overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1401   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
La Folie Wood-Aged Biere, is our original wood-conditioned beer, resting in French Oak barrels between one and three years before being hand bottled, numbered and corked for your enjoyment. Brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, came to us from Rodenbach – home of the fabled sour red. Our La Folie emulates the spontaneous fermentation beers of Peter’s beloved Flanders with sour apple notes, a dry effervescence, and earthy undertones.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
theakston (64) - arlington, Virginia, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Simply beautiful. Sour, esthery, fruity and refreshing. lingering aftertaste of oak and mild spices. This reminds me so much of the Rodenbach I used to know. I just wish it was more widely available.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - DEC 22, 2003
Murky red with yellow edges. Whispy, thin head. Very strong aroma of sour apples and unripened berries, barnyward. Very sour and tart from start to finish. The mouthfeel was very prickly, very peppery, very sharp. This beer is very full and very fun to drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
AceOfHearts (1375) - Mountain View, California, USA - DEC 22, 2003
Brown, effervescent, with a thin head. Crisp, caramellish smell, with some apples and other fruits pervasive...exceptionaly good-smelling. Tart and sour goodness in the flavor; I'm finding that this style appeals to me quite a bit. Wish I had some others to try. Effervescent on the tongue, delicious aftertaste. Outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - DEC 16, 2003
Deep, muddy brown with a fizzy, disappearing head that moves it from perfect to above average in appearance. Tart, sout, woody aromas permeated the kitchen upon the pour and the living room as it warmed. Flavor characteristics were somewhat lacking in comparison to the Rodenbach Grand Cru I had the night before. Very tart, sour apple, less-than-impressive malt development to interact with the woddiness towards the finish. More one-dimensional focus on sour/tartness than the RGC, but still a very good beer. Tart, lingering finish that leaves you coming back for more. Not bad by any stretch, but not as developed and complex as Rodenbach Grand Cru.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 12, 2003
This sour ale pours with a cloudy, dark brown body topped by a medium thick, fizzy, quickly disappearing head with a good amount of lacing. The aroma is sour, tart and slightly bitter with vinious notes and a slight woodiness. The flavor is vinious and tart with a strong lemon note, a slight bitterness and a slightly woody character. This ale is medium to full bodied, dry, dry, dry and bubbly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lilannie (384) - Adamstown, Maryland, USA - DEC 2, 2003
Aroma: mediciny, cherry aromas--makes my mouth water; bright smell with a tinge of pine and fresh oak. Appearance: hazy, cloudy, yellowish brown (aka baby poop brown) with a small head. Flavor: slight mediciny/band-aid taste with lots of complex flavors, including sour candies and lemons, all with a certain sharpness. Palate: tart, with lots of bite in the middle of my tongue. Almost pickle wincing--taking the skin off the back of my throat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BBB63 (6019) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - NOV 29, 2003
#508, 2002: Murky amber brown hue with very little head but some lace. Sour cherry and sour apple aromas are upfront with tones of wood, leather, band-aid. The taste was very tart and twangy with fruity and woody undertones. An fullout attack upon the palate. A lip pucker for sure but you finally adjust and are able to find the complexities beneath. The mouthfeel is dry and crisp, very lively. There is something about this beer I was unable to describe, but then I said enough, wonderful. THANKS to Acrodizer for bringing this brew to LP for me to taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TChrome (1417) - Bedford, Texas, USA - NOV 24, 2003
Very pleasent sour experience. As other raters have said this is sour, sour, sour. I could have used just a bit of sweet in here somewhere, but oh well. Look forward to another bottle sometime.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 14, 2003
Timing is important in so many things - and beer tasting is no exception. I had this Flemish Sour style ale at the end of an afternoon of sampling many big, robust, sweet ales and stouts. So my palate wasn't quite ready for this. Nice appearance, cherry-amber color, cloudy and a small white head. Aroma of grapefruit, sour mash and hops. Flavor is sour cherries, spice and more tart fruits. Medium body with nice carbonation. I'll have to obtain some more and do a re-rate on a fresh palate.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jgb9348 (4709) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - OCT 18, 2003
Beer #713 (My Lucky Number):
2002 Bottle #3370
Reddish amber colour with dark brown highlights and a thin tan head. Trillions of small bubbles rise from the bottom if you look real close. Sweet, sour, pungent aroma which makes the mouth water. Some sour fruit smells mixed with nice fruit tastes and a maltiness which is fairly noticeable. Light-bodied; Very sour flavour that shows some character and complexity all the way through the finish. The beer coats the mouth and leaves a nice flavourful sourness at the end. Some of the flavours remind me of raspberries or pungent cherries. Some slight woody and peppery flavours finish out the beer, although they are a bit subtle. Overall, I really liked this beer, and I wish I could have it every day. I thought that this one would be my first 5.0, but the depth in the taste really just isn't there for me to declare this as perfect. This style is really growing on me, and this is a great example of the beer. I have to thank CaptainCougar for sending me this one...i'm really lucky to try it! Cheers Tom :-)