overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1587   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
La Folie, French for "the folly," is a beer steeped in New Belgium brewing tradition. This wood-aged, sour brown spends one to three years in big, oak barrels, known as foeders. And when the beer finally hits the glass, La Folie is sharp and sour, full of green apple, cherry, and plum-skin notes. Pouring a deep mahogany, the mouthfeel will get you puckering while the smooth finish will get you smiling. Not a beer for the timid, La Folie is a sour delight that will turn your tongue on its head. Find out why itís considered one of the best sour beers around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bigbish (682) - California, USA - JAN 16, 2007
This is my second sour beer, so my rating could be biased a little high, but oh my god is this good. Sour aroma, with a hint of champagne. A very complex flavor that I have trouble describing other than amazing. I will buy this again!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
grease (42) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JAN 13, 2007
2005 Vintage. My brother lives in Denver and sent me 6 of these beauties last winter! I have been cracking them on special occasions, or when thirsty (always a special occasion). The last bottle was last week, and I have to admit that this beer is improving greatly in the bottle. My impressions last year this time were that it was overattenuated and not nearly as complex as the Rodenbach Grand Cru of 5+ years ago. Interestingly, the complexity is improving in the bottle with more complexity in the later tries. I am down to one bottle and will have to save it for a truly special occasion. Intensely sour, some woodiness, tart, and wonderfully crisp on the palate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - JAN 13, 2007
January DMBT. I donít know how to rate this because I just simply donít like these sour beers. I have tried to like them, however, it just doesnít work with my palate. That said, I can tell that itís a well crafted beer, especially for this style. However, I like my beer to taste like beer, not Vinegar. The people at our tasting were split: Either people loved it, or wanted to barf. I, unfortunately, was in the latter group.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
thefederalist (306) - Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA - JAN 13, 2007
Pours dark pink if thatís possible. Very powerful sour apple/grapefruit aroma. Flavor is dry and citrusy, some cherry and more sour apple. Complex, but I find myself wanting something other than sour fruit. Maybe I should get more used to it but at $30 a bottle, that will probably not be possible. Nice interpretation of the sour brown.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
WeeHeavySD (3365) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 13, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2007 Re-rate: PP Strong Ale Fest 07 10th Anniversary Bottle from Dr. Bill. Pours orange/red with a 2 finger tan head. Nose is sick, supremely sour. Taste is sour, with a big killer kick. Damn. Beer 2 of the Bartzilla Death Metal Beer Tasting 1/12/2007, consumed with many great beer drinkers including Bartzilla, Naven, as well as Lee creator of Arrogant Bastard, and a really cool guy. This brew is intense its potnent and it feels like much more than 6% abv. It tastes great but really kicks the throat down, puckering lips that donít exist inside the throat. Its intense, yummy and all in all fantastic.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3382) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 9, 2007
Thanks to MrFacto for this one. Virtually no head forms over this clear, brown-bodied brew. Sour fruit aroma, some leathery notes. Glue?? Sour and acidic, light bodied but not watery. Soft flat palate. Nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bigcat03 (249) - Columbus, Nebraska, USA - JAN 6, 2007
Draught from the brewery poured into sampler globe glass - Pours brown amber with an off white head; Aged wood, cherry tarts, lemon, and a hint of champagne to the nose; Tart lemons, oak, aged red wine, and a little alcohol on the initial taste; Bitters, lemon, and champagne backtaste; A full creamy palate; Nice carbonation; Made me pucker up a little bit, but I LOVED it! A simply wonderful brew. Itís so different compared to anything Iíve ever had. I just wish I couldíve brought a bottle or two back!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - JAN 5, 2007
750. Poured a kinda tan color with no head. The aroma of vinager is ver present. The taste of sour ness and vinager is really diffrent for me. This is beer??????

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jgd0608 (187) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - JAN 5, 2007
750. Pours amber red, with a thin beige head. Smells like vinegar... hmmmm. Full bodied, and iím starting to wonder why they call it a sour flemish?? or maybe its because i wince a i dirnk it. Tastes like a sour vinegar, this is definetly something that will have to grow on me, but definetly, a unique, and interesting experience.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (10889) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 5, 2007
Thanks to cmaruschak for sharing. This brew pours a clear ruddy orange color with a thin off-white head that has decent retention. Thin, spotty lacing. The aroma is fruity and woody. Medium body with a very tart character that does not mellow out much later. Sour fruit flavor offset by a bit of malt. Touches of spice and hops as well. The finish stays sour on the tongue and leaves a tart apple aftertaste that puckers my mouth. Fairly enjoyable despite not being one of my preferred styles.