overall

RATINGS: 209   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Embrace a classic! Home Town Blonde is an old world style pilsner, assertively hopped with four premium hop varieties. Tettninger, Saaz, Styrian Golding and Strisselspalt varieties all grace this German-style brew with the complex character you enjoy in a classic pilsner. Expect to pour an elegant blonde glass of beer, crowned with a rich head of foam that resonates with our chorus of hops. Although delicate in appearance, our Hometown Blonde has a backbone, but of course that’s no surprise in Wisconsin. Enjoy!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
djmcfar (64) - Ixonia, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 2, 2004
I dont really like pilsners that much, but this is the best one that I have tried. You can tell that choice ingredients were used - nice head - good lacing - hops present in the taste, with malt and some fruitiness. I was reluctant to buy it because I dont like pilsners, but New Glarus has not dissapointed me yet, so I gave it a shot.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
tkhans (50) - Bangor, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 11, 2007
Smeels good looks good and It seems to have an ok taste on the first sip but an overpowering bitter hop taste gradually did me in, a little overboard Daniel, but I’m still a fan of your brewery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Duellist17 (34) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 12, 2007
Pours crystal clear light golden with a lingering head. Nice spicey hop aroma and flavor. All americans who think they know what a pilsener is, need to try the real thing!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
WiFlatlander (25) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 18, 2007
A bit hoppier than expected but reasonably full bodied. Well crafted carbonation with slightly bitter finish

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
houseofwares (21) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 12, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 16, 2009 Bottle. Pours pale gold. On the nose you’ll find malt in front of lemon, lime, and citrus hops. The body is thin, but has "backbone". The flavor is perfect for warm weather, or warm fare with soft citrus fruit followed by an array of subdued hop notes. There hasn’t been a New Glarus beer that I haven’t liked, and this is no exception. Fuck you.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
LongShotRX (15) - Barronett, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2007
This Pilsner seemed to me a bit more like a pale ale than any thing else. Its the most aggressivley hopped pils I have come across. There is little malt to be found in the taste because the hops dominate the flavor. Very bitter finish. I heard so many good things about this beer that I ordered a case without so much as trying it. Now, the case is gone and I am left with the opinion that my search for the perfect pils goes on.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
egranum (6) - USA - JUL 31, 2007 does not count
Bottle. Surprised at how light and airy the taste was at first with a quite hoppy aroma. Very smooth with a light, almost sweet aftertaste. More flavorful than Spotted Cow, yet lighter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
christopherw34 (5) - - AUG 17, 2012 does not count
Opened a 12 oz. bottle and poured into the proper pilsener glass. Upon bringing the glass to my nose, this pilsener noticeably bursts with noble hop aroma, and holds a fluffy, foamy, white head with a golden appearance. Unlike Two Women lager, this pilsener’s taste is not as acidic, and has a sweeter body and taste; a bit more towards the German style pilsener, but not as sweet as a traditional munich helles. I assume this is due to the mash water ph. In addition to the slightly sweet body, this pilsener has a quite spicy and complex hop bitterness that lingers on the palate. Don’t expect some big, palate abusing beer in Hometown Blonde. However, for the style, New Glarus hit the nail on the head like always.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
pch49 (4) - Alabama, USA - JAN 9, 2013 does not count
12 oz bottle - pours lemon yellow. Thin head, aroma lemon and hops. Nice full body - good balance, nice use of hops. Another winner from New Glarus.