overall

RATINGS: 537   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
If you dream of wheat this brew will get your toes tapping. Since 1995 we have brewed Bavarian style wheat beers exclusively for the same great state that grows and malts our own Wisconsin wheat. In a world full of posers this is a true hefe-weizen naturally 100% bottle fermented and hazy.

Expect this beer to cascade effervescent into your glass. The rich spicy clove and cinnamon notes will greet your nose while sweet fruit and wheat kisses your lips.

Lick the foam from your mouth and admit sometimes you just gotta get up and dance.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - AUG 13, 2007
On tap at Bennoís Microbrew Tent at the State Fair, Milwaukee, WI. If there was such as thing as an exemplar of German Hefeweissen, this would be the beer. If RB rated to style, this man of odd-looking dance would reign king at 5.0. Aromas of hay, banana, cinnamon, alfalfa blended nicely with the various smells of the festival, both fair and foul. Hints of nutmeg and walnut blend with cane syrup and grass on the palate, aiding and abetting my experience with the swine nearby. An excellent beer to complement an always enjoyable state fair. Bravo, Dan Carey. (And by the way, the lederhosen are always a nice touch at the Great Taste, although the Super Hop Hearty needed some reworking.)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
iowaherkeye (2691) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - AUG 12, 2007
12oz bottle. Hazy bright orange with a three finger creamy off-white head that lasted most of the glass. Ripe bananas, clove, lots a lovely yeast, and even hints of vanilla and vanilla pudding make up the aroma--I didnít pick up any cinnamon. Flavor adds a bit of a lemon tang to cut the sweetness of all the aforementioned aromas. I donít think this has any bitterness at all. No idea this thing was as strong as it is. Medium body with lots of carbonation. I found this beer to be totally awesome, and Iím glad I picked up a case. My empty glass smells of very spicy cloves.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (2975) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - AUG 12, 2007
12 oz bottle

Iíve had a couple of these now. My conclusion is that while this is an awesome release I canít wait for the next one. It is a perfectly made hefeweizen ... which means I canít get all that excited about it. It is on par with the Piece Top Heavy Hefeweizen which I had later (but entered earlier). If only it were possible to cellar this, I would drink it again next summer.

Aroma / Appearance - The hazy orange body danced lightly around the glass swirling into a yellow murk towards the base. A bleached white head sat on top the entire time, wavering only a little towards the end. Vanilla, wheat, whipping cream and a very strong fruit foundation make it accessible to almost anyone.

Flavor / Palate - Ripened bananas, wheat and a hint of butterscotch (not in a bad way) hit the senses the first. The tastes do not really change over the course of this very sessionable beer. It only took ten minutes to finish off and then I was ready for the next one. Perhaps I just like my hefeweizens heavier on the fruit than most but that was the only major flaw I was able to find. If this were an annnual relase I woul buy several sixers a year.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JohnnyOS (646) - Golden, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 11, 2007
Pours cloudy gold with average head. Aroma of wheat and spice with dark fruit. Flavor matches aroma - a tad too much sweetness for me, but I could just be getting sick of the dark fruit theme... itís been in virtually all their unplugged series and now seems to be creeping into their others... .

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 10, 2007
Pours a nice cloudy gold with a medium-sized white head. There is plenty of lacing throughout. Aroma is heavy with wheat and spice. The taste is very robust for a wheat beer but not too over-the-top. It finishes very crisp and is not as rich as other wheats. Nicely balanced, and thus easier to drink a lot of it. Cheers New Glarus!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 16/20
BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 10, 2007
Thanks to Skyview for sharing. Hops and wheat on the nose with faint yeast. Similar flavor. Cloyingly sweet bubblegum finish.

awautlet (45) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 7, 2007
Pours a nutty brown. Aroma smells of rich wheat with hints of spice. The palate was fuller for a wheat beer which makes it a little different than many American wheats. Wonderful crisp and slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3336) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 7, 2007
Bottle. Pours to a really hazy graham cracker brown body with a tall, lasting, airy meringue white head. Awesome head retention, lacing, and color. The aroma is alive with crisp wheat, bubblegum clove yeasts, ripe bananas. The best smelling German Hefeweizen Iíve ever smelled. Notes of graham crackers. The flavor is wheaty graham crackers, ripe bananas, light bubblegum yeasts. Very tasty. The palate is medium bodied with a nice vibrant carbonation. Light lingering quality of flavor, but finishes clean. If there ever was a perfect beer in any style, this is it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
prosqtor (408) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 5, 2007
I was very excited to try this wheat beer at the State Fair. So excited that it was my first beer of the day! Alas, my excitement waned as soon as the first drops touched my tongue. Thereís too damn much wheat in here, so much that, when combined with all of the cinnamon and malt it tastes like a piece of bread. Maybe some people like that, but itís not for me. From the tap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - AUG 5, 2007
Thank you Drewbeerme for this 12oz bottle. Cloudy orange apperance with huge white long lasting head. Strangely I can get the cinnamon in the nose as well as other spiciness and a small amount of sweet malt, also some alc. Orange as well as other fruit in the flavor as well as wheat, banana, biscuit, very solid. Full body and creamy. As I said very solid. I wish I had greater access to these beers.