overall

RATINGS: 19   MEAN: 3.71/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jcwattsrugger (11071) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - FEB 22, 2008
(at Delaney’s)-on tap-pours a rich retaining off white head that laces and yellow/gold color. Aroma is many Northwest sweet citrus hops, medium malt-caramel. Taste is many Northwest sweet citrus hops, medium malt-caramel. Smooth, easy drinking. APA?

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rocbyter (1886) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - JUN 23, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2008 Sampled at the 2nd Annual Litchfield brew fest. Very light malt aroma with a good amount of Brocoli. Golden color. Mild malts with that brocoli taste coming through.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 29, 2006
A pretty good offering from these brewers. Pours coppery. Smells of citrussy and piney hops with a nice malt base. Taste is of citrus, pine, some sage and a tangy malty finish. Mouthfeel is peppery and tingly on this one. Worth a try if one ever finds it on draught.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 21, 2003
I found a bottle of this tucked away in the bottom of a cooler the other day, and figured I'd try it. Sadly, it was pretty far gone. Body was really huge for a golden/blonde ale. Hopefully New England will open up again and I can try this fresh. Rating is boosted to make up for oldness. Rerate if i can find a relatively fresh one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
omhper (19192) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - JUN 3, 2002
Golden coloured. Sweetish, malty, medium biterness.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
PhillyBeer2112 (2514) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - AUG 18, 2001
As I first poured it, I remarked that it was an impressive appearing beer. They call it a gold ale, and it sure is a bright golden color. It had an amazing rocky and firm head that rose up almost an inch above the rim of the glass without spilling over- completely held its shape and lasted the whole glass (although that didn’t mean much as I loved this so much I downed it within a couple of minutes). The aroma was really complex and amazing. At first I noted a ton of hops: piney, citric, herbal and generally crisp - there’s alot going on there. Next I picked up some almost chocolatey or caramelly notes. Taste was clean and crisp. Refreshing hop character, medium bitterness, smooth maltiness. Medium bodied and so easily drinkable it was gone before I knew it. There was even still a big creamy dollop of the foam left in the bottom of the glass.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUL 13, 2001
UPDATED: OCT 13, 2003 What a sad thing it is that I won’t be able to update this beer again as they have ceased production, not that its available here, but I did have a few kind people to take pity on me and sent me a few bottles now and then, a tear has been shed, hopefully this will be reversed. The beer pours a beauteous clear gold, large and impressive white creamy head and some thick sheets of lace to seal off the glass. POW! hops right in the schnozzle, sweet malt under pinning, citrus crisp, a real treat, the start is sweet, the top is middling. Finish is “Big Time Hops, moderately acidic, dry and lightly bitter aftertaste, a damn good beer and one I hope to see again, as I’m sure the beer God’s won’t let us down.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Oakes (12167) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 13, 2001
Dark tan; fruity-hoppy aroma with lots of spices (tumeric, black pepper, rosemary); woody bitterness, hop-spice flavours reminiscent of sandalwood and hop oil; long, lingering bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bov (9245) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - DEC 22, 2000
honey colour, big creamy head, fresh, lemon and nutty aroma, nice acidity, some astringence, very dry aftertaste - don’t shoot at me but this beer as some analogies with the great Orval.