overall
Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 212   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Famous in Michigan for farmhouse ales, our friends at Brewery Viviant introduced us to their biere de garde ale yeast strain. From there, we imagined a slightly tart, intentionally dry beer with hints of bergamot citrus that pairs perfectly with French cheeses.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
crackedmachine (469) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 26, 2012
Clear orange-golden with a lasting, foamy off-white head. Aroma is sour citrus, a little funky spiciness, alcohol. Flavor is sweet, a tad tart, overripe fruit, fermented orange, a little bitterness on the finish, some lasting booze and syrupy orange (bringing to mind Triaminic, or a mimosa with orange schnapps). After the first several sips, my impression of the flavor and palate improved considerably, moving from a semi-cloying start to pleasantly dry and tart. Definitely more enjoyable than my description suggests.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ellolovey (441) - Georgia, USA - DEC 21, 2012
Bomber. Pours a translucent golden color with a thin white head. Some lacing and loads of carbonation. Aroma of cereal malts, citrus, and a bit of funk. Tastes like fruit loops. Sweet cereal malts mixed with a light hint of citrus hops. Some caramel notes Spicy medium dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
johnnyoski (427) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - DEC 18, 2012
Bomber. Mostly clear, golden color with a foamy white head. Aroma is a mixture of yeast, sourdough and citrus. Funky cheese-like flavor. Leaves a slight sour aftertaste that makes your mouth pucker. Average carbonation with a mostly dry texture. Different, but I preferred the traditional Biere de Garde previously offered in this series.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jhgrantjr (416) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 2, 2013
Stumbled on a bottle at Forrest Hill Wine Merchants in Germantown. Have never tried the "Biere de Garde" style. Pours a golden and clear color. Had a good foamy head on the pour. Aroma is slightly citrus, has some of that barnyard funk and spiciness. Taste is tart and fruity, which makes is a little sweet. But as it warms up, it gets thicker and I can taste the alcohol more. There is an aftertaste that I do not like. I think it is a lemon zest. I’ll have to try other versions of this style before I know if I like it or not. This particular one I won’t try again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
musinj6 (383) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 18, 2012
Pours a lemon/golden yellow with lively carbonation with 2 finger head that quickly dissipates and leave no head. Moderately sweet with lemon/orange citrus with spices (coriander?). Yeasty doughy flavor with some mild herbal hops to draw the finish to a slightly bitter end. Medium body with moderate carbonation that quickly settles down after the pour. Very well balanced, given it is a 9% beer. I like it, although it is a touch sweet for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TomTron (363) - Aiken, South Carolina, USA - JAN 26, 2013
Pours a hazy orange with a thin white head. Big time citrus aroma and that dominates any possible other aroma. Flavor is basically oranges and some other citrus, but this is basically orange juice beer. If I didn’t know this had alcohol in it, I would say this is something I would drink with my eggs and bacon in the morning. Not bad, just different and rather interesting.

Onionkid (361) - Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA - NOV 29, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2013 22oz bottle. The bottle says it all! Ale with a hint of orange. Well, yep. Aroma and taste are the same. Had a medium head that dissipated quickly. Hardly any meaningful lacing. Go ahead and detect the minutiae of this beer. I swear to god I read a review on here where the kid said he smelled cobwebs. This is a beer with a solid aroma of orange zest, malts, and cilantro. It also has a hint of caramel and an overall sweet bite. Finish is a bit too caramel. For the price, and for the presentation of "New Belgium + Viviant", I kinda expected more. A very good beer, please don?t get me wrong. I?ll honestly give it high marks and I think it?s very solid and drinkable. 9% alcohol.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GODiSSOUTHERN (353) - Virginia, USA - NOV 22, 2012
Great yeast taste. Strange mix of egg and grape kind of funk to it. Really refreshing semi sweet. Clean and focused.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crispy34 (349) - Texas, USA - FEB 1, 2013
Draft. The aroma is pretty hoppy. There is also some sweetness. The appearance is a hazy golden with a creamy head. The taste starts out kinda lemon zesty and finishes kinda hoppy. Has a fruity sweetness in the middle. The palate is nice. Overall, this is a good beer. Well done. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
raradel (334) - Atlanti Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 7, 2013
Enjoyed at a @JaxBrewBitch bottle share at Brewer’s pizza in Jacksonville,FL... Had high expectations for this one and I would say it is solid but not mind blowing. Really good farmhouse/sour/saison type that is smooth and drinkable. Enjoyable.