overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1422   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
pinkzambia (1505) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 5, 2005
Bottle: Thanks Indiana_Red for the share factor on this one. This is a wonderful ale -- a reddish borwn dark copper hazy color with a small off white head. The aromas are wonderful - malt vinegar, red wine (cabernet perhaps) sour cream - strong and distinct. Sniff this long enough and it can clean out the nasal passages! The tastes were equally delightful! Tangy to the max to say the least with sweet flavors resembling a sweet tart. Other affinity was that of a Green Apple Jolly Rancher hard candy! The feel is great and kind of burns the back of the throat a tiny bit mimmicking the feeling after sending liquid down your wind pipe. This was my first Flemish Sour ale and I thought it tasted like an "in between" of a beer and a bottle of wine. Tasty!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
IndianaRed (2501) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 5, 2005
Bottle ’04 vintage # 4723. Rating no. 600 Pours a hazy reddish amber with only a trace of head and wispy lacing. Aroma of sour cherries, apples and soft oak barrels. Almost vinegary. Flavors very tart and dry. Sharp sour apples and cherries but not a sweet and fruity as the aroma suggested. Highly carbonated. Very dry finish but as previously noted not much lingering harshness. As it warms up more of the soft mellow wood tones come out. The last few sips wre distinctly more chalky as I must have stirred up some sediment. Lovely

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bu11zeye (11971) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2005
(750ml bottle, courtesy of Kevin) Pours a cloudy reddish-brown body with a moderate beige head. Aroma of cherry, wood, vinegar, and earthiness. Flavor of tart cherry with a dry, woody finish. Excellent! Thanks again Kevin!

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
dyetube (1183) - McKinney, Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2005
Kinda new to rating beers so forgive if I wrtie wierd! this beer was heavily sour and had a strong vinegar smell and taste, medium body a little carbonation. As Todd from New Belgium put it: "you either love this beer or hate it!" I stand more towards the latter... I would drink this beer again, but on in a small quantity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - AUG 26, 2005
Bottle 2004 #1971. So, I have 4 bottles of this beer. 3 in the cellar, and one in the frig "just in case". I decide to pop my "just in case" bottle, drink it, and not rate it. Maybe save the rating for a milestone rating. F**K that. After one sip, I knew that to drink this beer and not rate it is a crime so heinous that I should be strung up! My God, what a wonderful beer! Tawny brown body with a lasting head of off white bubbles. Nose has elements of chocolate, antacids, and wet leaves. The real pleasure of this beer is not the nose-it is the taste. Notes of funky geuze, sourness, tannins, oak, wet old leaves (like the way a forest smells when you walk in it after a rain), acidity, tart black cherry, unsweet dry apples, and must. The finish is slightly sweet in a way that beautifully balances the sourness. Those that know me know that I am not a fan of the New Belgium brewery. I was expecting this beer to be a high 3, but I am more than surprised. Just an excellent beer experience all around. I can’t come close to describing the sublime genius of this beer. My first overall 20 ever. Wow.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BigNasty (55) - South Lyon, Michigan, USA - AUG 15, 2005
Tasted at brewery. A very different beer, to say the least. Many people loved this beer, for me, the flavors (especially the oaky, woody notes, which I found dominant) are something I’d rather have in a wine. In fact, in my tasting notes, I compared it more closely to wine than beer. Something different, obviously very well crafted, just not for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
OlivierMTL (711) - Quebec, CANADA - AUG 13, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2007 Couleur brune ambrée aux reflets rouges parsemés d’une dense mousse blanche. Intenses aromes de cerises sures, de vinaigre balsamique âgé, d’acide lactique et de vieux barils de bois. Les traits apportés par les levures de Rodenbach sont assez évidents mais le résultat semble beaucoup plus prononcé, riche et intense. ..Peut-être davantage similaire à la Rodenbach originale. Explosion de saveurs en bouche, chêne, cerises noires sures mais aussi un aspect de grains de caroubes et presque même de racines exotiques. Très tartrique, agréable sensation vineuse, carbonatation piquante gardant la forme et accomplissant son travail à merveille jusqu’à la toute dernière goûte. Certainement une grande bière. Merci Rastacouere !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 10, 2005
Incredible sour ale that is a kick in the mouth, nose and palate. Very, very dry, but it works so well! My only regret with this beer is that it was opened towards the end of the night, preventing me from enjoying it to its fullest extent.

beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 3, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2006 Rating # 1000. Pours a clear burgundy color with a thick diminishing offwhite head. Very seductive aroma of sour cherries and wood with some vinegar notes. With the first sip the first thing that hits me is the very strong, mouthpuckering sourness, but after a couple sips I can discover a very refined flavor of cherries ,maple, vanilla,wood and vinegar, I think I’m in love. The body is full with an oily texture and the carbonation level is moderate. What an amazing Flemish Sour, it’s even better than Rodenbach Grand Cru, which is a huge achievement.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - JUL 7, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2007 Reddish/brown with decent off-white head. Up front nose sour cherry vinegar makes your mouth water. Oak/woodiness. Initial flavor is all tart cherry and mouth puckering, sour lemons, with vinegar taking a back seat. Oak/woodiness and spritzy carbonation in the finish, really dries out the palate. Doesn’t get much better than this!