overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1386   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - OCT 2, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 1, 2007 Bottle 04-4058. Poured a hazy deep orange with a small quickly dissolving head. Aroma was very tart with notes of cider vinegar, grape bubble gum, and liquid glue. As this warmed it became fruitier with a touch of warm kethcup. Flavor was tart upfront with a fruity middle and very acidic finish. It actually was burning the back of my throat. Mostly clean short finish. 8/4/7/3/15

10th Anniv: Clear amber color with a reddish tint and medium off-white head. The aroma is very nice. Tart, fruity, cherry, tart apples. The flavor had a sweet cherry start. The flavor was very tart and fruity. Moderate to high acidity. Light to medium body. Refreshing and very tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jeppe (2631) - Ølbutikken, DENMARK - SEP 27, 2005
An unclear copper colored beer with a small off-white head. Very nice tart woody and berry aroma with malt, balsamico and lemon notes and hints of ether and cheese. Extremely fresh and vinous. Flavor is sharp and biding from a fresh sourness with strong woody tones and some nice lambic characters. Notes of balsamico vinegar. Dry, vinous and complex like a mofo. WOW, this beer is nothing but outstanding, for every sip I love it more and more. What can I say? I though noone did Flemish Sours better than the Belgians, but this one proves that others are up there in the same league!!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - SEP 16, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 30, 2009 Bottle ’04, #395. It pours a rather pleasing dark red with a nice lacing. Aroma is sour cherry. Flavor is cherry, wine, cherry, and wine. The more I drink the better it is. Cedar notes and a touch of chardonnay emerge as time goes on. Mouth puckeringly sour and very woodsy. Excellent, EXCELLENT sour. Worth visiting over and over and over and over and...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maxbeer (118) - ITALY - SEP 15, 2005
(bottle, Great US Beer Tasting in Genoa) Complex and fruity aroma, in the mouth it is uncompromisely sour(lactic and acetic). Very good in its way, though it is not my favourite kind of beer,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
pinkzambia (1426) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 5, 2005
Bottle: Thanks Indiana_Red for the share factor on this one. This is a wonderful ale -- a reddish borwn dark copper hazy color with a small off white head. The aromas are wonderful - malt vinegar, red wine (cabernet perhaps) sour cream - strong and distinct. Sniff this long enough and it can clean out the nasal passages! The tastes were equally delightful! Tangy to the max to say the least with sweet flavors resembling a sweet tart. Other affinity was that of a Green Apple Jolly Rancher hard candy! The feel is great and kind of burns the back of the throat a tiny bit mimmicking the feeling after sending liquid down your wind pipe. This was my first Flemish Sour ale and I thought it tasted like an "in between" of a beer and a bottle of wine. Tasty!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IndianaRed (2313) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 5, 2005
Bottle ’04 vintage # 4723. Rating no. 600 Pours a hazy reddish amber with only a trace of head and wispy lacing. Aroma of sour cherries, apples and soft oak barrels. Almost vinegary. Flavors very tart and dry. Sharp sour apples and cherries but not a sweet and fruity as the aroma suggested. Highly carbonated. Very dry finish but as previously noted not much lingering harshness. As it warms up more of the soft mellow wood tones come out. The last few sips wre distinctly more chalky as I must have stirred up some sediment. Lovely

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bu11zeye (11925) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2005
(750ml bottle, courtesy of Kevin) Pours a cloudy reddish-brown body with a moderate beige head. Aroma of cherry, wood, vinegar, and earthiness. Flavor of tart cherry with a dry, woody finish. Excellent! Thanks again Kevin!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
dyetube (1181) - McKinney, Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2005
Kinda new to rating beers so forgive if I wrtie wierd! this beer was heavily sour and had a strong vinegar smell and taste, medium body a little carbonation. As Todd from New Belgium put it: "you either love this beer or hate it!" I stand more towards the latter... I would drink this beer again, but on in a small quantity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2005
Bottle 2004 #1971. So, I have 4 bottles of this beer. 3 in the cellar, and one in the frig "just in case". I decide to pop my "just in case" bottle, drink it, and not rate it. Maybe save the rating for a milestone rating. F**K that. After one sip, I knew that to drink this beer and not rate it is a crime so heinous that I should be strung up! My God, what a wonderful beer! Tawny brown body with a lasting head of off white bubbles. Nose has elements of chocolate, antacids, and wet leaves. The real pleasure of this beer is not the nose-it is the taste. Notes of funky geuze, sourness, tannins, oak, wet old leaves (like the way a forest smells when you walk in it after a rain), acidity, tart black cherry, unsweet dry apples, and must. The finish is slightly sweet in a way that beautifully balances the sourness. Those that know me know that I am not a fan of the New Belgium brewery. I was expecting this beer to be a high 3, but I am more than surprised. Just an excellent beer experience all around. I can’t come close to describing the sublime genius of this beer. My first overall 20 ever. Wow.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigNasty (55) - South Lyon, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2005
Tasted at brewery. A very different beer, to say the least. Many people loved this beer, for me, the flavors (especially the oaky, woody notes, which I found dominant) are something I’d rather have in a wine. In fact, in my tasting notes, I compared it more closely to wine than beer. Something different, obviously very well crafted, just not for me.