overall

RATINGS: 226   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Embrace a classic! Home Town Blonde is an old world style pilsner, assertively hopped with four premium hop varieties. Tettninger, Saaz, Styrian Golding and Strisselspalt varieties all grace this German-style brew with the complex character you enjoy in a classic pilsner. Expect to pour an elegant blonde glass of beer, crowned with a rich head of foam that resonates with our chorus of hops. Although delicate in appearance, our Hometown Blonde has a backbone, but of course that’s no surprise in Wisconsin. Enjoy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
starewich (147) - - AUG 26, 2012
Lighter beers rarely leave me wanting more but this one did. The key grass and corn flavors are there but there’s actually some malty substance to this that sets it apart from lesser specimens.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
stefanberggren (135) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 16, 2007
I have praised Dan and Deb for bringing this back to our open mouths ! The taste is malty with an assertive bitternes (flavor and aroma) not as dry as some dort style lagers, but better balanced. Flavor is perfect and this is what my great grandfather would have loved after pushing the manual lawnmower around. I wish and can hope that they make this a year round beer !!!! PS this is also Dan’s favorite beer to brew (as told by Deb) Cheers !

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 4/20
felsenpils (117) - Sacramento, California, USA - SEP 23, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2012 Bottle. A seasonal brew. This is my favorite of the New Glarus beers. It is a decent pilsener, but the color is too dark due to the use of caramel malts which do not belong here and the aroma and flavor of hops is too strong. This is not an "old world style pilsner" as it says in the description, rather an American micro-pils, along the lines of Samuel Adam´s nobel pils. The hops taste "green" because of dry hopping which you would never find in a German pils. New Glarus has all the tools to make really great beer, but never gets there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jarlbartar (89) - Janesville, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 20, 2007
Poured a real blonde with an aroma of flowery hops and some maltiness, maybe butterscotch notes. Taste is full of bitter hops with some clove accents and grass. Left a hoppy, bitter aftertaste, a very good representation of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MacDouglass (88) - Illinois, USA - SEP 7, 2012
Aroma: boozy grain and bread crust, the ubiquitous brewery smell; Appearance: don’t all pilsners look great and refreshing? Nice medium-thick head on pour, and a crisp, clear, bubbly yellow; Taste: a lot more hops than you can pick out in the aromatic boquet, something reminiscent of clover/grass; Palate: very refreshing and drinkable, maybe a little bit heavier than most pilsners, subtle sweetness lingers on the palate; Overall: a good pilsner, but, even though I’ve given it a high score, I probably won’t be able to remember very much about it once I’m through the 6-pack

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jdog76 (85) - madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 29, 2004
I'm not a big fan of pilsners. But this is the best I've had. It poured out a bright blonde with a 1.5 inch head that took a minute to go down. Nice lacing. It had a very smooth taste that was also easy on the palate. Nice fruity and citrus undertones make this a very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drunkenbum84 (73) - kenosha, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 10, 2008
Another superb new glarus beer. Lots more great hop flavor than your standard pilsner. Great slight malty flavor as well. Excellent example of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
djmcfar (64) - Ixonia, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 2, 2004
I dont really like pilsners that much, but this is the best one that I have tried. You can tell that choice ingredients were used - nice head - good lacing - hops present in the taste, with malt and some fruitiness. I was reluctant to buy it because I dont like pilsners, but New Glarus has not dissapointed me yet, so I gave it a shot.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
tkhans (50) - Bangor, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 11, 2007
Smeels good looks good and It seems to have an ok taste on the first sip but an overpowering bitter hop taste gradually did me in, a little overboard Daniel, but I’m still a fan of your brewery.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Duellist17 (34) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 12, 2007
Pours crystal clear light golden with a lingering head. Nice spicey hop aroma and flavor. All americans who think they know what a pilsener is, need to try the real thing!!