overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1321   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - APR 11, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2005 Pours a lite brown with a small bubbly head and good lacing. Can smell the sourness from an armslength away. Lots of phenols. Don’t care for this at all but I think it’s only the seconf I’ve had. The other was Liefmans and it wasn’t anywhere near this sour. Had trouble getting through it and it was split amongst four others. Thanks Whaleman for letting me give it a try. 6,5,4,3,8 re-rate 12-4-05: Pours a cloudy brown with red highlights and a pinkish head. Aromas of krieks, and vanilla. No real funkiness but a hell of a lot of acidity. The body is dry as hell. The beer is so sour that it actually makes me feel like I might caugh. I guess I don’t see what others are seeing in this. It’s fairly one-dimensional and actually biting in it’s sourness. The sour in this sort of beer is supposed to add to the overall character, not be the character. While I have bashed, I did split a whole bottle of it and, as an American, appreciated its extreme nature.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Terminus (3149) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - APR 11, 2004
750 ml bottle-Huge sour aroma of cherries, oak and apple notes. alcohol detected. Very sour palate full of cherry, dry wine, and wood. sharp palate that is almost to much for me. New Glarus Belgian Red runs all over this stuff. highly over-rated

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 11, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 7, 2005 Chestnut color and tight white head. Nice sour, woody nose like a dry fruit wine. Also has a note of plums. Very complex aroma. Mouth-puckering sourness, almost has a sweet tart quality. A long, slow and very nice sipper.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MrRomero (1972) - Nolanville, USA - APR 11, 2004
Whaleman 2004: Poured a cloudy brown with a thin offwhite head. Huge aroma of wine, paint thinner, phenols. Starts off like a beer aged in wine barrels but shifts gears after swallowing ending up like a lambic or gueuze. Very acidic finish. Decent to sip but what I consider to be highly overrated.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - APR 7, 2004
Cloudy mahogany color with a tan head. Extreme apple cider vinegar aroma. Very strong cider vinegar taste, with some cherry, and a little wood in the finish. Not bad, but the vinegar was a bit too much for me.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - APR 7, 2004
Dark, cloudy, reddish brown color with a medium-sized tan head. The aroma was dominated by very strong vinegar tones...some cherry and woody/earthy tones came through also. The flavor was very sour, acidic, vinegary with cherry, wood, and earthy tones. A thicker feel than I expected...crisp, carbonated...dry finish. Very authentic...nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2004
A reddish amber colour with no head. Nose is sour with a strong woodyness. Flavour starts a bit malty then follows through with a strong sour fruityness. Finish is sour and acidic.

Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - APR 4, 2004
Nice aroma - acetic (vinegar) sourness, raspberry, and maybe a little oak/woodiness (I might not get this if I didn't know it was supposed to be there). Reddish color, decent head (tough to tell in my little sampling glass). Intense flavor - strong acetic sourness, raspberry, moderate hop flavor and bitterness, but enough malt sweetness to keep it balanced. Moderate brettanomyces character, horse blanket and hay. Lingering aftertaste, crisp and refreshing. An outstanding beer, complex and intense. Thank you, New Belgium, for bringing this to the GAzBF this year!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FlacoAlto (3737) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 31, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2004 Bottle # 90604, Sampled June, 2004
It is with great anticipation that I open this bottle. I want to see if this can displace pre-Palm Rodenbach Grand Cru. After having multiple samples of this at the GAZBF, I knew that I needed a bottle for myself. This beer pours a lightly hazy deep ruby-amber color. It has a lively carbonation, which generates a fluffy light brown head. An absolutely intoxication, enticing aroma wafts from my glass. I get notes of cherry, balsamic vinegar, raisin, and a certain woodiness. The taste is dry up front and finishes with a strong note of acetic acid. With my second sip I get a hint of sweetness up front. The finish is still dominated by woody notes of balsamic vinegar. While I do enjoy the vinegar component it is a bit too strong in this bottle, it dominates the flavor profile, muting the other complex notes that should be here. This is definitely a "hard" sour brown ale, the acidity is very domination, it is almost too much. Don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying this, but New Belgium has a little ways to go before they dethrone Rodenbach GC. I actually think that this recipe has great potential, give them a few more years and La Folie with be where it is at.

Sampled multiple times at Greater AZ Beer Fest March 2004
The aroma is woody, as well as sour & wonderful. I could smell this beer quite a bit. My first thought upon tasting is that this is a bit more acetic, and a bit more earthy than Rodenbach Grand Cru. It is of course nice & tart, and there is a hint of caramel sweetness to it. It is fruity up front but still quite dry. The finish is dry and tannic with a nice woodiness to it. Sharp is a good description for this beer. This is a wonderfully put together beer, and I can't wait for them to get the ATF approval so that they can ship this to my local. Quite impressive, and I think that I like this a bit better than the Rodenbach GC.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2004
The beer as it pours from the bottle a bemused reddish-amber color, the head smallish in size, creamy in texture and the color a winsome light tan color, with the lace a fine velum like curtain to drape the glass. Nose is tart and simply reeks of over ripe fruit with a pleasing oak and earthy aroma “WOW” what a treat for the old schnozzle, start is tart and nicely malted with the top fair to middling in its feel to the palate. Finish is stern in its acidity, hops delightful and accommodate the fruity tart sweetness quite well, very dry and long lasting aftertaste, what a magnificent beer it is a real treat, and one I wish was more readily available, hopefully soon is what I here, can’t wait to put some of these in my cellar.