overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1316   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - APR 7, 2004
Dark, cloudy, reddish brown color with a medium-sized tan head. The aroma was dominated by very strong vinegar tones...some cherry and woody/earthy tones came through also. The flavor was very sour, acidic, vinegary with cherry, wood, and earthy tones. A thicker feel than I expected...crisp, carbonated...dry finish. Very authentic...nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2004
A reddish amber colour with no head. Nose is sour with a strong woodyness. Flavour starts a bit malty then follows through with a strong sour fruityness. Finish is sour and acidic.

Brodie (540) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - APR 4, 2004
Nice aroma - acetic (vinegar) sourness, raspberry, and maybe a little oak/woodiness (I might not get this if I didn't know it was supposed to be there). Reddish color, decent head (tough to tell in my little sampling glass). Intense flavor - strong acetic sourness, raspberry, moderate hop flavor and bitterness, but enough malt sweetness to keep it balanced. Moderate brettanomyces character, horse blanket and hay. Lingering aftertaste, crisp and refreshing. An outstanding beer, complex and intense. Thank you, New Belgium, for bringing this to the GAzBF this year!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FlacoAlto (3737) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 31, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 5, 2004 Bottle # 90604, Sampled June, 2004
It is with great anticipation that I open this bottle. I want to see if this can displace pre-Palm Rodenbach Grand Cru. After having multiple samples of this at the GAZBF, I knew that I needed a bottle for myself. This beer pours a lightly hazy deep ruby-amber color. It has a lively carbonation, which generates a fluffy light brown head. An absolutely intoxication, enticing aroma wafts from my glass. I get notes of cherry, balsamic vinegar, raisin, and a certain woodiness. The taste is dry up front and finishes with a strong note of acetic acid. With my second sip I get a hint of sweetness up front. The finish is still dominated by woody notes of balsamic vinegar. While I do enjoy the vinegar component it is a bit too strong in this bottle, it dominates the flavor profile, muting the other complex notes that should be here. This is definitely a "hard" sour brown ale, the acidity is very domination, it is almost too much. Don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying this, but New Belgium has a little ways to go before they dethrone Rodenbach GC. I actually think that this recipe has great potential, give them a few more years and La Folie with be where it is at.

Sampled multiple times at Greater AZ Beer Fest March 2004
The aroma is woody, as well as sour & wonderful. I could smell this beer quite a bit. My first thought upon tasting is that this is a bit more acetic, and a bit more earthy than Rodenbach Grand Cru. It is of course nice & tart, and there is a hint of caramel sweetness to it. It is fruity up front but still quite dry. The finish is dry and tannic with a nice woodiness to it. Sharp is a good description for this beer. This is a wonderfully put together beer, and I can't wait for them to get the ATF approval so that they can ship this to my local. Quite impressive, and I think that I like this a bit better than the Rodenbach GC.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 29, 2004
The beer as it pours from the bottle a bemused reddish-amber color, the head smallish in size, creamy in texture and the color a winsome light tan color, with the lace a fine velum like curtain to drape the glass. Nose is tart and simply reeks of over ripe fruit with a pleasing oak and earthy aroma “WOW” what a treat for the old schnozzle, start is tart and nicely malted with the top fair to middling in its feel to the palate. Finish is stern in its acidity, hops delightful and accommodate the fruity tart sweetness quite well, very dry and long lasting aftertaste, what a magnificent beer it is a real treat, and one I wish was more readily available, hopefully soon is what I here, can’t wait to put some of these in my cellar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 22, 2004
#1000... Bottle from 2002, brought it back with me from Colorado during the GABF tour of NB... Deep copper to rubu in color with a medium off-white head that disapates to a thick lacing around the rim. Aroma is musty,acidic,of sour cherries,fruity,oak, with an underlying malt character. Flavor is tangy,sour,acidic cherries, finishes dry.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 21, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2006 Reddish brown with a tan head made up of small bubbles, really small bubbles. Wood, sharp sour cherries, without being overbearing in any way. Starts and ends sour and acidic. Holy crap. I think this beer would be cheap at $20 a bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hildigöltur (5104) - København, DENMARK - MAR 4, 2004
Acidic with notes of cherries and oak. Very complex and slightly sour. A great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 22, 2004
Had this off tap at the brewery. Aroma is sour, even a little bit whiskeyish. Taste is dominated by a sour apple and vinous character. As soon as this hits your mouth, a strong alcohol/sour flavor burts up and out your nose. Very good- this is trying to be the american version of De Dolle Stille Nacht and it's not a bad copy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ungstrup (28448) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - FEB 19, 2004
The aroma is dry, slightly sour and woody, though still sweet with hints of marcipan. The color is orange-brown and it has a fine beige head though disappearing. The flavor is very woody and sour from the wild fermentation. This is really a good beer. Thanks MartinKubert for bringing this to a sampling night.