overall
Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 702   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Biere De Mars is New Belgium’s exploration of the classic French and Belgian brews celebrating the half-winter, half-spring month of March. Our bottle-conditioned version, however, goes where no BIERE DE MARS has gone before. After gazing at its cloudy, yet glowing orange hue, prepare yourself for a celestial collaboration of oats, wheat, barley malt and lemon verbena, all of which is set into orbit by unidentified flying yeast strains.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 13, 2004
No head or lacing in this one. Orange aroma with some hoppy smells along for the weak ride. Lemon, hops, and carbonation about sum up this one. Not bad, but could be better.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Malakin (469) - Victoria, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 4, 2006
Very hazy amber with a fluffy head and a herby citrus aroma. It’s heavy on the spice and I’m not liking some of the specific spices that are standing out, too much coriander for example.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - JUN 23, 2004
Bottle. Pour is an almost orange amber. Nose is sweet and hoppy with some citrus. Taste is very flat. Almost no carbonation. First flavor notes are citrus, bitter, hops, and caramel. There is a flavor here that I do not like, but I can’t put my finger on it. There is a flavor on the back of the tongue during the finish that reminds me of sucking on cardboard. To sum it up, this beer is not very enjoyable. Blah.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Kinz (3450) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAR 29, 2005
Medium, hazy orange, decent but quickly fading head. Hard to get an aroma off of this, very faintly of wheat and oranges. Flavors were muted and subtle, not like the Belgian Saisons that are so much more in your face. The "unidentified flying yeast strains" lent an odd, sour off note at the end, almost reminiscent of a spoiled batch of homebrew. Too bad, as I had really been looking forward to trying this. Thanks to TannerTavernBoys for giving me the chance to sample!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
oldrtybastrd (3222) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - DEC 14, 2005
Pours a hazy orangish/gold color. Aromas of tart fruit, bread, hint of citrus. Flavor is malty/citrus. Leaves a yeasty orange aftertaste. Not for me.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
WhiteSoxFan (152) - USA - FEB 27, 2006
Tap at the Wash Park Grille, 23 oz mug served with an orange. Cloudy Orange color with a decent white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Not much aroma. Taste was refreshing and light, but not overly flavorful, a tiny bit citrusy. Fairly unimpressive overall. Kind of a dry, fizzy mouthfeel. Probably a good summer lawnmower beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
skoisirius (1819) - Earth, Washington, USA - MAR 15, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2006 Getting a tip that this years batch was much better than past (2005/2006), I went ahead a gave the Biere De Mars a try. Poured a light orangish color that looked intriguing. The aroma to me was not much of anything, and if anything, wasn’t great. This hit my palate and sent shock waves of hoppiness, and bitterness, with almost a sour taste to it. I was not impressed, as I have had much better saison style brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
uglyblond1 (177) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 21, 2006
Pale orange. Interesting aroma, but enough wheat to put me off. A complex flavor for a lighter style, but has a wheat funk that is not pleasant to me, and a fruity yeast finish. I can see why some would like this, but I don’t like wheat beers, and this has a special wheat flavor I don’t care for. I wish it used rye instead.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
DYCSoccer17 (3448) - Woodland, California, USA - JUN 20, 2009
22 ounce Lips of Faith bottle purchased from the Pole Line Nugget in Davis, CA. Aroma has some musty barnyard yeast notes at first, which is followed by some light sweet aromas. Some spices present as well. Very slightly hazy dark golden/orange body with a medium whitish head. Sweet, doughy start, which becomes well...pretty bland. Light spiciness to finish. Not much bitterness. A little yeas character, but all in all this is a real snoozer. Doesn’t taste like a BdG to me. It has a very thick oily body, too.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - JUL 10, 2009
22oz bottle. Kind of a dark gold pour with a nice white head. Sweet, somewhat spicy aroma, a little peppery as well. Not a whole lot of flavor realy, trying to get some discernable flavor,but can’t put my finger on anything, let down.