overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2005
Bottle 2004 #1971. So, I have 4 bottles of this beer. 3 in the cellar, and one in the frig "just in case". I decide to pop my "just in case" bottle, drink it, and not rate it. Maybe save the rating for a milestone rating. F**K that. After one sip, I knew that to drink this beer and not rate it is a crime so heinous that I should be strung up! My God, what a wonderful beer! Tawny brown body with a lasting head of off white bubbles. Nose has elements of chocolate, antacids, and wet leaves. The real pleasure of this beer is not the nose-it is the taste. Notes of funky geuze, sourness, tannins, oak, wet old leaves (like the way a forest smells when you walk in it after a rain), acidity, tart black cherry, unsweet dry apples, and must. The finish is slightly sweet in a way that beautifully balances the sourness. Those that know me know that I am not a fan of the New Belgium brewery. I was expecting this beer to be a high 3, but I am more than surprised. Just an excellent beer experience all around. I can’t come close to describing the sublime genius of this beer. My first overall 20 ever. Wow.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigNasty (55) - South Lyon, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2005
Tasted at brewery. A very different beer, to say the least. Many people loved this beer, for me, the flavors (especially the oaky, woody notes, which I found dominant) are something I’d rather have in a wine. In fact, in my tasting notes, I compared it more closely to wine than beer. Something different, obviously very well crafted, just not for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
OlivierMTL (711) - Quebec, CANADA - AUG 13, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2007 Couleur brune ambrée aux reflets rouges parsemés d’une dense mousse blanche. Intenses aromes de cerises sures, de vinaigre balsamique âgé, d’acide lactique et de vieux barils de bois. Les traits apportés par les levures de Rodenbach sont assez évidents mais le résultat semble beaucoup plus prononcé, riche et intense. ..Peut-être davantage similaire à la Rodenbach originale. Explosion de saveurs en bouche, chêne, cerises noires sures mais aussi un aspect de grains de caroubes et presque même de racines exotiques. Très tartrique, agréable sensation vineuse, carbonatation piquante gardant la forme et accomplissant son travail à merveille jusqu’à la toute dernière goûte. Certainement une grande bière. Merci Rastacouere !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 10, 2005
Incredible sour ale that is a kick in the mouth, nose and palate. Very, very dry, but it works so well! My only regret with this beer is that it was opened towards the end of the night, preventing me from enjoying it to its fullest extent.

beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2006 Rating # 1000. Pours a clear burgundy color with a thick diminishing offwhite head. Very seductive aroma of sour cherries and wood with some vinegar notes. With the first sip the first thing that hits me is the very strong, mouthpuckering sourness, but after a couple sips I can discover a very refined flavor of cherries ,maple, vanilla,wood and vinegar, I think I’m in love. The body is full with an oily texture and the carbonation level is moderate. What an amazing Flemish Sour, it’s even better than Rodenbach Grand Cru, which is a huge achievement.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JUL 7, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2007 Reddish/brown with decent off-white head. Up front nose sour cherry vinegar makes your mouth water. Oak/woodiness. Initial flavor is all tart cherry and mouth puckering, sour lemons, with vinegar taking a back seat. Oak/woodiness and spritzy carbonation in the finish, really dries out the palate. Doesn’t get much better than this!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - JUL 4, 2005
festival of barrel aged beers 2004. fruity winey aroma. pours a dark amber, with a slight head. it tasts like a fruity wine, with a bubbly palate. then the tart vinegar afterbite kicks in. Not a great beer, but not a drain pour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - JUN 28, 2005
Now that’s a beer "experience". The first thing that came to mind was that this was almost like a beer reduction - like it had been concentrated because it is so rich and full and...sour. The color even has the rich color of having been reduced. No hea, garnet in color. Aroma is sour fruit, with an almost bourbon/rich spirit quality. Very dry and acidic. Very tart and lively - actually ascerbic. Dusty and earthy. Very nice. I wish I could remember which one of my lovely trading partners sent this one my way. I keep terrible notes...but thanks to each one of you. Ah, this makes me think of a feature enhancement.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jimmack (1222) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUN 21, 2005
750ml. bottle 2004(#5182) thanks to Joeec5 for sharing. Auburn color with a thick tan head. Amazing aroma of tart cherries and cedar. Reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru a bit. Flavor was sweet and sour cherries(mostly sour), with some wine like qualities. Heavily carbonated with an extremely dry finish that makes you want to keep taking sips. Slight burning sensation in my throat as it goes down. Damn fine beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joeec5 (204) - bayonne, New Jersey, USA - JUN 21, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2005 awesome aroma, sour, watermellon, cherries. Flavor is complex and enjoyable, dry tart finish beckons me to take another sip. Nice.