overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1407   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Silphium (3167) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - DEC 5, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2007 2004 bottle, #4534. Deep orange-brown body, thick beige head. Tart, sour, fruity aroma, woody, musty, with hints of brie cheese rind. I should mention that I’m drinking this at room temperature. OK...I’m still stuck on the aroma. It’s that good. The flavor hits hard with tart fruits, wood, and cheese rind, and hints of alcohol (despite its low concentration). Incredibly perfumey and fruity. Chewy, tart, sour malts. Red wine, raspberry vinaigrette, etc. As I continue to enjoy each sip, it’s becoming apparent that this is one of the best beers I’ve had the fortune to sample. Almost perfect in every regard. This is absolutely worth the cost (high, from what I hear and read). Trust me...this is a must-try! Many thanks to beeryum for this incredible beer. Continuation...I’m coming to the conclusion that this is the absolute best beer I’ve ever sampled. Phenomenal. Stille Nacht Reserva and Expedition Stout have company.

2006 bottle #3538,courtesy Styles. This one served at 50 degrees. Sweet nose, blackberry and cherry in particular, raspberry vinaigrette, tart but not sour. Musty. The body is an explosion of sour, tart, almost lemony funk, with oak, blackberries, and vinaigrette, with just enough sweetness to keep the tart body from becoming overwhelming. Long, sharp, tannic finish. Fantastic beer. Rating same.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - DEC 4, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2007 Extreme sharp and astrigent sourness. A vinegar bite nails you, very gueze like with no fruits. A little too sour and not much other than that.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gorbalev (2924) - Ontario, CANADA - NOV 30, 2005
On tap, Toronado, San Francisco. Golden dark orange, small tan head. Intense sour aroma, with yeast. Taste is a balanced mix of intense sourness and heft malt. Hint of pepper and hops at the end. Wonderful intense balanced stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - NOV 26, 2005
Thanks to Sprinkle for this in a Rater to Rater trade earlier this year. After a loud pop of the cork,with no spillage, I poured this into a large goblet.It is a honey/caramel color with no foam to speak of. But really,who gives a shit what this brew looks like??? It has a wonderful sour cherry fruit aroma with just enough of the oak to give it yet more complexity. As if it needed it. A year ago I wpuld have hated this brew but now I have a huge respect for it. The sour apple,cherry notes are insane with a strong sour blast on the tonsils.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ughsmash (7135) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 18, 2005
On tap at 3rd Annual FoBAB. Pour was hazy chestnut with a fizzy beige head that settled down pretty quickly. Aroma was sour and complex... cherries, funky yeast (horseblanket & must), oak, and some lighter fruits. Flavor carried through all of the aroma and more... with sour and somewhat acidic cherries and pears upfront (acidic good, not acidic to the point of being painful), funky yeast remniscent of being in the now dilapidated barn on the old farm, more fruits, balsamic vinegar, and some caramel sweetness holding it all together. Finish was dry and complex, with sour cherries, oak, and more of that wonderfuly yeast. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - NOV 8, 2005
Beautiful garnet color with a fizzy soda pop head. Sour cherry, tannic oak, malt and barnyard aroma. Smacks your palate with a wall of sourness and leaves you puckered. Fast flavors of afore mentioned aromas with a hint of nail polish. Maybe the cleanest beer in the world.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GarrettB (1039) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 29, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2007 La Folie is a furtive juice indeed, a deceiving bottle of beer with a most mysterious demeanor, closer blood relations to the Champagne noble family then its beer brethren. One of the best parts about La Folie is purchasing it. The liquor store guy shoots you a quizzical look, assents to your confident gaze and delicately plucks the bottle off the shelf and hands it to you like a nurse handing a new mother her baby. The bottle comes with a “Do Not Disturb” sign strung onto twine for a calming bucolic effect. You can tell that it demands respect: the bottle is covered in a thick dust like a newly uncovered treasure descended antiquity. Opening the bottle feels, by instinct, like sacrilege. Just remember that La Folie is brewed to be imbibed. Its ultimate ambition is to trickle down a grateful esophagus. Don’t deprive it of that. Of the beer I have equally epic thins to say. The color is difficult to describe, something like a shade of sullen emotion, or mayhaps “tempered rage”. I don’t foresee that becoming a Crayon color anytime soon. The foam is light in texture and color, and the smell is salty and vegetable like, with a lot of alcohol to form the base. The taste is far sweeter, like premium champagne, replete with citrus tastes and green apple. La Folie is also very creamy; a churning river of taste but relaxed. The paucity of this beer may thwart some who seek its golden touch, and the price tag will intimidate those who do find it. If you are such an adventurer, do not make the mistake of turning your back to it. Buy it, hold it, embrace it, care for it, love it and drink. You won’t regret it, because life hardly gets any more luxurious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kepano (246) - Los Angeles, California, USA - OCT 28, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2005 I would be lying if I said this brew wasn’t one of the paramounts of my beer tasting experiences so far. It is not the best I’ve had, nor is it revolutionary in its style. However it has been long on my list, building anticipation and it did not disappoint. Since I’ve been in Colorado it has been one of my goals to get a hold of this precious elixir. It was not a cheap acquisition at $20 a bottle, but I can surely say it was worth it. My experience with sour ales is admittedly narrow, with Rodenbach’s Grand Cru as the only representative. Yet their mysterious flair has only furthered my curiosity and appreciation of the genre. The pour was exciting and truly a stressful experience, one only matched by fine wines. The hue is difficult to describe without remaining in the realm of clichés, but I would call it a dark Cognac orange. The liquid was clear yet deep and nearly opaque, a very mesmerizing effect. Like looking into a cedar abyss. A frothy custard-colored head rose above to slowly diminish leaving thick airy lacing. The aroma is sharp as a blade, I was almost afraid my nose would be sliced off if I got too close. Sour apples and cherries, Champagne, generous brown sugar and a slight metallic twang resonate in the nose. The fragrance is simply delectable. As I took my first sip, I noticed the carbonation was not as lively as I had expected - pleasantly so. This Flemish Sour is surprisingly smooth and creamy, a quality I wouldn’t expect to match the intense tartness. Vanilla, oak and light banana notes add to the effusive bouquet. Every sip is a wrapped gift that slowly unveils itself in your mouth. As it moves back in forth on your tongue, you uncover different parts of the flavor. When I finally swallowed, the acerbity left me grinning with pleasure and warm satisfying sensation ran through my veins. The finish seems to last forever and the light sour aftertaste lingers until your next sip. A remarkable brew by New Belgium which I hope to enjoy again some day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - OCT 27, 2005
Thanks to Crosling for this brew. Poured out hazy reddish brownish color. Nose is full of sweet fruits, cherries stand out the most, some apple, very sour on the nose already! First taste and wow its sour. I mean almost too sour, but its so damn good at the same time. Has hints of a caramel apple at times, so tasty. Really enjoyed this brew, and believe I am finally ready to expand more into this sector of the beer world.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - OCT 26, 2005
Blind tasting session, Bottled. Aroma of cherries, sour apples, vinegar, light nutty and a hint of varnish. The sourness is more like a geueze than the lactic sourness in a flemish sour ale. Orange/brown color, little hazy, off-white head, good lace. Very sweet start but this diminishes fast. But the sourness goes the other way and starts off tiny growing to a big wow! Soft bitterness in the background but also vinegar, fruits and a hint of varnish.