overall

RATINGS: 717   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
100% Wisconsin malt of six different varieties impart the natural toasted color to the bottle conditioned unfiltered ale. Clean hazelnut notes result from these carefully chosen barley malts. Hops from Slovenia, Bavaria and the Pacific Northwest give Fat Squirrel its backbone.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
fmbrewing (12) - Dodgeville, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 26, 2005
I have tried a number of nutty beers but this one tops them all! If this is on tap at a bar or restaruant, I always ask for it! I love it served real cold (which I typically donít like) and in a tall glass! Give me more please!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
unbound (2) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - SEP 10, 2006 does not count
Pours a rich amber with a diminishing head. A very smooth brown ale, one of my favorite browns. Rich caramel, with touches of biscuit, and some very faint hop notes on the finish. I love the mouthfeel, not too heavy, but rich and full.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DocLock (8386) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 25, 2006
Thanks to buckybeer for this one. Pours deep brown with 1-finger khaki head. Aroma of rich roasty malt, huge nuts (walnut, hazelnut, almond), brown sugar, peaty malt. Dense, complex, nutty palate, with flavors of roast malt, the aforementioned nuts, brown sugar, and cacao. This is a world class nut brown ale, and I cannot believe they didnít add real nuts to this. If you donít like this, then you are a real nutsack.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cperry8483 (41) - Platteville, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 8, 2007
Along with Spotted Cow (which isnít that great), this is the classic NG beer that everyone in WI claims to love. Very nutty flavor but not overpowering, with an excellent texture and mouthfeel. This beer is a great session beer, just very smooth and very tasty. There is a good reason this is one of the best Brown Ales on ratebeer. Outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
weatherdog (3) - Moline, Illinois, USA - OCT 11, 2007 does not count
At first I wasnít a fan but then this nut brown ale grew on me. Very nutty flavor but not overpowering and I enjoy it greatly. Iíve had both bottle and on tap and I donít know if itís the atmosphere but I prefer it on Tap. (not to mention itís only $1 a frosty mug at my local watering hole)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
discmann131 (6) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - NOV 1, 2007 does not count
Overall this a great Nut brown ale. Smooth and inviting with a high drinkability quotient. I;ll once again search this one out when I go back to WI.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bstroh707 (13) - West Virginia, USA - JAN 1, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2012 A malty, nutty concoction that is smooth and pleasing. A pleasant aroma, color, and pallate make this an easy drinkiní nut brown. Iíd rate it higher if it had higher ABV. At only 5.5, Iíd probably rather drink a Scotch ale, but this is good if itís all you have access to.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drp6 (12) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 6, 2015
Really good full bodied dark beer definately nutty, but not overpowering, light aftertaste - best that New Glarus makes IMHO.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ssinger1485 (23) - Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 3, 2007
I love this beer. It has an excellent and fairly strong nutty/caramel aroma to it. It has a wonderful nutty flavor to it. It has a nut texture...Imagine the texture in your mouth right after youíve swallowed some pecans. I guess itís hard to explain, so youíll have to try it yourself! Highly recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ads135 (3338) - Lawrence, Kansas, USA - JUL 8, 2013
This is just about everything youíd expect from a Brown Ale, but with very little to criticize. Nutty, toffee, and brown sugar. Medium bodied and well balanced.