG 28, 2006
Bottle - Hand Bottled # 05-2583. I am very eager to try this especially since everyone seems to be willing to trade for this beer. My first Flemish Sour Ale. New Belgium recommends to let La Folie breathe after uncorking it. Pours a reddish amber color with a thick white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is cherry, wood, vinegar, and malt. Flavor is definitely sour. The first sip made my eyes water, definitely wasn’t expecting that kind of sourness. Predominately a sour cherry taste through and through. The mouthfeel is somewhat tingly like seltzer. This is a beer you definitely can only have so much of and certainly cannot taste any other kind of beer afterwards. Like drinking liquid Sour Patch Kids! A very interesting and complex beer. This beer makes me want to venture into the more obscure styles.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 20, 2006
Bottle 98 from 2002. Aroma of bretty barnyard, sour cherries, wood, caramel malt. Fruity, bright and very nice. Ruby-amber-brown in color with a thin, off-white head. Flavor is acidic and sour upfront wit ha well balanced caramel and brown sugar mid-palate. Sweet and sour, but then the acid kicks in. Wow is this stuff acidic. It hurts my throat! Thanks to tjthresh for the bottle, one of my very first trades over a year ago.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MullMan (1099) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 18, 2006
shared by Glenn at the final heavyweight open house. hazy light copper color. sour/tart aroma, flavor is very tart and a little dry like a fine white vinegar. Dec ’03 bottle. very nice, I will have to re-rate when I open my bottle!