New Glarus Black Wheat

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Stein, Weizen

RATINGS: 394   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 172   ABV: 5.75%
Expect this beer to pour the deapest black body topped by an opulent head of lip smacking foam. Roasted chocolate and toasted caramel notes brim over the top. Lavish spice aromas of clove and cinnamon are promoted naturally by the yeast we import especially for this most individual of brews.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
malachi (62) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 4, 2005
Small, but lasting head on this one. Body was a muddy, dark brown. Definite chocolate/caramel/burnt/nutty taste. Creamy/thick texture. Quite tasty. I’m sad that I only have one left (part of a beer-sharing/beer-tasting program I’m in). First official review for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 3, 2005
Very dark brown color with a slightly noticeable cloudiness. Tall tan head with a continuance of bubbles and a very sharp ear. This head does not subside, over an inch of foam above the rim as I managed to cram the full 12 oz. into my 0.3 l glass. Roasted malts, dark chocolate and saffron greet the nose. Smooth and lightly silky. From all the bubbles I was expecting a bit more effervescence on the palate, but it was rather sedate and relaxing. This brew has captured what many of the german dunkles miss. Light spicy cloves mingle with just a touch of banana and dark chocolate. Finish has some more clove and just a hint of cinnamon. Wheat and malt flavors weave in and out as you partake. A work of art in the world of weiss beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 3, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2005 After making my way through the 6-pack of this gem, I had to go back and bump my original rating of 4.6 up a point to 4.7 to reflect the greatness of the beer. Nevertheless, here’s my original review:

Thick, deep, muddy, impenetrable dark brown. Looks chocolatey. Small, wispy, off-white head. Smells of bananas, roasted chocolate, cloves and yeasty rye bread. Taste is mouth watering and full-bodied. Very rich, like an espresso laden mocha. Has a Schwarzbier-like dry malt complexity that hangs around the mouth for awhile and awakens the palate. Greatly spiced. Lively carbonation, but not over the top. This beer is to the dunkelweizen category as New Glarus’ Solstice Weiss is to hefes. Hands down the best dunkelweizen I’ve ever had. I’m thankful I have five more of these in my fridge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hezron (610) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 2, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2005 Pours dark muddy brown with a small light brown head. Aroma of bananas, burnt malt and a hint of clove. The taste is comprised of roasted or burnt flavors almost like burnt popcorn, which isn’t a bad thing in this case. I also tasted chocolate and a hint of the banana-ish wheat flavor. Palate is on the watery side of creamy.