overall

RATINGS: 699   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
100% Wisconsin malt of six different varieties impart the natural toasted color to the bottle conditioned unfiltered ale. Clean hazelnut notes result from these carefully chosen barley malts. Hops from Slovenia, Bavaria and the Pacific Northwest give Fat Squirrel its backbone.

seuinoz (142) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 19, 2003
what else can i say besides (awesome beer) a another fine beer from the New Glarus Beer Company an A+ in my books again keep up the good work New Glarus

peacefrog6799 (1) - brunswick, USA - APR 19, 2014 does not count
While visiting Wisconsin I found New Glarus Fat Squirrel. I found it to be one of the best craft brewed beers I have tasted. Too bad it is only sold in Wisconsin.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
pch49 (4) - Alabama, USA - DEC 30, 2012 does not count
12 oz bottle. Pours brown/amber. wonderful aroma - malts, caramel, hazelnut on back end. Very nice body. Well done New Glarus.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
gnatman (10) - - MAR 8, 2012
Whenever I find myself in Wisconsin, this is always something I look for. I really wish they would distribute nationally.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
punkabilly1970 (3) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 14, 2014 does not count
This is a nice solid brown ale. This will remind you of your first bottle of Newcastle when you were a kid, but without the awful skunked smell/taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
AdamSplitter (7) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - SEP 21, 2007 does not count
Bottle in Montello, Wi. This is my favorite beer. Nut brown with hazelnut notes. Rich mouthfeel, very malty, barely detectable hops. Finishes smooth and creamy with hints of caramel and toffee. I didnít consider this a "brown ale" at first, thinking more rich "amber", but the name correctly implies nutty brown. Not as rich or heavy as a Newcastle.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
78samh (145) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 2, 2010
12 oz bottle from my uncle Tom( thanks! ) Poured a reddish brown lighter than I thought it would but normal for one of my favorite style of beer. Great flavor throughout a with malty, nutty, toasty and mildly hoppy goodness. This is in my top 10. I wish I lived closer to WIsc. since this is only available there. :(

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DTB (51) - South Philly, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2006
I poured this beer into a snifter just for fun. Once in, it looked rather boring as a dull brown, but when held to the light, it began to glow with a beautiful cherry color with some hints of amber. The head fell to a wispy firm with a few larger bubbles floating around in a group. Smells of dry woody caramel malts and a bit of walnuts. Thereís also a faint but playful citrus sour dryness that reminds me a bit of melon. Thereís a definite nut and dry caramel base here, but on top thereís first thereís that melon like orange rind sourness that really gets noticed farther back on my tongue. More prominently is a dry, birch bark dryness that eventually fades to a cool campfire smokiness with just a hint of chocolate. There are some neat dynamics and some cool layering going on here. The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with a full mouth of bubbles that really thicken things up, but seem to dissipate when I swallow. Perfect! This oneís tasty for sure. Iím glad I got a sixer. Thanks to BA Doolar for hauling this one all the way from WI.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
stevehousebeer (7) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 9, 2007 does not count
That cute squirrel has climbed to the top of my personal beer charts and I donít think Iím gana bring him down any time soon. Great nut flavor with the proper effervecance. Nose is sweet with out being to overpowering. A beer that all must try at lest once in their beer drinking life.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
slavnikus (3) - Pinckney, Michigan, USA - MAY 30, 2007 does not count
Excellent beer! One of the best from New Glarus. Great flavor and good aftertaste. Keeps you coming back for more.