overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1316   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 26, 2003
Heavenly sour fruit aroma, cherries? Hazy ruby, small cream head. Sout/tart taste is a marriage. Exceptionaly good mouthfeel. SUPERB! Thanks again for bringing this along jgb9348!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Radek Kliber (6324) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - SEP 26, 2003
Deep brown chestnut color, white bright head. Decent peaches, apple aroma, some sourness mixed with alcohol. Quiet sour as it should be. Sipping beer, apple, and vanilla.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - SEP 21, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2003 Pours a dark auburn color with crimson influenses. Head is creamy and difinitive. Aroma has cheese and apple cider vinegar. Flavor is averagely tart with cherry essences, very vinous though. Finishes tart and sour but subtle. Overall this was a first for flemish sours and it seemed a little too vinous for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sham (1845) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 21, 2003
Amber pour with a small head that leavs a bit of lace. Aroma is strongly sour, and has lots of fruit. Flavor is very tart, fruity flavors reminding me of pie cherries. Finishes bitter and tart. First try for a flemish sour and not a unpleasant one. Enjoyable and unique.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - SEP 21, 2003
This was my first flemish sour ale and it will also be my last. Talk about getting slapped in the face with the sour aroma. This is the worst thing I have ever tried in my life. I may be stepping on pins and needles here, or toes as it were. Not something I could really enjoy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
joeycapps (1468) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 21, 2003
Hazy brown/amber w/ Light tan head. Lovely lemony, barnyard aroma w/ notes of leather, dried fruit & wood. Light, acidic feel. Complex sour flavour of cherry, green apple, lemon, raisin, oak, & wine. Stupendous.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cartoonkhaki (1220) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2003
Amber and slight haze with a light beige head. Very strong sour with malts. For me this was the sourist beer I have ever had and enjoyed it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jercraigs (7348) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 11, 2011 2011-11-19. Dark red-brown body, small beige head. 3+ Modest sour aroma, sour cherry and cherry pits. 7+ Flavour has a good amount of lactic sourness, cherry notes. 7+ Smooth average plus palate. Decent, but not as intense as I remember it being many moons ago. Curious how much that is the beer being different and how much is me. 7/4/8/3/15 Bottle shared at Rudolf’s Sourfest 2011

2003-09-17 Hazy amber colour. Sour dominated the flavour profile with notes of fruit. Bit of green apples and cherries? I am not a fan of sour (as evidenced by my rating of Cantillon) but I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. If you are a lambic/sour lover add 1 to all my number ratings. 6/3/8/3/13 - 3.3 Tasting at Joey_Capps

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - SEP 4, 2003
Big sweet/sour aroma and flavor. Bretanomyces barnyard character comes through as well. Malty sour finish. Wonderful!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - JUL 29, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2005 I really need to re-rate this beer. I upped my score based on my past 2 experiences whereas my notes are from first taste. I like this beer so much that at RBSG 04 I sat down at the end of the night (for me at least) and finished the last half of hte bottle that no one else wanted and one imbecil was trying to dump down the drain! Old Notes needs to be updated. Please send bottle to me so that I am may update the rating properly.Tart apple aroma. Hints of yeastiness also. Murky brown with an off-white head. Tastes sour. Very cheese like in an odd way. Additional flavors include acetic acid and a slight acidic tinge. Medium bodied and very dry. Very long finish with hints of wood (possibly from aging it in wood barrels). A unique beer.