overall

RATINGS: 1401   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
Our Trippel Belgian Style Ale (pronounced triple) opens with a bold blast of hops that slowly gives way to the fruity esters implied by our Belgian yeast strain. The Three Graces hand-painted on the label are Zeus’s daughters Aglaia (splendor), Euphrosyne (mirth) and Thalia (good cheer). In the Belgian tradition of brewing singles, doubles and triples, Trippel is the strongest with the longest fermentation. Remarkably smooth and complex, our bottle-conditioned Trippel is spiced with a trace of coriander.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 28, 2002
Dark gold color, small head. Hoppy, VERY floral hop taste, light and refreshing. Nice smooth malts. Full bodied. Mouthfeel is pleasantly smooth and round. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Floral hop taste is the focal point for this beer. Very different nice taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
foduck (330) - Denton, Texas, USA - SEP 28, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2004 Re-rate 3/11/04: Seems to have improved some? I don't know. A little spicy esters, adequate hop bitterness, some sweetness. Really good beer for an American brewery of this size. I am impressed, great price, good flavor, I buy it frequently.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
sethdude (702) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 26, 2002
UPDATED: APR 4, 2004 Golden, hazy color. Thin head, decent lace, smells spicy/fruity. Flavor hits me as banana, clove, and maple. Creamy mouth feel. Hides the ABV very well. Aftertaste very pleasant, reflects the flavor very well. So complex, took me several tries to figure out what exactly was happening with the flavor of this beer. Very Nice. Note all of the suspended yeast. Wears out the palate fairly quickly. Best one at a time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 14, 2002
A wonderful trippel, big moosy lasting white head. Cloudy golden colour. Fruity aroma, with some yeast. Nice complex flavour you would expect from a trippel. Just a great beer, could be NB’s best.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nuffield (3714) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2002
My pour produced a fluffy white head, somewhat remaining over time, on a lovely hazy body. Full aroma, yeasty. Flavor was charming--fruitiness, grape, bubblegum, banana, hint of clove. Nice subtle bitterness in the finish. Whenever I’ve approached non-Belgian "Belgian style" beers, I’ve held a presumption against them--an unfair bias. This one convinced me otherwise. Lovely body, complexity of flavor. I’m not so keen on such a dry beer (would prefer the sweetness of some Belgians) but not a reason to dock this very much. Not a perfect beer, but very well put together.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
albertk99 (12) - Denton, Texas, USA - SEP 12, 2002
Very fruity tasing beer, very unique flavor. It’s my favorite of New Beligum’s so far. If you’re looking for a unique beer give this a try.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - SEP 5, 2002
Very yeasty and spicy on the nose, which is quite ample. Dry throughout. This is one of the driest beers I’ve ever had. Malt backbone seemed to be somewhat lacking in this trippel as compared to others of the style. Finish is dry and clean. Color is hazy golden with a smaller head than I wouldv’e liked on a trippel. Still very enjoyable and a little bit different that your average trippel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
gbzia (195) - Cedar Knolls, New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2002
One of my favorites from NB and probably the best domestic Tripple. I have some being aged. Also watch for the Grand Cru which is brewed every 1000 batches of NB beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - AUG 26, 2002
Spectacular belgian trippel. This beer is a winner.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 24, 2002
My favorite New Belgium brew. Earthy floral taste. Golden color with a big head that tats into fine brussel’s lace. Great complexity for an American beer. two thumbs up.