overall
Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 700   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Biere De Mars is New Belgium’s exploration of the classic French and Belgian brews celebrating the half-winter, half-spring month of March. Our bottle-conditioned version, however, goes where no BIERE DE MARS has gone before. After gazing at its cloudy, yet glowing orange hue, prepare yourself for a celestial collaboration of oats, wheat, barley malt and lemon verbena, all of which is set into orbit by unidentified flying yeast strains.

BeerBeforeH20 (128) - Minnesota, USA - APR 5, 2013
Lemony, fruity, bretty aroma. pours golden with a wimpy head that dissipates rather quickly. Taste is fruity, floral, with a funk that only brettanomyces can deliver. I can’t really explain why I like Brett beers, but i really like this one and will buy again!

rotoguru (126) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 17, 2007
UPDATED: APR 24, 2010 I’ve had this many many times and figured I’d have plenty of opportunity to rate it despite being seasonal; then NB cut this and brought out Springboard... DOH! In any event, this brew reminds me of Fat Tire once upon a time; something I’ve discussed with a few of the locals. Pours a hazy orange/amber color with ample white head. Great sweet, mild fruity nose. Smooth amber with notable fruit, mild malt and spice tones. Simply awesome; if any beer deserves a perfect score, it’s this one! Really hoping NB jumps off the Springboard and back on this one for next spring. UPDATE: Biere de Mars has returned but is not the same as the original. It has some interesting spices that changed it up. I chose to live in the past and not re-rate this, but I probably will at some point; the average score is likely more accurate than my perfect rating ;).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
apost8n8 (123) - USA - FEB 10, 2006
Too strange for me. The good: Very nice color and mouthfeel very complex taste. The bad: Unfortunately the complexity seems to be made from a large variety of crap. I’m guessing that the big spill bucket at the end of the bar tastes something like this. The nose is worse than the taste. I’ve got 5 more so maybe one will be better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rotorhead87 (119) - Temple, Texas, USA - JUN 26, 2007
I discovered after I bought it that it had a "best by" date of September ’06. I wasn’t too sure about drinking it, but I decided to try it. It turns out that even at this age it is very good. A nice orange colored beer with a good flavor too it. Somewhat sweet but not too much so. I would love to try this fresh as I bet it is wonderful.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GiddyBoy (117) - USA - APR 14, 2003
This was the first brew for me in this style, so I had no idea what to expect. It was crisp and refreshing. The lemon is not overpowering, and the other flavors are well rounded.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
randolphjj (116) - Raymore, Missouri, USA - SEP 26, 2009
Lips of Faith Biere de Mars - bottle. Woooooowwwwww... is there a lot going on in that glass! Gorgeous orange (a true orange color) in the glass without much head. I get a bit of sour on the nose - perhaps some straw. Very very mellow ale - soft on the palate - with complex malt, some spice (but muted) and some nice wild yeast.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jwr07 (113) - Decatur, Georgia, USA - APR 8, 2012
Courtesy of my roommate Ryan. Pours a cloudy goldenrod color. Smells like funky, yeasty citrus. Delicate carbonation. Tastes tart and slightly sour, like a funky Belgian hefeweizen. Nice wheat, citrus, and mild peppery spice flavors. Tastes slightly mild, but is probably just right for a hot day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DallasBryan (111) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 25, 2003

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fomentateur (110) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2004
As I carefully poured the beer to avoid getting any sediment in my glass I lashed out a quick "dought" when little floaties invaded my beer. Then I read the label and had to laugh as apparently flocuant yeast was added to the bottle to achieve this exact effect emulating the rotating planets. So with yeast circling around in the Mars orange to red beer with no head allowing the fruity aromas to escape the hole in the artificial atmosphere created by the goblet I enjoyed the subtle malt caracters complemented by the slight fruitiness of a typical ale. Overall well balanced and a real pleasure to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GreatSatanUSA (107) - Austin, Texas, USA - APR 30, 2003
Enjoyable fruit beer, tastes kind of like a lager with subtle citrus/orange flavor.