overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1408   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jbrus (4992) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - OCT 26, 2005
Blind tasting session, Bottled. Aroma of cherries, sour apples, vinegar, light nutty and a hint of varnish. The sourness is more like a geueze than the lactic sourness in a flemish sour ale. Orange/brown color, little hazy, off-white head, good lace. Very sweet start but this diminishes fast. But the sourness goes the other way and starts off tiny growing to a big wow! Soft bitterness in the background but also vinegar, fruits and a hint of varnish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jzzbassman (1516) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - OCT 22, 2005
One that has been on my list the longest, it did not disappoint. Looked great dark brown with red highlights and a compact head. Sharp aroma of vinegar and barnyard. Flavor is sour cherry and just layered with complex vinuos notes. Perfectly balanced and drying on the end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
marcus (6498) - Sacramento, California, USA - OCT 21, 2005
On tap at Toronado. This dark amber ale poured with a short off-white head, eliciting a sharp acidic aroma. The flavor was carbonated and fruity - sort of a cross between kriek and sour brown ale, and was complex but well-balanced. I enjoyed this one to the very last drop, as I have never had a better sour ale. Thanks to Jamie for getting this one to Toronado.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Silenus (14) - Savannah, Georgia, USA - OCT 19, 2005
I tried this one at the tasting room at the New Belgium brewery while out in Colorado for the Beer Festival. I’ll have to admit right up front that I’m not a big fan of sour ales but I was willing to give it a try. It arrived in the tasting glass a nice rich orange color with a head of fine bubbles. I was warned to save it for last in my tasting so I did. The aroma was very sour (as you’d expect) and the first sip was very sharp. After a few sips my palate settled down and it began to taste almost of lemonaid. There was no strong hops in either the aroma or flavor but they came back in force when I later burped! Talk about a lasting impression! All in all I think this is a good solid example of the style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bb (6858) - Alamo, California, USA - OCT 17, 2005
Draft. reddish amber beer with a nice off-white head. Huge sour aroma. Sour/tart flavor with some berry fruits and oak. Sour with some pop rocks at the end. Doesn’t stand up to Roddenback - a lot of the same characteristics are there (and given the brewer, they should be), but this one was a bit of harshness around the edges where Roddenback really just pulls everything together nicely.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kinz (3291) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - OCT 16, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2009 Beer 1100! Huge thanks to Secret Santa Crosling for this beauty! Bottle #4-1066. Slightly hazy amber with hints of orange, perhaps ruby, good initial head died fast. Aroma of sour cherries and a bit of light chocolate cake. Complex layers of flavor - sour cherry, wood, with chocolate faint in the background. A bit of yeastiness, perhaps a nod towards caramel. A superb example of the style, fitting for a milestone rating. Perhaps better than the numbers here suggest. RERATE: 8/29/09, Relentless Thirst, Lips of Faith bottling. Notes matched, but knocked the score up a bit - this is just a fantastic beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
rudolf (2341) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 14, 2005
This one was rated late in the night. I decided to express my love of this beer by using many, many explatives and pleading to an all-powerful entity that this elixer became available in Buffalo. I’ll sanitize the review for public consumption. Sour cherries, brown sugar, bubblegum, grapes, such a sour and wonderful nose. Quite acidic with apples, grapes, lemon. I understand that this is too acidic but I don’t care. I absolutely love it. Its one of those beers that leaves me smiling long after I swallow. Just freaking amazing. I NEED to trade for a full bottle of this.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 11, 2005
Tasted 9/29 NB Brewery. Sour apples, yeast and suger in the nose. Reddish-orange hue. Tart and sour with an apple, oaky flavor. Puckering brew. 3 year aged, hopefully it mellows later.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 7, 2005
Murky dark orange brown. Small effevescent head dissapates quickly. Plastic and smokey phenols with an acetic sourness. Acetic sourness, tannic fruit, and a wooden tinge in the flavor. Finish is dry with hints of sour fruit. Mouthfeel is light medium and very dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - OCT 4, 2005
Pour is hazy orange amber with thin tan head...smell is oakey cherry...taste is sour with light cherry and grape notes...some nice smoke in there too...nice, very sour...clean dry finish...